Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Filler Leaks Oil On Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
English7
My 914 has a 1.8 engine..

Yesterday I took the 914 out for a 30 minute drive..The engine has new duel webber carbs, installed and tuned by a very good porsche mechanic - it starts fast and runs great and I don't believe there are any issues with the carbs.

This oil / smoke thing happened.
After cruizing around for aprox 20 minutes .. I drove up I-90 uphill east bound at about 65-70mph, exiting at snoqualmie exit, and as I drove up to the red light to get back on I-90 west bound - I noticed in the rear mirror that the engine and rear of the car had a whitish smoke coming out trailing the car.. coming from the engine compartment area. I drove (slower) back down I-90 west bound, not seeing any more smoke. When I arrived back at my place the smoke was not there, but I could smell an oil smell
After putting into the garage with engine turned off, I opened the engine cover and could see OIL up on the inside of the engine compartment lid .. the engine cover lid was wet enough to visibly see the oil in a circular area the size of a basketball , and oil was on the engine area directly below - around the area just below the metal oil fill housing assembly. The thick wire was pulled up where it should be, locking the OIL housing in place... I have not replaced any gasked on that OIL assembly that may be what needs replaced. Perhaps? OR? what could be allowing the OIL Fill assembly to leak oil? It looks like I have a bit of blow-by oil coming out onto the hot engine when applying heavy throttle and taxing the engine when going up I-90. The add OIL housing ' - where the dip stick is, may be allowing oil to escape onto the hot engine (creating smoke in engine compartment), and may be a big enought leak that some oil is spraying up onto the engine cover - inside lid area (visably wet with oil upon my return). If this forum has any advise or ideas about fixes for this. I would appreciate hearing back from someone that's had a similar issue. I'm thinking its just an oil gasked problem - but the visable oil on the engine and engine compartment lid may indicate more of an issue than the gasket..or perhaps that wire isn't seating the oil filler assembly tight enough in place? Hope to hear back..
Thanks!

r_towle
At high revs you create alot of pressure inside the engine and the heads/valve covers.

How are you venting the motor now that you have carbs....cause its not enough, thus the blow out on the highway...

Rich
Elliot Cannon
Does the engine have an oil breather? If so, is it adequate and working proberly. If the carbs were set up by an experienced Porsche mechanic it should.
English7
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 14 2011, 10:14 AM) *

At high revs you create alot of pressure inside the engine and the heads/valve covers.

How are you venting the motor now that you have carbs....cause its not enough, thus the blow out on the highway...

Rich

Rich, Thanks for your reply. Unsure of engine venting.. but what you have indicated makes good sense. I've just called Monte (my mechanic) European Porsche in Redmond .. thanks for the tip on this. I'll post to the forum once I have more on this and hopefully get it resolved. Thanks, Todd
English7
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 14 2011, 10:17 AM) *

Does the engine have an oil breather? If so, is it adequate and working proberly. If the carbs were set up by an experienced Porsche mechanic it should.

Elliot, Thanks, that's two replies with same topic re: oil breather, so we are on to something ..exactly what I was looking to find, thank you for you reply. I have a call into my mechanic now..
Todd
r_towle
with carbs you should have removed the PCV valve on the oil filler tower and route that hose to the carbs to provide case venting.

Head vents can be added to the heads with a drill, tap, and a standard NPT pipe fitting (brass 3/8 fitting with a barbed tube) to give you head venting.

All of that should be routed to the carbs via a breather system similar to this one attached.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=238
English7
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 14 2011, 10:14 AM) *

Rich

Rich- I have an EMPi breather with the sponge filled with oil inside.. needs to be cleaned I am sure, not sure if it has a 'dump can' .. what other alternatives might i want to think about?
thanks
Todd
English7
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 14 2011, 11:00 AM) *

with carbs you should have removed the PCV valve on the oil filler tower and route that hose to the carbs to provide case venting.

Head vents can be added to the heads with a drill, tap, and a standard NPT pipe fitting (brass 3/8 fitting with a barbed tube) to give you head venting.

