Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weekend as a Judge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Ferg
Denver PCA puts on one big Concours for the year, it's a all makes and model charity event, always a great show 450+ cars, but the Concours part leaves something to be desired.

I didn't enter the Carrera this year, as I decided to donate my time as a Judge, help set up, park cars ect. I took second last year, and I didn't want to enter for second again, I took the easy way out and did Display only. Looking back, I could have won this year. Oh well.

Anyhow, I did engine bays of about 14 cars, Mostly Lotus and Lamborghini, only came away impressed with 1 car (turns out he won overall) a 85 Countach, Not a easy car to prep, and he made 2 year old Gallardo's look bad. Props to him.

Here is my biggest complaint. I was done Judging, hanging out, when I was called over to help Judge another Judges car. She of course had to find a substitute. I happily complied. I ended up doing the exterior on her 74 911, almost identical to my Carrera, easy...

She decided to make herself the timer, 5min per car at this event, and mostly cleanliness is being looked at. First she botches the timing, way over 5 min with a oops, sorry, I forgot to give you one minute to go. Then instead of giving my scoring sheet to the runner to take up to the Judges booth, she comes up and takes mine, and instantly starts questioning my deductions dry.gif Her car was not all that impressive, but I did my best to be nice and in general terms explain what I saw. If this was a newb I'd had loved the opportunity to make it a learning experience and give constructive advice, but she's a veteran who was just being abrasive about her score. She didn't even read my notes before she started in with the why this why that.

In the end I just walked away from her as she was still in a huff...

I stuck around for any protests on her part but none ever came. Oh well. Hope she's in it next year against my car w00t.gif sunglasses.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 15 2011, 11:46 AM) *

Denver PCA puts on one big Concours for the year, it's a all makes and model charity event, always a great show 450+ cars, but the Concours part leaves something to be desired.

I didn't enter the Carrera this year, as I decided to donate my time as a Judge, help set up, park cars ect. I took second last year, and I didn't want to enter for second again, I took the easy way out and did Display only. Looking back, I could have won this year. Oh well.

Anyhow, I did engine bays of about 14 cars, Mostly Lotus and Lamborghini, only came away impressed with 1 car (turns out he won overall) a 85 Countach, Not a easy car to prep, and he made 2 year old Gallardo's look bad. Props to him.

Here is my biggest complaint. I was done Judging, hanging out, when I was called over to help Judge another Judges car. She of course had to find a substitute. I happily complied. I ended up doing the exterior on her 74 911, almost identical to my Carrera, easy...

She decided to make herself the timer, 5min per car at this event, and mostly cleanliness is being looked at. First she botches the timing, way over 5 min with a oops, sorry, I forgot to give you one minute to go. Then instead of giving my scoring sheet to the runner to take up to the Judges booth, she comes up and takes mine, and instantly starts questioning my deductions dry.gif Her car was not all that impressive, but I did my best to be nice and in general terms explain what I saw. If this was a newb I'd had loved the opportunity to make it a learning experience and give constructive advice, but she's a veteran who was just being abrasive about her score. She didn't even read my notes before she started in with the why this why that.

In the end I just walked away from her as she was still in a huff...

I stuck around for any protests on her part but none ever came. Oh well. Hope she's in it next year against my car w00t.gif sunglasses.gif

Really bad form on her part - from the start! If she isn't watching the time, then people are not judged equally. Had I been there & watched the judging of my car, compared to other judging times, I would have protested. And, after chairing,judging and participating in countless concours' I've never been close to protesting (well, one Parade) because I consider it bad form.

The idea that she saw her judging form before any others in her class is, quite frankly, cheating.

Good job Ferg!
Tom_T
Bad form, bad sportmanship-womanship, bad attitude .... just plain ole BAAAAD!!!! mad.gif

Last Sat. 6/11 we had our Orange County Region Zone 8 CdE, & I did the Full Concours group - Undercarriage with Engine. I had no problems & entrants were Vets. Geez, on the 930 I couldn't find anything anywhere up in there, & believe me - I tried, & expected to find at least some minor stuff on the underside if anywhere!!!! blink.gif

However, later on that day while talking with a couple of the other judges, apparently a couple of the well known CdE Vets in Zone 8 too have shot off at the mouth about judging complaints. dry.gif

Maybe a lack of sleep preparing impairs their judgement!!?? confused24.gif

In any case - in ours we went over the scoring sheets with the entrants afterwords & before turning them in, but we only had 2 cars for Full C this time (356 & 930), whereas there were maybe 20 in Street (ext, int, stor, engine judged) - so we had time to suggest where to catch up on maint. things - e.g.: 356 had a pushrod tube leak on the left that I pointed out, for which the owner was grateful.

