Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how fast can you trade out heat exchangers?!?!?!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
ok, how fast can all you real mechanics change out the heat exchangers on a 2.0L? i have about 3 hours before we have to head down to connecticut for dinner and the weather in western mass is just too damn nice to be stuck in the subaru wagon cool_shades.gif cool_shades.gif

well off to jack the little beast up and see if i can be done in time! wish me luck........
rhodyguy
if you haven't soaked the nuts/studs down for a day or two, and you break one, about a week. if you have a bunch of drill bits, the right tap, a step up stud, new copper o-rings and nuts, and some rtv everything will be dandy. unless of course you don't wrap a piece of tape on the bit to keep yourself from drilling too deep. how fast can you pull and engine and a head?everyone will be very happy holding dinner because you started working on your car on easter morning. i'm not going NEAR my car today. let us know how it all works out.

kevin
joea9146
Do not force those nuts off... and break them. You may need to heat them cherry red to get them off this can be very time consuming..... Good luck. Hope it works out, enjoy the drive
Dave_Darling
I've removed them in a half-hour, and replaced them in an hour or ninety minutes.

When nothing went wrong.

Believe it or not, that has actually happened once or twice!!

--DD
Bleyseng
Use lots of PB Blaster and they will come off pretty easy. If you snap a stud they are going to be holding dinner along time.
Geoff
scottb
well...... it ain't happenin'

got under the car and found out the PO had put the heating ducts together with zip ties. also found the currently rusted out exchanger on with both metric bolts and allen head bolts. i lack the proper allen head fitting. i also found that i am missing some of the heater parts. so my little project is going to keep the little money pit up on jack stands for a while.

guess that's how it goes!!!! beer3.gif
rhodyguy
atleast you'll get to dinner on time with clean hands. so, did you wake up the neighbors with the cursing when you saw the state the po left you car in?

kevin
scottb
to stunned to swear...... i rolled out from under the car and grabbed a beer while shaking my head.... what a sight. if i can find the digital camera, i will post pics...
rhodyguy
well, we know what the next wtb post will be in the classifieds.
Bleyseng
I can't believe the PO didn't fix everything right! That never happens! Are you sure those are Porsche zip ties?
Geoff
scottb
clips! that's what is missing from the heat exchanger system that generated the use of the zip ties! un-fucking believable! at least he could have wrapped some high temp stainless tape around or something to at least seal the system.

do people suck or is it just me...?
SirAndy
QUOTE(scottb @ Apr 20 2003, 03:25 PM)
do people suck or is it just me...?

PO's suck. always. i could fill a book with little things like that.

ar15.gif PO fighting19.gif
Lawrence
It's extremely frustrating to find f'd-up repairs from a PO.

But on the bright side, at least all the parts are available to fix this one, hey?

-Rusty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.