Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A "complete" AN wrench set
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
I am thinking about commissioning a complete set of AN wrenches for racers.

What I want to know from you guys that already have AN wrenches, is what size fittings aren't supported by your set.

Like a normal size 10, i.e., one inch, doesn't work with Earls 1 1/6" fitting.

If I am going to have them built then i want to make sure all sizes are supported.

All advice welcome.

spare time toys
2 things doesnt Summit already sell these in a nice adonized set? Also after all the years I have messed with these fittings (27 yewars heavy transport ac) I have never needed special wrenches for them.
Randal
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Jun 16 2011, 10:43 AM) *

2 things doesnt Summit already sell these in a nice adonized set? Also after all the years I have messed with these fittings (27 yewars heavy transport ac) I have never needed special wrenches for them.

Actually you don't need special wrenches for them if you don't mind scratching the aluminum fittings. Or if you use a crescent wrench that has duct tape on the business end. Or if you use those heavy steel fittings you can get made up, so regular wrenches are OK. I've always used the aluminum fittings trying to save weight on the race car.

The problem with the duct tape is that it's hard to get a good grip on the fitting so you can tighten them properly.

FYI the "complete" sets from Summit or others, aren't really complete as different manufactures make different sized AN fittings.

Just trying to figure out how many more AN sizes people would want.

McMark
Have you seen the adjustable aluminum wrenches? I've been meaning to pick one up...

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 17 2011, 07:28 PM) *

Have you seen the adjustable aluminum wrenches? I've been meaning to pick one up...

IPB Image

Nice!
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 17 2011, 07:28 PM) *

IPB Image

They are nice and open to 1 1/8" I believe. So they will support a AN 10 and the 10 1/8 off sized fitting that Earl makes.

Only issue is that you need two, so it get pricey.

I bought a set of these which are very cost effective:

https://www.shopugt.com/default.asp

And you can bid on the set, so got it less than shown on the web. Really nice set.
ArtechnikA
This set: Adjustable AN Wrench Set fits 'AN-3 to AN-20'. About $100 the pair.
Click to view attachment
Since I already have wrenches for the smaller sizes, I think I"ll just be getting the larger of the two - still a little pricey at $65 but then I wouldn't have to duplicate the smaller sizes if I got a set.

It's a fine line - Carroll Smith says adjustable wrenches are a crime against nature, but then I don't think the aluminum adjustables were around in his lifetime. And what is more cool than an aluminum wrench for your pretty AN fittings?

I'm making up two sets of lines this weekend, in fact, both using Earl's AN-8.

One's for an oil cooler on the John Deere V-Twin yard tractor, the other is for an intercooler on the shop air compressor...

Since I've already got $250 invested in thermostat, cooler, and fittings for the cooler the tractor arguably doesn't need in the first place, I couldn't see adding another $65 to the damage so yes - I'll be using my regular adjustable wrench and possibly a bit of tape on the jaws...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.