Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB JWest level III linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Cairo94507
Hello All,
I wanted to buy a JWest shift linkage assembly, level III, for my '71 914-6 as I heard they were going to be discontinuing manufacturing of the linkage.

I contacted JWest and learned (unfortunately) they have stopped manufacturing this kit, (they still have and will continue to manufacture and sell their terrific shifter assembly) and have no more of them to sell.

I was hoping that someone here might have one they were not going to use they would be willing to part with?

Thanks in advance for reading.
Michael
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 15 2011, 06:16 PM) *

Hello All,
I wanted to buy a JWest shift linkage assembly, level III, for my '71 914-6 as I heard they were going to be discontinuing manufacturing of the linkage.

I contacted JWest and learned (unfortunately) they have stopped manufacturing this kit, (they still have and will continue to manufacture and sell their terrific shifter assembly) and have no more of them to sell.

I was hoping that someone here might have one they were not going to use they would be willing to part with?

Thanks in advance for reading.
Michael

In the process of installing my level III. Just FYI, unless you have a side-shift you're going to need to to do some modifications. Also, you'll need to modify the portion of the firewall where the bushing attaches to the shift rod exit hole, as the factory /6 mount is in the way.

It's on my progress thread here ---> Link
Cairo94507
Thanks man. At this point I am just trying to gather all of the parts I will need to build the car when the build starts. When I heard they were discontinuing the shift rod assembly I thought I better get a setup while I could, but alas, I was to late.

Nice work on your car BTW, I am following that thread. smile.gif
mepstein
I think the guys at JWest were willing to give instructions on how to closely duplicate the linkage setup.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 16 2011, 06:20 AM) *

Thanks man. At this point I am just trying to gather all of the parts I will need to build the car when the build starts. When I heard they were discontinuing the shift rod assembly I thought I better get a setup while I could, but alas, I was to late.

Nice work on your car BTW, I am following that thread. smile.gif

Thank you very much! I'm trying to keep at it atleast 3/4 hours a day.

In regards to the shift linkage kit, from what I've seen of it during my mock up/fabrication it's really well made. My only issue is the problem with the firewall mounting and engine mount, and that I speciafically asked the if it would work with a stock /6 engine mount on my conversion, and they said it would.

Are you determined to keep it stock? I wouldn't think so if you're adding the kit. If you grind down the 'oval' around the shift tube exit, convert to a side-shift, and slightly adjust the geometry if the firewall bushing/guide, it will work! If you'de like to, when your ready bring it down here and we can do the whole thing on the lift. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Cairo94507
Thanks for the offer. I have been in touch with JWest and they have advised no more kits to be made, period. I was trying to see if they would make a batch of linkages for a group buy thinking maybe for 20 sets it would be worth their efforts. They said they will not make those again as the demand just was not there. sad.gif

I will have to check with others shops and see what they might recommend. I really do not know what I will end up doing yet. I still do not know enough about transaxles to decide which way to go. I currently (apparently) have a stock 4 cylinder tail shifter in my car. Who knows what the heck happened to my stock 6 transaxle, probably yanked with the stock engine back in '80.

I am leaning towards an original 6 transaxle, assuming I can find one for a reasonable price, converted to a side shifter (keeping the original parts) and then some kind of high quality shit linkage and shifter.

Thanks,
Michael
ewdysar
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 17 2011, 12:08 PM) *

Thanks for the offer. I have been in touch with JWest and they have advised no more kits to be made, period. I was trying to see if they would make a batch of linkages for a group buy thinking maybe for 20 sets it would be worth their efforts. They said they will not make those again as the demand just was not there. sad.gif

I will have to check with others shops and see what they might recommend. I really do not know what I will end up doing yet. I still do not know enough about transaxles to decide which way to go. I currently (apparently) have a stock 4 cylinder tail shifter in my car. Who knows what the heck happened to my stock 6 transaxle, probably yanked with the stock engine back in '80.

I am leaning towards an original 6 transaxle, assuming I can find one for a reasonable price, converted to a side shifter (keeping the original parts) and then some kind of high quality shit linkage and shifter.

Thanks,
Michael

Check with Patrick Motorsports. They've got 914 shift linkage kits for various 914/6 conversion configurations. I'm using some of their parts in my V8 conversion whan I switch over to a 915 trans with a Wevo side shift kit. The nice parts are the u-joints and the firewall bearing. I'm also using their tunnel and rear shift rods, though the rear shift rod will need a little modification due to the V8 and the fact that the trans is shifted 1.5 inches rearward.
eric9144
I had hit up JWest to see if there were any left about 3 1/2 weeks ago and suggested that we could try and organize a group buy...this was the response:

I appreciate your interest. It looks like all the kits have been spoken for. There is someone interested in producing the kits, if that falls through then I would be interested in a group buy.