We only do maint. & cleanliness for our Regional & Zone 8 events as well, no originality except to break a Zone level tie. Also at Z-8 the protests can only be on the rules - not how one judges, so I was surprised that some of our CdE Vets would protest - or gripe-n-whine! huh.gif

With, that BS would only go so far with an entrant - judge or higher mucky-muck or whatever - and then my tone would change to one of lambasting them for such poor conduct, & then register a complaint at the Zone level! mad.gif

Having played Rugby for 26 years - we got used to accepting the Ref's (judge's) calls - right or wrong - or risk being ejected from the game & causing our Side (team) to play short 1 player! So you just didn't do it, & you respected the fact that they're volunteers out there doing it for the love of the sport, & so that we could have our Match (game), League, Tournaments, etc.

IMHO - it should be the same here for PCA or any CdE or other events! shades.gif
... and the whiners need to get a life! dry.gif

Good on you Ferg, for volunteering your time! beerchug.gif
Ferg
Was this the 930 you judged? If so it's incredible, I've been all over it myself.

Tom_T
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 15 2011, 05:04 PM) *

Was this the 930 you judged? If so it's incredible, I've been all over it myself.

I'm not sure Ferg. The owner's name was Joe something (sorry - my half-zymers kicking in again! blink.gif ) and he's an Orange Coast Region member who has campaigned his car the past 2 years or more in Zone 8, but I don't know if he's come your way. He one this one & his points the past year put him up for the annual award (5+ shows in 1st) from what I understand. I think he only got gigged a tenth for a bit of dirt waaay in back, by the engine judge, overall - otherwise a perfect score.

The 356 had a few 10ths here & there, but he only decided to enter on Friday & prepped then, as a prelim to the big All Marques CdE in Dana Point in a couple of weeks - so he was looking for our input for where to work next on his car. It was a beautiful resto job though, and looked to be all correct.

I think both may be shooting for the 2012 Parade in Salt Lake City too.

I felt for them all cuz it's held on a bluff overlooking Dana Point Harbor, and we had the typical SoCal "June Gloom" low clouds & fog - with mist all morning, so as fast as they could wipe it was damp again. We overlooked the atmospherics for everyone though (primarily for the exterior judges that is).

Here's a local article on it with a few pix, but none of the 930 nor 356 in Full C:
http://www.ocregister.com/news/porsche-304...ana-annual.html

In Z-8 the Full Concours folks can trailer/truck to the site, then they have to drive onto the grounds to park & leave; whereas all the other divisions must drive to the site as well, unless it's out of state (i.e.: for preservation, street, wash-n-shine/French, specialty).

So I doubt that they've seen much street time on either car! biggrin.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 15 2011, 04:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 15 2011, 05:04 PM) *

I'm not sure Ferg. The owner's name was Joe something (sorry - my half-zymers kicking in again! blink.gif ) and he's an Orange Coast Region member who has campaigned his car the past 2 years or more in Zone 8, but I don't know if he's come your way. He one this one & his points the past year put him up for the annual award (5+ shows in 1st) from what I understand. I think he only got gigged a tenth for a bit of dirt waaay in back, by the engine judge, overall - otherwise a perfect score.

The 356 had a few 10ths here & there, but he only decided to enter on Friday & prepped then, as a prelim to the big All Marques CdE in Dana Point in a couple of weeks - so he was looking for our input for where to work next on his car. It was a beautiful resto job though, and looked to be all correct.

I think both may be shooting for the 2012 Parade in Salt Lake City too.

I felt for them all cuz it's held on a bluff overlooking Dana Point Harbor, and we had the typical SoCal "June Gloom" low clouds & fog - with mist all morning, so as fast as they could wipe it was damp again. We overlooked the atmospherics for everyone though (primarily for the exterior judges that is).

Here's a local article on it with a few pix, but none of the 930 nor 356 in Full C:
http://www.ocregister.com/news/porsche-304...ana-annual.html

In Z-8 the Full Concours folks can trailer/truck to the site, then they have to drive onto the grounds to park & leave; whereas all the other divisions must drive to the site as well, unless it's out of state (i.e.: for preservation, street, wash-n-shine/French, specialty).

So I doubt that they've seen much street time on either car! biggrin.gif

If the color was that greyish white (forgot the name) it's the same 930, he brought it out to Colorado 2 years ago for Parade in Keystone CO. I knew he was a CA guy., Joe sounds about right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.