Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil on Flywheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914fun
I had a local mechanic install a new clutch, Pilot Bearing, and Rear Main seal. but now shortly after i see oil everywhere under the car. looking in the whole in the top of the trans I see lots of oil on the flywheel and can tell the oil is coming from where the trans and the motor meet. Could he have put the rear seal in wrong? Is that possible?
underthetire
Yes, and if you don't use one of the "good" seals, you'll be doing it again. Don't ask how I know dry.gif
914fun
How could he have messed that up? Can it be put in Backwards? or any other way?
windforfun
What a PITA. This is exactly the kind of BS that I HATE!!! You have my condolences.
914fun
I feel bad for the shop he worked at because it was blown away by the tornado. So I wanted to talk to you all before I tried to find him or even if I should.
simonr
He pounded the seal in too hard. You need to have him fix it quick or you will foul the clutch. I just went through this . i was the one who learned the hard way about being too agreessive with tapping it in
Cap'n Krusty
Motor oil? Gear oil? Did he change the flywheel o-ring?

The Cap'n
914fun
He did not put it on the list of things he did. But I'm putting a lot of oil in it. Probably have not driven it 200 miles and have put in two quarts. So I have stopped driving it.
iamchappy
I just put one in last weekend, i put mine in the freezer overnight oiled up the inner seal and tapped in right in with a 4" pvc shower drain....
IronHillRestorations
That's a bummer. Unless it's REALLY bad, you may not need a new disc, but I'm betting a new main seal and flywheel O ring will be needed.
914fun
Think your right. The clutch seems to still be working good so I hope it will be ok. Is there something I should clean it with when I get it apart? Maybe just dish soap and water.
simonr
clean it with acetone nothing else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.