Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 mechanic wanted in san jose area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pt_700
i've decided to give in and call in a professional. can someone recommend a 914 mechanic, preferably mobile to get my 914 running?

as far as i can tell, no signal to the injectors. trigger points seemed ok and i've swapped out the relays for the fuel injection and fuel pump.

car's in south san jose.

tomh
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Jun 13 2011, 04:21 PM) *

i've decided to give in and call in a professional. can someone recommend a 914 mechanic, preferably mobile to get my 914 running?

as far as i can tell, no signal to the injectors. trigger points seemed ok and i've swapped out the relays for the fuel injection and fuel pump.

car's in south san jose.

Call Jeff and get a new FI harness.It worked for me
JeffBowlsby
So maybe we can help you, these are fairly simple FI systems. Modern day techs, may not be able to help you with these old cars. Do you have a stock engine/FI set-up? Have you done anything in the engine bay recently and did it run before?

Sometimes, no signal to the injectors is simply an unplugged ground. Check the three paired wire connections at the top rear of the engine case to be sure thay are all attached to the 3-spade lug ground connection, to see if that resolves it. They come undone easily.
pt_700
thanks for the help, i'll try to give a quick review of what's going on.

stock 1.7 djet except for a pertronix ignition replacing the points. was running fine until i shut it off in a drive through several months ago. so far, i've swapped relays to try to rule out those. the fuel pump cycles on for a few seconds after turning the key. previously, i was able to get a sputter by splashing a little fuel in the intake so, i'm pretty confident it's fuel and not spark related. i've also removed the dizzy to inspect and clean the trigger points. i was able to notice the circuit opening and closing afterwards on my owm meter.

i've long known about very low fuel pressure (below 20lbs) and made the mistake of swapping in a used fuel pump before figuring out why it wasn't running. for some reason, i now have zero fuel pressure as measured at the tap on the driver side fuel rail. is there a procedure to prime the fuel pump?

last time it quit on me, i found a broken wire at the 4 wire plug going into the auxiliary air regulator (silver rounded component mounted to the passenger side of the engine compartment, near the battery, just above the injectors - 1 hose to the intake). i soldered it and it ran. that repair still appears to be holding, i have continuity between both sides of my crummy solder job). i suspect another broken wire, just somewhere i can't easily see.

jeff, i did see the little ground with 3 plugs on the top of the case (slightly towards the passenger side, correct?) and they appear to be well connected.

as you can see, i've tinkered with it a few times over the months but, am not very good at the diagnostics. kind of ironic, years ago when i 1st got the car i worked on most parts of it aside from inside the engine or trans., including the djet. this one might have me beat. would be really cool to find a mobile mechanic so i can avoid the expense / hassle of towing. the car's on, get this, jackstands (?!) in my garage.
JeffBowlsby
That thing on the right side of your engine bay with 4 wires is not the AAR, its the MPS, the most critical sensor. AAR is over by the front center of the engine, has 1 red wire coming out of it.

But no fuel pressure is a major issue, solve that first. Have you swapped the fuel pump recently or changed the fuel lines...? maybe you interchanged them? If you did, you would not have fuel pressure, its a common thing to do with these cars, by mistake. Check that out, get fuel pressure, maybe the car will start.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.