Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Special Visitor at Tangerine Racing Today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
Mary Shortridge is in Connecticut! beerchug.gif
She flew in with her father, Jim and uncle Stan for a long weekend to see the Mystic Seaport and the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in upstate NY.
Two years ago a group of 914World members helped Mary finish the restoration of Buttercup which had belonged to her brother Lee.
He had started the restoration but passed away before he could fulfill his dream.
The restoration was the subject of a long thread here a couple years ago.

I met Mary and her husband Ron at MUSR last fall when they trailered Buttercup to Tennessee from Garden City to take on the Tail of the Dragon.
After spending a couple hours hanging out at the shop we went to a local seafood restaurant for dinner. A great time was had by all!

Click to view attachment
From Left to right: Ed, Uncle Stan, my Dad, Mary, Jim, Me. The picture was taken by my wife Mary.

Mary and my Dad are both avid pilots so they had plenty to talk about.
In addition to looking at the 914s currently at the shop Mary was excited to see Dad's 1939 Ryan STA restoration project.
At dinner Dad shared a story about flying into Garden City (where Mary and Ron Shortridge live), many years ago.

Mary's uncle Stan lives in Minneapolis, where a number of my uncles, aunts and cousins live.
Stan is quite a character and had us in stitches more than once. laugh.gif

Jim was carrying around a nice Nikon camera.
He and I got into a discussion about quantum physics after Jim mentioned something about the way photons interact with digital cameras. unsure.gif

The dark beverage you see in the foreground is the award winning Ten Penny Ale, made at a local brewery, Olde Burnside Brewing Co.
Definitely some of the best beer I've had the pleasure of consuming, beer3.gif and my new favorite.
I think it's only sold in half gallon growlers and kegs.

It was really great visiting with Mary again and meeting her father and uncle.
I guess this means there's a trip to Garden City in my future. smile.gif driving.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 16 2011, 08:26 PM) *

Mary Shortridge is in Connecticut! beerchug.gif
She flew in with her father, Jim and uncle Stan for a long weekend to see the Mystic Seaport and the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in upstate NY.
Two years ago a group of 914World members helped Mary finish the restoration of Buttercup which had belonged to her brother Lee.
He had started the restoration but passed away before he could fulfill his dream.
The restoration was the subject of a long thread here a couple years ago.

I met Mary and her husband Ron at MUSR last fall when they trailered Buttercup to Tennessee from Garden City to take on the Tail of the Dragon.
After spending a couple hours hanging out at the shop we went to a local seafood restaurant for dinner. A great time was had by all!

Click to view attachment
From Left to right: Ed, Uncle Stan, my Dad, Mary, Jim, Me. The picture was taken by my wife Mary.

Mary and my Dad are both avid pilots so they had plenty to talk about.

In addition to looking at the 914s currently at the shop Mary was excited to see Dad's 1939 Ryan STA restoration project.
At dinner Dad shared a story about flying into Garden City (where Mary and Ron Shortridge live), many years ago.

Mary's uncle Stan lives in Minneapolis, where a number of my uncles, aunts and cousins live.
Stan is quite a character and had us in stitches more than once. laugh.gif

Jim was carrying around a nice Nikon camera.
He and I got into a discussion about quantum physics after Jim mentioned something about the way photons interact with digital cameras. unsure.gif

The dark beverage you see in the foreground is the award winning Ten Penny Ale, made at a local brewery, Olde Burnside Brewing Co.
Definitely some of the best beer I've had the pleasure of consuming, beer3.gif and my new favorite.
I think it's only sold in half gallon growlers and kegs.

It was really great visiting with Mary again and meeting her father and uncle.
I guess this means there's a trip to Garden City in my future. smile.gif driving.gif

Glad to hear you folks got together. That is what the 914 Spriit is all about.

BTW Chris, no one could tell what motor I was running over the weekend, due to your exhaust and a good engine build, and BTW only positive comments.
Eric_Shea
Tell me she didn't bring Ginger Snaps... blink.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 16 2011, 11:32 PM) *

She did bring two kinds of cookies but I only had one. It wasn't a Ginger Snap so I don't know...
ejm
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 16 2011, 11:32 PM) *

What happens in Connecticut stays in Connecticut biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
beerchug.gif
Mary Shortridge
Dad, Stan and I had SO much fun getting to see Ed and Chris in their home environment, and meeting more family! (We were DEFINITELY not in Kansas any more!) How blessed I am to have this 914 experience, that will last a lifetime. The friends I've made.... PRICELESS!!! I'm sorry I didn't take more photos, but I was having SOOOO much fun seeing all the 914s and aircraft manufacturing! I just wish we could have spent more time.... we are all looking forward to our next get-together. Maybe in Nebraska? Soon, I hope!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 16 2011, 10:26 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I would have love to have been at that dinner table. The conversations could have been anything from politics, to quantum physics, vintage aircraft and possibly even some 914 content!

Cheers!!
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 18 2011, 06:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 16 2011, 10:26 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I would have love to have been at that dinner table. The conversations could have been anything from politics, to quantum physics, vintage aircraft and possibly even some 914 content!

Cheers!!

Wish you'd have been there too! Next time!
EdwardBlume
914s and airplanes... nice! biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jun 17 2011, 10:19 PM) *

Dad, Stan and I had SO much fun getting to see Ed and Chris in their home environment, and meeting more family! (We were DEFINITELY not in Kansas any more!) How blessed I am to have this 914 experience, that will last a lifetime. The friends I've made.... PRICELESS!!! I'm sorry I didn't take more photos, but I was having SOOOO much fun seeing all the 914s and aircraft manufacturing! I just wish we could have spent more time.... we are all looking forward to our next get-together. Maybe in Nebraska? Soon, I hope!

Mary, we loved entertaining you and getting to know your family better.
Your visit was truly special.
I hope the weather on Friday didn't prevent you from enjoying your day in Mystic.
Today looks like a perfect day to experience the WWI air show in Rhinebeck.
Interestingly, my dad's Bonanza is parked in Kingston today, just across the Hudson from where you are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.