Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sofi2t81
Hello there,

Yesterday I changed my starter because the solenoid is sticking when the car is hot.
I thought it was simple but it didn't work. The new starter was not working. headbang.gif

I took the old one in and everything was fine again.

The starter solenoid look very similar but they are not the same.

The old solenoid

Click to view attachment

The new solenoid with an additional contact port.

Click to view attachment

The comparison

Click to view attachment

The old in the car working

Click to view attachment

The new in the car not working

Click to view attachment

I assume the additional contact is for the solenoid. What do I put on there? sad.gif

Thanks for your help I'm more a mechanic not an electrician.

Peter
Mike Bellis
I would guess it is a ground. Though I don't like it so close to the battery terminal. You problably need a hot start relay. The starter power starts at the battery, goes to the ignition switch and back to the starter. about 12 feet. A hot start relay will jumu the battery cable to the starter terminal, increasing solinoid voltage and current. The original starter signal is used to activate the relay.
sofi2t81
I think I have the hot start. I got the reciept from the PO and there is a ralais next to the battery,

Peter
mrgjones
Wait a minute. I thought the yellow wire was a ground for the solenoid as power comes from the main post. Don't trust the autozone/ oreilly's tester to tell you the starter is good. Those machines "pass" the starter as long as it tests above about 7volts. The starter could still be way too weak to crank properly. The solenoid could be sticking when hot because it's gummed up. You can fix it with a soldering iron, screw driver and A LOT of electronics cleaner. I got my solenoid working great this way. Highly recommend instead of tossing it.
Cap'n Krusty
That certainly doesn't look like a "Genuine Bosch Remanufactured Starter". Looks more like a sloppily painted POS from a FLAPS. That's the first problem. That terminal is for some FI applications and isn't of any concern to us. Just keep the hot cables away from it. BTW, reman SR 17s are not really available from most Bosch suppliers. You get a new one for the price of a reman. BTW, the yellow wire is NOT a ground, it supplies activation voltage to the solenoid. Grounds are always brown.

The Cap'n
mrgjones
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 16 2011, 09:29 PM) *

That certainly doesn't look like a "Genuine Bosch Remanufactured Starter". Looks more like a sloppily painted POS from a FLAPS. That's the first problem. That terminal is for some FI applications and isn't of any concern to us. Just keep the hot cables away from it. BTW, reman SR 17s are not really available from most Bosch suppliers. You get a new one for the price of a reman. BTW, the yellow wire is NOT a ground, it supplies activation voltage to the solenoid. Grounds are always brown.

The Cap'n

So is the solenoid grounded through the body then?
r_towle
QUOTE(mrgjones @ Jun 17 2011, 10:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 16 2011, 09:29 PM) *

The Cap'n

So is the solenoid grounded through the body then?

yes, that is what the little copper braided wire is doing...its ground.

Rich
sofi2t81
The Starter is from Bosch according to the sticker. I bought ist at AutoAtlanta in spring.
Maybe I contact them.

Please no bashing in this thread I need a solution, not a fight. biggrin.gif

Peter
fitzm1
Hot start relay & new starter motor.

Click to view attachment
kkid
QUOTE(fitzm1 @ Jun 17 2011, 08:40 AM) *

Hot start relay & new starter motor.

Click to view attachment

Is your hot start relay setup heat/weather proof?

My car came with a hot start relay but it appears to be made of bakelite or something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.