Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Couple of CW questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
I am not turning into one...or maybe age is catching up, dunno.
I think Ferg is the expert on any site I know....so please offer some advice.

I looked in the Originality forum, and the cleaning and detailing forum on pelican...but I am left with a few questions.

Here goes.

Best way to shampoo? Wet and shop vac?

How to fill in a cracked dash ? what product?
I know that wont look perfect, but it will look better.

Here is the big one.
How to get wax off the black rubber bumpers?
And how to get wax off a cabriolet roof.

PO had a buffer and got wax everywhere BUT on the paint.

I am going to a show sunday and I would like to attempt to make a decent showing.
Car is far from a show car (or I would not own it) but all these little smudges are all over the place...
A few hours with the right chemicals should make the car look a whole lot better.

Rich
tod914
<-- not Ferg, but maybe I can help you out with a few things that worked for me in the past. Regarding your rubber with wax on it, several ways you can try it. Griots makes several products. A wax remover (haven't tried), a rubber prep (which works great for getting wax off), and a low sheen tire dressing (will work so so at getting off the wax, great as a dressing though). Being your in a pinch, try a citrus degreaser .. maybe Zeps from hom depot. Mask off you paint area, then apply it to a damp paper towel or cloth. Should remove it no problem. Wash if off well when your done.. don't let it dry on the rubber.
Should work well for you top too.
Carpets (not going to work for you on short notice), but I pull mine out, and soak them in the tub with Oxyclean? Have to monitor them, so it doesn't take the dye out. Come out looking great.
Good luck at the show. Be interested to see what tips Ferg offers.
messix
back to black
r_towle
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 18 2011, 01:45 AM) *

back to black

That is a dressing and wont remove the wax....it wont even penetrate the wax so you end up with the discoloration.
r_towle
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 18 2011, 12:36 AM) *

<-- not Ferg, but maybe I can help you out with a few things that worked for me in the past. Regarding your rubber with wax on it, several ways you can try it. Griots makes several products. A wax remover (haven't tried), a rubber prep (which works great for getting wax off), and a low sheen tire dressing (will work so so at getting off the wax, great as a dressing though). Being your in a pinch, try a citrus degreaser .. maybe Zeps from hom depot. Mask off you paint area, then apply it to a damp paper towel or cloth. Should remove it no problem. Wash if off well when your done.. don't let it dry on the rubber.
Should work well for you top too.
Carpets (not going to work for you on short notice), but I pull mine out, and soak them in the tub with Oxyclean? Have to monitor them, so it doesn't take the dye out. Come out looking great.
Good luck at the show. Be interested to see what tips Ferg offers.

I ended up using simply green sparingly and it does the trick...and a brush.

The PO drove through a freshly painted white line a few years ago....so it has loads ot time to cure....
That ended up being my evening...the whole passenger side bottom of the car...
thinner, alchohol, laquer thinner, mineral spirits, steel wool...etc etc.
I am heading to the store to see if there is a drill mounted brush I can use.
I did get all the rubber clean with laquer thinner...but some of this paint wont give up.

Soaking carpets in a tub...now I would like to hear more about that.
No time this week, but I would like to hear how this works.

Not worried about the show...just dont want to many holidays on the car...Don will be there and Tom...both pro CW guys that will give me crap. (they always give me crap...)

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.