Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: jwest shift link
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhd914
HI, I am wondering if any one can help. I have emailed jwest to order a kit to modify the shifter in my '73 with side shift. They tell me that they no longer make this. sad.gif My question is, does anyone have any of the parts for the shift linkage update where it fits on the side of the gear box.
I am happy with my shift lever and I really only want to improve the shaft and bushings on the side of the gear box.
If not, know anyone who has stock?
Thanks and I hope someone can help
Geoff.
Cairo94507
The only lead I would have for you since JWest is not making these anymore would be to check with Patrick Motorsports in AZ, 602.244.0911 to see what they offer.
Good luck.
wingnut86
I could ship you a side shift setup with proper tail piece and shift rods.

You would still need the new bushies to keep it nice.

Also, shipping from the East Coast US is kinda a bummer for Aussie's, so a West coast newer setup may be your best approach.

blink.gif

Let me know if not.

Later Days,

Wingnut86

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 17 2011, 07:05 PM) *

The only lead I would have for you since JWest is not making these anymore would be to check with Patrick Motorsports in AZ, 602.244.0911 to see what they offer.
Good luck.

rhd914
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Jun 17 2011, 03:12 PM) *

I could ship you a side shift setup with proper tail piece and shift rods.

You would still need the new bushies to keep it nice.

Also, shipping from the East Coast US is kinda a bummer for Aussie's, so a West coast newer setup may be your best approach.

blink.gif

Let me know if not.

Later Days,

Wingnut86

HI Wingnut, My car is a side shifter, what I am looking for is the kit that jwest made to update to rod and bushes where they fit on the side of the transmission.
But thanks for the offer and yes, I know only too well the cost of shipping.....

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 17 2011, 07:05 PM) *

Good luck.

rhd914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 17 2011, 03:05 PM) *

Good luck.

Thanks Cairo, I'll give them a try
ChrisFoley
Send me an email. I might be able to help.
c dot foley at tangerineracing dot com
We just completed a JWest Stage1 kit installation with our own custom modifications.
TargaToy
Are you saying you were told they no longer make the lower piece which protrudes into the tunnel and adapts to the side shifter rod??

I just emailed JWest about this part a couple months back (wishing to do the conversion myself for when I ditch my tailshifter) and they replied with a price.

I'll see if I can dig the email out and if they included part numbers, etc.
rhd914
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jun 17 2011, 04:12 PM) *

Are you saying you were told they no longer make the lower piece which protrudes into the tunnel and adapts to the side shifter rod??

I just emailed JWest about this part a couple months back (wishing to do the conversion myself for when I ditch my tailshifter) and they replied with a price.

I'll see if I can dig the email out and if they included part numbers, etc.

Hi Targa Troy, they said they still do shifter but not the parts for the conversion to shift rods to the side of the transmission.
Geoff.
TargaToy
Ok, Gotcha. I found the email. It was from Feb. For anyone else interested, he said to convert the rennshifter itself to side shift linkage:

"We can provide the parts separately. There may be differences in the
> batches
> of parts so the pivot bushings may require some fitting of the bushing for
> proper clearance (light filing or sanding on a block).
>
> You will need the the lower shifter shaft with associated clevis bushings
> and a
> new base plate.

Sorry I can't advise regarding the complete kit they used to offer. I'm going to just use the complete side shifter linkage from a parts car along with my rennshifter once I get the parts listed above from JWest.
mepstein
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jun 17 2011, 10:05 PM) *

Ok, Gotcha. I found the email. It was from Feb. For anyone else interested, he said to convert the rennshifter itself to side shift linkage:

> batches
>
> and a
> new base plate.

Sorry I can't advise regarding the complete kit they used to offer. I'm going to just use the complete side shifter linkage from a parts car along with my rennshifter once I get the parts listed above from JWest.

JWest sold off the last of their linkage kits a couple weeks ago. Gone, finished, adios. Confirmed directly by JWest in a recent thread. They still make their very fine shifters.

JWest
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jun 17 2011, 09:05 PM) *

> batches
>
> and a
> new base plate.

Just to be clear, this was for converting a 911/tail-shift style RennShift shifter to a side-shift RennShift shifter and has nothing to do with the linkage or converting the actual car.
Mike Bellis
You either need to call Chris Foley or make your own. It is very easy to do. I sourced all my parts from ebay. Including: U joints(5/8) ,DOM tubing(5/8), sperical bushing, L bracket and bronze 914 bushings. I have about $100 into material. You will reuse the splined end that connects to the shifter. cut it loose from the rod. You will also need the pivot from the side shift console.

I had to build my own because the J West kit would not work according to them. I built the first for my V8 car and now Im building another for my Rotary conversion. I will be finishing the transmission console side soon. I will post in my build thread.

I'm pretty sure than anything Chris Foley does will be better than mine, but it's just not that hard to do yourself.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.