All of that should be routed to the carbs via a breather system similar to this one attached.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=238

Ok. I see the link sent, thanks, thats on the car now, and I'm still getting smoke n oil, I'll check on head venting ..thanks! will get back here with findings.
r_towle
If the rings and valves are worn and you have alot of blowby, the empi unit will not be able to keep up.
Routing of the oil lines is a key factor also..there should be no horizontal sections that allow the oil vapor to condense back into oil or it will clog up the venting system.

The real cure is more venting...but you may have blown out a gasket in the mean time.

Rich
McMark
A picture of your engine bay would tell the whole story. wink.gif

You coming to Medford? poke.gif
English7
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 14 2011, 05:07 PM) *

I've attached 3 images of engine area.
1. oil under lid -- (to the right of center point on lid)
2. oil under black hose (routes from breather box to oil filler hose connector)
3. Oil visable on black engine shroud cover

looks like oil is coming out from lower and spraying up.. due to underside of hose(s) and engine lid visable wet areas..

Also the oil fill tower - held in place by wire pull clip, is not very hard to seperate from where it seats when lifing from front side. It tilts easly and I presume this is that way on all 914 1.8's due to hold down wire clip attaching from back side of assembly - pulling up from behind tower into where it seats in to notched metal slot.
is there any way to improve the oil fill tower seating? ... seems a bit frail in dealing with seepage, or any oil pressure surrounding the seat area.. any thoughts?
MEDFORD?? idea.gif
Thanks!
Todd
r_towle
no pics, try again
Each pic needs to be less than 500k
There is an FAQ area of how to attach pics.

Rich
English7
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 15 2011, 02:12 PM) *

no pics, try again
Each pic needs to be less than 500k
There is an FAQ area of how to attach pics.

Rich

Yes, I figured that out, they are there now Rich.
Thanks, Todd
r_towle
Take a few more th show the whole engine bay.
What are the two hoses going into the trunk?

Get underneath and see if the oil cooler is seaping from below..or the oil filter.
Filter gasket can get sucked in during high reves...then it blows oil all over that side.
Oil cooler rubbers/gaskets can blow oil everywhere cause they are inside the cooling system....so it comes out in odd places under pressure.

You can wipe and look for drips on the cooler and filter.
Might have to start the car and get the oil pressure back up to get the leak to happen, but if you did either one...it will now leak at any pressure.

Rich
r_towle
Oil pressure sensor is missing the rubber that goes around it.
That is a big air leak, and possibly a small out leak that blows straight up when it sprays out more and high revs is loads of air pressure.

Lines up with the deck lid spray also.

rich
English7
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=263
313]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=263312]
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 15 2011, 03:36 PM) *

Oil pressure sensor is missing the rubber that goes around it.
That is a big air leak, and possibly a small out leak that blows straight up when it sprays out more and high revs is loads of air pressure.

Lines up with the deck lid spray also.

rich

Rich, here are a few more pics of engine area. I'll take more and get them on here when i get back home also will check out underneath as indicated ..thx

Not sure ..so I've circled in yellow what I think may be the area for oil pressure sensor, is this correct? [color=#FF0000]

There are zero hoses going into the trunk area. Hoses were added for oil breather etc., when dual webbers were installed..
Thanks!
r_towle
yellow circle is the oil pressure sensor.
It has a special rubber gasket that goes on there.

If oil is inside the cooling tin, it may come out there like a gieyzer...(sp)

The other thing to look at is the routing of those oil lines to the breather, and see if the breather is full of oil, or the sponge is full.

the best way to avoid oil vapors in the engine bay is to add two 90 degree 3/8 fittings to the aircleaners and route two hoses from the Empi breather to the carb air cleaners...
You also need to remove the standoffs (belt sander) that the cover to the breather rests upon to close the lid.
All oil vapor and gases will get sucked into the intake.

Its really a more eco friendly way of doing it, and it eliminates oil vapors from the engine bay.

As the motor gets older, and you get more blowby at the rings, you will get more oil in the venting system at higher revs.

Rich
English7
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 15 2011, 05:30 PM) *

yellow circle is the oil pressure sensor.
It has a special rubber gasket that goes on there.

If oil is inside the cooling tin, it may come out there like a gieyzer...(sp)

The other thing to look at is the routing of those oil lines to the breather, and see if the breather is full of oil, or the sponge is full.

the best way to avoid oil vapors in the engine bay is to add two 90 degree 3/8 fittings to the aircleaners and route two hoses from the Empi breather to the carb air cleaners...
You also need to remove the standoffs (belt sander) that the cover to the breather rests upon to close the lid.
All oil vapor and gases will get sucked into the intake.

