Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I get my trunk open?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matteyp
I was putting the lock back together on my rear trunk today and now it won't open. How do I get it open without the button? Thanks

Matt
Rand
If you know where to poke at it, you can release it by pushing the latch in through the hole. With the button out you might be able to see enough.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(matteyp @ Jun 15 2011, 02:26 PM) *

I was putting the lock back together on my rear trunk today and now it won't open. How do I get it open without the button? Thanks

Matt

Clarify the situation a bit. This help request is rather vague. Is the lock assembly installed and it won't work? Is the lock assembly NOT installed but the trunk is closed? Did you have the tab off the lock assembly, and maybe got it back on but it's in the wrong orientation?

I'm guessing you're talking about a 914 ..................

GOOD INFORMATION is CRITICAL to getting GOOD answers!

The Cap'n
matteyp
The button is not out it just won't release it
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(matteyp @ Jun 15 2011, 03:02 PM) *

The button is not out it just won't release it

Again: Did you have the tab off the lock assembly, and maybe got it back on but it's in the wrong orientation?

The Cap'n
matteyp
Yes were talking about a 914 here. the whole assembly was uninstalled. i Installed it the way it should have been correctly but when i push in the button it doesnt seem to be pushing the pin far enough to release it. it may be in the wrong orientation but I think i installed it correctly. Just trying to figure out how I can open it now. Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(matteyp @ Jun 15 2011, 05:01 PM) *
Just trying to figure out how I can open it now.

Open the engine lid, push one of the plastic cups that hold the targa top latches inside the trunk, get a flashlight, add enough extensions to your ratchet to cover the distance from the engine compartment to the trunk lock, add a 10mm socket to your extensions and unbolt the lock that way.

This is MUCH easier if you push the second plastic cup into the trunk as well and have someone else shine the flashlight through that hole for you.

popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
agree.gif

It can be done, I have done it.

Rich
scrz914
Not to sound simplistic, but any chance it's in the lock position? I don't think the pin will make any contact if it is. I'm sure you've fiddled with the key.
Mike Bellis
sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

. poke.gif
914werke
Arrgh!

Matt come see me I made a tool just for this situation.
Ive done the cup ratchet & extension job and it aint fun nor easy.

This tool is...
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 15 2011, 10:48 PM) *

Arrgh!

This tool is...

Can you post a pic of the tool... smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 16 2011, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 15 2011, 10:48 PM) *

Arrgh!

This tool is...

Can you post a pic of the tool... smile.gif

Sure!

sawzall-smiley.gif

The Cap'n

Seriously, the long extension setup, along with a strong flashlight beam, is the way to go
914werke
Here you go....

Tool
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.