Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would anyone be interested in stock size torsion bars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hwgunner
is there a market? I have a line on a few sets, 17mm. I know people typically "upgrade" to a larger size but what about those that just want to bring it back to (like) stock?
Rob914
I have a "pair" of NOS stock torsion bars. I believe both bars have the same part number (I will double check this weekend). Can I use them as a pair or do I have two driver's side or two passenger side bars that can't be used together? If I can't use mine as a pair would you sell just the one bar that I need? What would be the price for just one bar and also for a pair?

Thanks,
Rob
Eric_Shea
I think it's a great idea. Stock bars rock and good ones are hard to find... Most have scrapes from worn bushings.
jcd914
QUOTE(Rob914 @ Jun 16 2011, 08:52 PM) *

I have a "pair" of NOS stock torsion bars. I believe both bars have the same part number (I will double check this weekend). Can I use them as a pair or do I have two driver's side or two passenger side bars that can't be used together? If I can't use mine as a pair would you sell just the one bar that I need? What would be the price for just one bar and also for a pair?

Thanks,
Rob

What I was told years ago was that if the T-bars have never been used the it does not matter which side they are used on.
BUT once that have been put into use they settle some and develope a twist, then that can only be used in the same side they were originally installed.
Original T-bars have a R stamped into the right side and an L stamped into the left.
Eric_Shea
That's not what the factory manual says... "pretensioned from the factory"
r_towle
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 17 2011, 01:05 AM) *

That's not what the factory manual says... "pretensioned from the factory"

agree.gif

If it did not matter I doubt the "R" and "L" would be stamped on the ends.

Rich
brant
yes but does the R/L go forward or rearward?
Eric_Shea
It doesn't matter...

Click to view attachment
brant
I think it would matter in order to keep the "pre load" going the same direction as it was originally designed to go

if you think of the bar/spring... pushing the a-arm down against the ground and then flip the bar (keeping the right stamping on the same right side of the car... or left) the rotation of the bar becomes backwards

so if they are pre-loaded to rotate in one direction of spring pressure it would need to be installed the same as the design preload

the factory picture shown seems to indicate that the stamping should go towards the front of the vehicle because you don't see the stamp in that picture... of course it could be the picture quality is all.
hwgunner
OK, I think you guys are talking about 2 different things here. The original factory bars installed in our cars were pre-tensioned from the factory and that is why they marked them left and right. They also put the markings so you can see them when you take off the adjusters/covers. For new bars made by Sway-a-Way and others they, for the most part, are not pre-tensioned (except for some very high dollar race versions, and they will tell you if they are). This means that you can put them in any way you want. that said, if they have been installed in a car and then removed they need to be re-installed in the same orientation because, once used on the car, they become pre-tensioned. Sway-a-Way marks the ends of their bars in the hopes that people will always install the one marked “L” on the left and the one marked “R” on the right, thus avoiding the need to explain. Again, Sway-a-Way says the markings should be facing you as you slide them in the tube for their bars. Brant, it seems that you took the factory install procedure to say the markings go away from you as you install so they are at the closed end of the a-arm. My only comment about that is that of the cars that I have taken apart, they were always facing out. Also, if the stampings were facing in then no one at the factory could easily check Hans’ work, with out taking the bars out.

I guess the bottom line is:

NEW factory bars are pre-tensioned so they need to go in per the letter on the end.

NEW aftermarket bars (most all) can be put in any way you want as long as they stay that way. Why make life difficult, install per the letter on the end!!

Letters in or out?? I say out so it is easy to see what is in the car.

No??
beer3.gif
brant
makes sense
hwgunner
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 17 2011, 11:04 AM) *

makes sense

Brant, I should also say that I think you have way more experience than I do and I would not change somethng that is not "broke" (no pun intended) with the way you do things. beerchug.gif
Rob914
I have two "L"eft bars. I am interested in the stock bars. My preference in order is: trading a left for a right, buying either one or two rights, or buying a matched pair. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks, Rob
McMark
I think some qualitative testing of old bars would tell a lot. Are our OE bars losing spring rate? How much? If I knew that, I would be much more likely to recommend them.

Seems like a not-too-complicated, homemade jig would tell a lot. Maybe install polyurethane bushings in a stock a arm, hang a specific weight from the ball joint mount, than measure the deflection. Then compare 10 to 15 randomly selected old bars.
jcd914
I have some old stock bars that could be used for testing.
Have some sway-away bars (21&22) and probably some 911 bars too.

Jim
Eric_Shea
Doesn't matter, letter in or out... they're still spinning the same way.

Mr. Foley explained it to me a few years back. Think barber pole or candy cane.
hwgunner
QUOTE(Rob914 @ Jun 19 2011, 08:12 AM) *

I have two "L"eft bars. I am interested in the stock bars. My preference in order is: trading a left for a right, buying either one or two rights, or buying a matched pair. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks, Rob

I have new sets. Check my signature. I do not have any singles myself but others may.

jonathan
hwgunner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.