Thanks,
James

So I'm wondering if we pursue that route if we can actually get some made, they may be stalling if another vendor is going to take over the manufacture of them. Might need to make a phone call and see...I think there's enough people who found out about them after that ship had already set sail that there'd be some genuine interest.

Cairo94507
Checked with JWest yesterday 6/16, and they said no to the group buy idea. sad.gif
eric9144
Lets hope that means that the other vendor who was interested in producing the kits has actually picked up the project...I'm not holding my breath though...

EdwardBlume
I have both the j west rear linkage and shifter on the /6 race car. If I sell or part it, I'll let you know. What's it worth?
Cairo94507
My understanding is the shifter new is approx. $500 and the stage III linkage was $348 approx.

Is your for a tail or side shifter set-up? I am leaning towards going side shifter on my car.
Thanks for the reply BTW.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 21 2011, 06:08 AM) *

My understanding is the shifter new is approx. $500 and the stage III linkage was $348 approx.

Is your for a tail or side shifter set-up? I am leaning towards going side shifter on my car.

Unless your going for a strict resto and want to be totally stock, go side-shift, and modify the shift linkage if you need to. Other then that? If you /6 is mostly stock, leave the tailshifter in.

My Dad went through the same dilemma with his /6 project, and he boiled it down to 'Once you get used to driving your car, you get used to shifting, no matter the way you shift'.

It really all depends what you want to get out of the car, and what you want to do with it.

Just a thought, juuuuust a thought.
Cairo94507
I still do not know enough to make a decision regarding a transaxle. I am kind of fixated on an original six transaxle converted to a side shifter. Then I can deal with what ever linkage and shifter I need. I think I just need to get the correct transaxle for the six and make it work the way I want with the side shifter conversion.

Thanks for all of the input thus far. smile.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 21 2011, 06:08 AM) *

Its a side on a '74...
Loser_Cruiser
PM sent!
koozy
Hey Rob, I'll buy the shifter/linkage setup you have if you are parting it out. Let me know. I can pick it up as soon as you have it out. My setup stinks and needs to be redone.

Thanx,

Mike
Cairo94507
OK, my search may have ended thanks to Ian, (Loser Cruiser). I will let you all know. I have PM'd him.
Loser_Cruiser
Replied! Ive decided to use my 915, glad someone else will be able to benefit from a great product.
Cairo94507
Thanks for all of the input. I ended up buying a brand new level III JWest linkage kit from Loser_Cuiser (thank you very much Ian) that was still all wrapped as delivered new. Now of course I have to buy their shifter too.

So that puts me firmly in the 901 transaxle camp with a side-shifter. That raises a lot of issues:

Will I be able to find an original six transaxle to convert it to side-shifter? As dumb as it may be I want an original transaxle case in the car.

Should I add a limited slip to it when it is rebuilt?

What else should I be considering with this transaxle?

Thanks for your thoughts, advise and suggestions.
Loser_Cruiser
Thank you! Boxed and ready to drop off in the morning!
eric9144
Congrats Cairo!

If there's anyone else out there with a setup they'd like to sell PM me...

RiqueMar
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 28 2011, 07:21 PM) *

Thanks for all of the input. I ended up buying a brand new level III JWest linkage kit from Loser_Cuiser (thank you very much Ian) that was still all wrapped as delivered new. Now of course I have to buy their shifter too.

So that puts me firmly in the 901 transaxle camp with a side-shifter. That raises a lot of issues:

Will I be able to find an original six transaxle to convert it to side-shifter? As dumb as it may be I want an original transaxle case in the car.

Should I add a limited slip to it when it is rebuilt?

What else should I be considering with this transaxle?

Thanks for your thoughts, advise and suggestions.

Maybe for historical sake, you could just pop in a Side-Shift, and keep the /6 trans confused24.gif

That way you'll always have it should you need it, that is, unless you feel the way about your car as I do with mine, "I'm never selling this damn thing". In that case, do what you will! smilie_pokal.gif
Loser_Cruiser
Could always just reverse the sidshift conversion too. Advantage to using the six trans would be that the bell crank(?) would hopefully be there for the throttle linkage, most sideshifts haven't had this added.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.