Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Track Cars and the DMV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
scrz914
Since Track Cars never see the public roads and are typically trailored, do they even need to be licensed and registered with the DMV? Showing my naivete.
campbellcj
No, not as far as I know, at least here in California. Most pure racecars that never see street use (including even parking on the street) do not carry registration or plates.

If your car is currently registered, you could file a non-operation status with the DMV, which likely would make it much simpler if you ever chose to register it for street use again in the future.

My car started as a street car and is smog-exempt, so I've chosen to keep it registered even though I no longer drive it on the street. It's cheap and I like to keep my options open.

There's a lot of info on the DMV site BTW:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov
stewteral
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Jun 15 2011, 07:57 PM) *

Since Track Cars never see the public roads and are typically trailored, do they even need to be licensed and registered with the DMV? Showing my naivete.

Hi scrz914:

As long as you trailer your car to the track, you can tell DMV to KEEP their silly registration.

Since I flat-tow mine, I have to keep it registered & licensed. It's a bit high to pay for a "trailer" but I can also can go play on Mulholland Highway when I put the mufflers back on.

Terry
scrz914
Yes, I was focused more on the cars that have excluded the windshields, lights, etc., basically stripped down for AX or track. I just wouldn't put it past the gov to figure out a way to pull money out of your pocket like they do with everything else.

signed, Bitter tax payer
stewteral
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Jun 16 2011, 08:54 AM) *

Yes, I was focused more on the cars that have excluded the windshields, lights, etc., basically stripped down for AX or track. I just wouldn't put it past the gov to figure out a way to pull money out of your pocket like they do with everything else.

signed, Bitter tax payer

2012 will be an important year to start putting things right!

Terry
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 15 2011, 10:53 PM) *

No, not as far as I know, at least here in California. Most pure racecars that never see street use (including even parking on the street) do not carry registration or plates.

If your car is currently registered, you could file a non-operation status with the DMV, which likely would make it much simpler if you ever chose to register it for street use again in the future.

My car started as a street car and is smog-exempt, so I've chosen to keep it registered even though I no longer drive it on the street. It's cheap and I like to keep my options open.

"“Most pure racecars that never see street use (including even parking on the street) do not carry registration or plates.”

To my knowledge, any time a vehicle is on a ‘public’ road….it needs to license…as stated in the Calif registration info on the back section.
Racing916
I do not have license or registration on my race car. But I do have insurance which only covers the car in chance of fire (off the track) or if it got hit, vandalized, etc.. It is through State Farm and only cost me $40.00 a year.

Steve
ConeDodger
I had a heck of a time with the Bumblebee Racer. I intended it to be pure track without street registration - just title. It took a year and a half to get the title stuff done and that, only in time to sell it to Tron in Norway. The people I dealt with just didn't know what to do with that... Finally a supervisor got involved and said "Oh, you only want a title?" Done and done.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 15 2011, 10:53 PM) *

"Cheap"? If it's registered, it has to be insured, right? Unless, of course, it's registered but on a non-op. Am I right?

The Cap'n
campbellcj
I know 'cheap' is a relative term but we're talking a few hundred bucks a year for registration and insurance. Roughly the cost of one day at the track.
Derek Seymour
If you park it off the street I.e garage or driveway and always trailer your car DMV can f@&k themselves.
However park it on the street, just once and the Man can TOOL you with a fine.
I agree 2012 is the time to call or write your Senator and change these dumbass laws regarding vintage vehicles.
EMRoadster
In Arizona we can get just a Title only with out registration that is proof of ownership.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.