Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternative to Pertronix?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ltd
I have installed at least 20 Pertronix ignitions on mostly stock 914's in my shop. The benefits are limited to dwell and related timing that does not change and eliminating points maintenance. The failure rate has been low but more than I would like, mainly because of 2 that have failed on 1 customers 914 (there have been others). Pertronix says this is a consumer fault by leaving the ignition turned on without the engine running. I don't think stock 914's need MSD and other complicated and expensive ignitions. Do any of you other shop owners or experienced repairers have a trusted points replacement? Thanks! Brad Mayeur
underthetire
All the Compu-Fire modules have been great. Im not a shop owner, nor do I claim to be an expert.
JmuRiz
I've had a Crane xr700 on mine for years, never had any problems with the ignition...now the carbs on the other hand....haha.
Crash207
I just put a "Hot-Spark" mod in mine. It was $50 on ebay. Had to file the base a bit to get it to fit. Fired right up and ran smother than it ever did before. I was honestly amazed at how easy and effective it is.
Zundfolge
QUOTE(914ltd @ Jun 15 2011, 09:33 AM) *

Pertronix says this is a consumer fault by leaving the ignition turned on without the engine running.

I thought the newer Pertronix units had solved this problem (dunno because mine is an old one that was installed a decade ago and still works fine)?
r_towle
because there is no accessories setting on the key, you have to deal wit this and I suspect any unit will burn up if the key is left on for a long time...even the coil could overheat.

The suggestion I have is to hardwire the stereo via a fused switch that allows the user to turn on the stereo without turning on the key.

Rich
Drums66
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 15 2011, 01:37 PM) *

Pertronix says this is a consumer fault by leaving the ignition turned on without the engine running.

I thought the newer Pertronix units had solved this problem (dunno because mine is an old one that was installed a decade ago and still works fine)?

......I also thought and read that this had been aleviated? idea.gif popcorn[1].gif(shouldn't be an issue!)
markb
I prefer the Crane xr700, however the new 2.0 has a Pertronix already installed. If it ever craps out, tho, in goes a Crane.
ChrisFoley
Pertronix in the dizzy and spare points in the glove box for D-jet.
Mallory dizzy for carbs and L-jet.
No maintenance; failures are few and far between.

I don't like the Crane units much. Besides, I thought they went out of biz.
swl
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jun 15 2011, 01:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 15 2011, 01:37 PM) *

......I also thought and read that this had been aleviated? idea.gif popcorn[1].gif(shouldn't be an issue!)

Last I looked the pertronix II wasn't available for our distributor.
Cap'n Krusty
I used to sell Crane, but they're hard to get now ad they're complicated to install. I used to work for the guy that prototyped them for Allison. I sell and like Compufire ignitions. If they'll live in a Hardly, they'll work anywhere.

The Cap'n
Zundfolge
QUOTE(swl @ Jun 15 2011, 07:16 PM) *

Look again biggrin.gif
Derek Seymour
http://www.hot-spark.com/Hot-Spark-SVDA034-3BOS4U1.htm

This is the best solution if you have a newer "brain". However it seems that during the "SMOG Wars" for lack of a better term, Bosch used the type IV as a test bed for FI technology.

To sum it up stock is the best solution for any stock motor.

IMHO smile.gif
914werke
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 15 2011, 08:11 PM) *

Look again biggrin.gif

Haudiosolutions
I have a Crane xr700 but it isn't installed. I can't ger the shutter to fit. grrrr
blitZ
I've been using the Hot Spark module for over a year and it works well.

Hot Spark
914ltd
QUOTE(914ltd @ Jun 15 2011, 08:33 AM) *

I have installed at least 20 Pertronix ignitions on mostly stock 914's in my shop. The benefits are limited to dwell and related timing that does not change and eliminating points maintenance. The failure rate has been low but more than I would like, mainly because of 2 that have failed on 1 customers 914 (there have been others). Pertronix says this is a consumer fault by leaving the ignition turned on without the engine running. I don't think stock 914's need MSD and other complicated and expensive ignitions. Do any of you other shop owners or experienced repairers have a trusted points replacement? Thanks! Brad Mayeur

Thank you all! As I said, I've had a limited number of failures with the Pertronix, most are still working fine after many years of service. The customer has agreed to give it another try. Brad
ThinAir
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 15 2011, 08:11 PM) *

Look again biggrin.gif

This is for non-vacuum advance distributors. Not for stock D-Jet distributor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.