Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
I removed this windshield from my parts car. It's in great shape except for the brown discoloration around the edges. It circles the entire perimeter. The brown is outside the area covered by the windshield trim so I would like to remove. I tried windex and then some fine steel wool on a couple spots but no effect. Any ideas?
Rand
If you have some lacquer thinner handy, I'd give that a try while waiting for other answers. smile.gif
barada
Hammer and chisel maybe?

I would try aycrosol.

Phillip
mepstein
Just tried gasoline - no luck. Acid maybe?
benalishhero
Razor blade?
mepstein
Nope-just tried it. Seems to be more of a discoloration than a residue.
ewdysar
Since you haven't been able to make affect it on the surface through scaping or solvents, my guess is that the safety film between the layers of glass has discolored. If that's the case, I can't believe that there is any way to make it go away.
mepstein
That could be true. I wonder why it would go 1 inch in and not further. Maybe sun, heat, oxidation?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 16 2011, 05:26 PM) *

That could be true. I wonder why it would go 1 inch in and not further. Maybe sun, heat, oxidation?

Burned film? confused24.gif Maybe someone tried to heat up the windshield sealant?
nsr-jamie
vinegar and water mix
Rand
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 16 2011, 08:50 PM) *

vinegar and water mix

That mix won't help him, but if you add some baking soda it could get fun.

I'm thinking if you want to use that windshield you just need to paint a wider blockout band around the perimeter...The masking black windshield paint stuff. Modern look.
Strudelwagon
I have the same issue on my windshield. It is rust staining from the chrome trim contact. I had some luck with a lite cut compound.

Steve
914dave
Mark,
I just asked my neighbor who is a chemist. Try muratic acid. It should remove the oxidation. I think lowes carries it in the paint department for cleaning garage floors.
Put a little on a rag and wipe it lightly until the rust starts to dissolve.
Dave
mepstein
QUOTE(914dave @ Jun 17 2011, 06:36 AM) *

Mark,
I just asked my neighbor who is a chemist. Try muratic acid. It should remove the oxidation. I think lowes carries it in the paint department for cleaning garage floors.
Put a little on a rag and wipe it lightly until the rust starts to dissolve.
Dave

Funny, I was going to try that. Now I have an expert opinion to back it up. I'll let you know. thanks, mark
SLITS
Hydrochloric Acid (named Muratic so not to alarm the masses) is also called "Pool Acid".
Dave_Darling
If that fails, use a hammer. Hit it right in the middle of the windshield. Once the WS cracks or breaks, get a new one.

Ta-daaa! Discoloration gone! biggrin.gif

--DD
blitZ
CLR might work, it's a rust remover. Just don't get any on the rest of your car or it might dissolve.
windforfun
QUOTE(ewdysar @ Jun 16 2011, 03:15 PM) *

Since you haven't been able to make affect it on the surface through scaping or solvents, my guess is that the safety film between the layers of glass has discolored. If that's the case, I can't believe that there is any way to make it go away.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
mepstein
Tried wiping it down with hydrochloric acid but no luck. I soaked a paper towel in the acid and laid it over a spot to see if a longer contact time will help. Will check back in an hour.
mburkhart
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 17 2011, 12:21 PM) *

Tried wiping it down with hydrochloric acid but no luck. I soaked a paper towel in the acid and laid it over a spot to see if a longer contact time will help. Will check back in an hour.

While we wait, who can tell me what use to clean the interior of the glass? Seems like every and any kind of window cleaner leaves a residue that fogs up as soon as it starts getting dark. What do you guys use?

Mike
mepstein
try vinegar
mburkhart
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 17 2011, 12:47 PM) *

try vinegar

My wife actually uses a cocktail of vinegar and ammonia that works great, but it doesn't smell great and it's kind of a pain to put together a batch every time we want to clean the car windows. I was hoping to find something in a bottle that worked as well. Maybe I'll just fill a bottle the next time she makes a batch.

And now back to watching wet paper towels soaked in acid...
mepstein
Waited an hour. No joy. dry.gif
Since the surround trim is aluminum and not steel, I wonder if I should be using something else?
Hammy
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 16 2011, 09:07 PM) *

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 16 2011, 08:50 PM) *

vinegar and water mix

I'm thinking if you want to use that windshield you just need to paint a wider blockout band around the perimeter...The masking black windshield paint stuff. Modern look.

agree.gif
Rex-n-effect
Did you call the local glass shop and ask them? They do work with glass for a living!
mepstein
QUOTE(Rex-n-effect @ Jun 17 2011, 07:05 PM) *

Did you call the local glass shop and ask them? They do work with glass for a living!

No, I'm still playing but it's a good idea!
markb
QUOTE(mburkhart @ Jun 17 2011, 01:36 PM) *

While we wait, who can tell me what use to clean the interior of the glass? Seems like every and any kind of window cleaner leaves a residue that fogs up as soon as it starts getting dark. What do you guys use?

Mike

I use "Invisible Glass". I get it at WallyWorld.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.