Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back from Pocono
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Just got back from a DE at Pocono, it was my first time out in the 914.

I ended up going with 450 front and 350 rear springs. Dialed in 1.5 deg front and about1 deg rear camber, 1 deg rear toe, and a touch of toe out in the front.

The car handles FANTASTICALLY

The DE was held on the Pocono south course, its about 1.2 miles long that uses one of the tri-ovals banked turns. Then drops into the infield for a few turns. There is a second gear hairpin that was fun turn the wheel, then use the loud pedal to rotate the car through the rest of the turn.

To say I had wood all day about sums it up.

I think a set of goodyear slicks is now in order

heres some pics, I also took some in car video, Ill post a link when I get the video downloaded
TimT
Heres a pic just before entering the bowl
TimT
There was also a Vintage club using another part of the track
TimT
Parking was difficult ar15.gif
TimT
Some serious iron was in attendance. Ironically there were only two 914's. Mine and a mint 2.0/4
Brad Roberts
I told you 914's where going to be a blast. Did you get any tire temps ??

The car looks good (I hate that IMSA air dam but we all have opinions...LOL)

B
TimT
No tire temps, just a feel with my hands.. felt even all across the tire...

They had me instructing 2 students mad.gif so I was running around alot and not able to analyze the car.

I was holding my speed in the bowl to 110, and just learning the limits of the car.. I short shifted 4th and 5th. The car is easily capable of 135-140 at pocono, If it has the gears I think it does, im going to say it'll do 145-150 at Watkins Glen
ChrisReale
Looks like a fun time. Your car looks great. Im glad you had a positive 914 experience!
ChrisReale
BTW, those 356's are awsome, especially in race clothes. Id love to get my greedy hands on one... boldblue.gif
TimT
Thanks Chris.. It was a blast.. I wonder where my 911 project is headed now LOL

One really unique thing happened at this DE.

I was Driving west on 80 and passed this odd looking car, it looked like a long MG TC. Got to the track and unloaded, registered etc...The car I passed came driving through the paddock..

It was a Bugatti... The guy drove it from somewhere in NJ to PA... That is really cool.

beer.gif
Gint
Your car looks great.
TimT
OK heres a link to a video..... dont hit me to hard.. this was the first time I drove a 914

enjoy!
seanery
Cool video...I turned down F1 to hear your car...haha.....

what was the clanking noise as you pulled into the hotpit?
TimT
The creaking or clanking is just plastic bushings..and suspension working.

I have supertraps now, Im getting megaphones for tracks with no noise restrictions finger.gif
seanery
sweeetttt, i love that sound!
where is your mic, on the camera or located elsewhere?
TimT
Mic is on the cam.. I use a Sony DCR-TRV11
Brad Roberts
Tim..

A few words:

ROLLER BEARINGS (front and rear) The car will feel like your "gliding" around the track. Those creaks are the suspension sticking. Not good.

B
TimT
Brad, Id love to get roller bearings for the car. Problem is Im dividing my resources between 2 cars now (gotta finish my 911 GT5).

When I swapped the springs I checked the travel of the a-arms, and swing arms, they moved pretty easily and smoothly. I know that the suspension acts differently when it has the weight of the car on it.

When my finish the 911 Ill start playing with the 914.... just want to drive it for now..
Greg
Tim-
Good pics, great car! What company produced that front spoiler/bumper cap from? (Sorry Brad, but I've got a '75 and I kinda like the looks of Tim's car)
TimT
Dunno who made the imsa spoiler. Ill be making the final payment on the car this weekend so Ill ask the p/o. I didnt see it in the GT racing catalog, maybe AIR made it?

I do have a 916 spoiler as a spare if anyone is interested.
seanery
AIR has them.
Called IMSA, or Group 5 or something else like that.
Brad Roberts
No need to be sorry. Luckily we are allowed to disagree and have different opinions.

I say go with a fiberglass 75/76 bumper replica and hang a air dam off of it... LOL (this is the one big bumper I do like)

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.