Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone pic of stove pipe cooling?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
usa4cheer
Looking into different cooling options for chumpcar type race. I have looked at the cali conversion, different fan configurations. fan deletes etc. and was considering a stove pipe type cooling that I have only heard of and know nothing else about.

anybody know about this
thanks
tim
ChrisFoley
This is what I did in my FProd car:

Inlet in the fog light opening of the bumper.
Click to view attachment

The 6" od aluminum flex hose comes from McMaster Carr.
Click to view attachment

Its a bit more expensive than galvanized straight ducting but makes a smooth route and was fairly easy to install as one continuous piece.
Click to view attachment

The duct is mounted high on the firewall because I don''t use the stock engine cooling system.
Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 17 2011, 10:34 PM) *

This is what I did in my FProd car:

Inlet in the fog light opening of the bumper.

The 6" od aluminum flex hose comes from McMaster Carr.

Its a bit more expensive than galvanized straight ducting but makes a smooth route and was fairly easy to install as one continuous piece.

The duct is mounted high on the firewall because I don''t use the stock engine cooling system.

Hey Chris - Is that another duct on the hood between your turn signal (used to be) and engine duct?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 18 2011, 11:40 AM) *

Hey Chris - Is that another duct on the hood between your turn signal (used to be) and engine duct?

The NACA duct is for a secondary brake cooling hose which goes through the inner fender and dumps air towards the caliper. The primary brake duct goes below the chassis and pushes air out through the vented rotor.
usa4cheer
if you took that pipe and shot the air into a 911 engine shroud without the fan?? do you run an alternator or is that gone too.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(usa4cheer @ Jun 18 2011, 08:04 PM) *

if you took that pipe and shot the air into a 911 engine shroud without the fan?? do you run an alternator or is that gone too.

Without a fan the engine would cook at idle and low speeds.
Personally, I don't care for the 911 style shroud. Besides, I have my own cooling system.
No alternator, although I'm considering putting one in so I can autocross the car more reliably.
Click to view attachment
usa4cheer
that's quite a setup, I have checked it out on your website. very nice and looks well constructed, how do you have the oil cooler setup, did you leave the factory, or use a bypass plate and do an external cooler with electric fan? I would imagine that would be hard on the battery without the alternator. sorry for prolonging the topic but the cooling setup is my biggest obstacle, I am actually building a 914 for rallycross, it will be short runs like autocross, so I am debating an alternator delete too. I appreciate the help, I have kept up with your program for years, I have had 8, 914s in the past 15 years. good to see your engineering keeping them going.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(usa4cheer @ Jun 18 2011, 11:26 PM) *

how do you have the oil cooler setup, did you leave the factory, or use a bypass plate and do an external cooler with electric fan? I

The engines I've been running in that car have highly modified oiling systems.
The boss where the stock oil cooler inormally connects is cut off and the passages are plugged. Other significant oil route changes have been made to the crankcase as well.
Threre are two oil coolers up front. They're contained inside a box which gets air from the right foglight opening of the bumper. No fans. That would definitely be too much draw on the battery.
One of the coolers is connected to a two stage pump in the stock location, and the other one is connected to a belt driven pump which scavenges the rocker boxes.

Even the dry sump tank is something I fabricated to rather unique specifications. It fits in the passenger footwell and has a filler neck under the front deck lid.

Over the years I've tried a number of oil system tweaks. Some were improvements, others not so much, but I've never suffered an oil related engine problem since 1998. The basic system works flawlessly.

In my street car, the current engine uses the flat fan cooling system and has the stock oil cooler, fed by a take-off hose from the fan shroud.
The thermostat is a bi-metal spring attached to an airflow valve.
This allows the oil to heat up more quickly to a preset temperature and never go any higher.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(usa4cheer @ Jun 18 2011, 11:26 PM) *

I am actually building a 914 for rallycross,

I would not have thought of using a 914 for that purpose.
But I'd love to see video of one in action.
usa4cheer
That oiling system is pretty amazing, I am always interested in what people are able to come up with. and I appreciate the effort to keep the 4 bangers as competitive as possible. My particular situation, I rescued another 914 from the crusher and am giving it a 2nd chance as a dirt auto crosser. I am doing very little to mod it up other than some experimental cooling ideas to play with. I will have it up and ready for the next autocross at Summit Point, in a couple months. I am using the 1.8 it came with and the dual webbers, I know they will be a challenge. I would put a 2.0 with dellortos I have sitting around, but not for something I will probably break first time out. I plan to get a picture of it airborne. Good news is the car had already been reinforced in the longitudinals and the rear, so I will put in some form of roll cage and lighten it up, to play with. I don't really care what class it goes in, I think mod would be the most fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.