Its really a more eco friendly way of doing it, and it eliminates oil vapors from the engine bay.

As the motor gets older, and you get more blowby at the rings, you will get more oil in the venting system at higher revs.

Rich

Thanks for the overview of possible problems. good stuff!
I think I may have found part of the issue. Take a look at the misalligned oil fill tower gasket pic .. I stopped by porsche mechanic yesterday and got a new one.. I'll use some gasket sealer on the tower side and be sure its centered etc., then lock it down. mechanic sez he soaks 'em in water first... any comment on that or best way to center the gasket?Click to view attachment
Question: Where can I find that rubber gasket for the pressure sensor ..pelican? or? thanks rich!
-Todd
r_towle
Looks like you may have found it.
Remember...hig revs are what is doing that and rings.
The pressure from the combution chamber is leaking past the rings and adding more pressure to the case.

It will keep finding new ways to get out.
While you have the oil filler tower off, take off the hose and see if the PCV valve is still there.
If it is, drill out the center to allow more flow.

Rich
English7
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 16 2011, 10:21 AM) *

Looks like you may have found it.
Remember...hig revs are what is doing that and rings.
The pressure from the combution chamber is leaking past the rings and adding more pressure to the case.

It will keep finding new ways to get out.
While you have the oil filler tower off, take off the hose and see if the PCV valve is still there.
If it is, drill out the center to allow more flow.

Rich

Yes! That may be it.. is there any recommended oil gasket seating method? so this doesn't happen again.. .. I'll dbl check for a PCV Valve in hose (going to oil breather), and clean out the breather & sponge and all hoses and, is circled item in picture the sensor gasket plug? thanks.

ToddClick to view attachment
r_towle
I would suggest a light adhesive to make sure its square...then put the tower on.
Never soaked one before...seems to work better to let it start out dry.

The PVC valve is the fitting on the black box tower....sometimes its left as a PCV valve when what you really need to do is drill it out so the oil can flow back into the case.

That is not the seal.
I looked on Pelican and cant find it.
Call GPR, he will know, and have one.

Rich
Porsche914-76
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 14 2011, 05:07 PM) *

Hi Mark this may be the issue .. let me know best way to fit the new oil tower gasket?

Old gasket (pictured) obviously was not doing the job, there was no gasket adhesive used.. another porsche guy sez he soakes the gasket in water to expand it..
looking for advise on this

Also my 76 914 is hard steering.. has new tires, w/ correct psi.. is there a way to lube steering assembly?
Click to view attachment

thanks!
todd
Porsche914-76
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 16 2011, 11:06 AM) *

I would suggest a light adhesive to make sure its square...then put the tower on.

The PVC valve is the fitting on the black box tower....sometimes its left as a PCV valve when what you really need to do is drill it out so the oil can flow back into the case.

That is not the seal.

Rich

Thanks Rich.. Great info!
-todd
Porsche914-76
QUOTE(Porsche914-76 @ Jun 17 2011, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 16 2011, 11:06 AM) *

That is not the seal.

Rich

Thanks Rich.. Great info!
-todd

>>>Call GPR? >>>Do you have a number? Thanks!

McMark
I bet it's your oil pressure switch. I've seen them fail and spray oil. It would be easy to see with the engine running and revving the engine to build oil pressure.
McMark
BTW, that breather box is meant to be installed with the cover up. Installing it on its side like you have there could cause the oil that builds up in the box to drain onto the engine making a mess. I would recommend reorienting it.
914 shifter
your throttle cable has a few broken wires/strands blink.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 17 2011, 07:42 PM) *

BTW, that breather box is meant to be installed with the cover up. Installing it on its side like you have there could cause the oil that builds up in the box to drain onto the engine making a mess. I would recommend reorienting it.

I kept thinking the breather box angle looked wrong but though maybe it was just my eyes.

I would seem there would be more of an oil mess at the breather box mounted at that angle unless someone put a gasket on the lid. Sealing the lid would increase the crankcase pressure too.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.