Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have 911 cam tools that they could loan me?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomeric914
I've got an annoying oil leak that just got a little worse between the chain box and cam tower on the driver's side. Good news is that I won't have to pull then engine to get to it. Bad news is I haven't invested in the tools to do it... yet.

I'm located near Syracuse, NY. If anyone has tools that they want to sell to do the job, I'm open to that too.

thanks
Cap'n Krusty
You DO know there are different tools for various 911 engines, right? Ask GOOD questions, provide ENOUGH information, and you're far more likely to get good answers.

The Cap'n
tomeric914
Yes Cap'n, just seeing if anyone has tools to borrow in my neck of the country.

Engine is a '79 3.0 with CIS cams.

Tools needed:

- P202 - Cam Socket
- P203 - 46mm Crow's Foot
- P204 - Chain Sprocket Holder
- P214 - Chain Tensioner Tool
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jun 15 2011, 10:33 PM) *

Tools needed:

- P202 - Cam Socket
- P203 - 46mm Crow's Foot
- P204 - Chain Sprocket Holder
- P214 - Chain Tensioner Tool

I might be able to help you Tom.
We just created our own tools last week to disassemble a 2.7L at the shop.

Click to view attachment

Our P202 substitute is a 1/2" drive, 1" socket with part of a 17mm open end wrench welded to the face.
Our P203 substitute is a 3/4" drive 46mm socket with machined flats for a 1 1/2" open end wrench on the back.
Our P204 substitute is a spark plug. Threads on a spark plug are the same as the sprocket pin. Use two and leave the pins on the spark plugs so they're harder to lose.
Our P214 substitute is a large finishing nail.

Click to view attachment
Installation torque on the 46mm nut is something like 140 lb-ft so it took 3 people to loosen. One to hold the engine steady and one on each wrench.
tomeric914
Thanks Chris, I forgot about the threaded spark plug trick!

How do you get the proper torque on the 46mm nut with the tools you made?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jun 16 2011, 10:57 AM) *

How do you get the proper torque on the 46mm nut with the tools you made?

I'm not sure yet, we havent tried reassembling an engine with these tools yet.
Since both my employees weigh about the right amount I bet I just need them to hang on the wrenches, lol.
tomeric914
Hmm, maybe a 1-1/2" crows foot on a torque wrench? Should get you close.

EDIT: I'm all set on the tools request. I bought the tools since I'll need them on a future rebuild or cam swap anyways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.