Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cracked 2.0L Head
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Valy
Hi guys,
I have a spare 2.0L that I want to use in my car. The engine looks good except one of the heads that has some cracks. It was probably dropped on the floor by the PO.
Here are some pictures. The crack is in the valve chamber and don't extent to the compression chamber. However, the 2 leftmost push-rods tubes holes are cracked.

To fix it, will need to weld the cracks and rebore the push-rods tubes holes.

Do you think this is rebuildable or should I look for an other head?

Click to view attachment
Valy
more pictures

Click to view attachment
Valy
more
Click to view attachment
Valy
last one
Click to view attachment
messix
i don't like i'd worry about the head as much as what dropping that engine did to the cylinder registers and the rest of the case.
wertygrog
Looks to be junk to me, the valve cover would never seal on that. sad.gif
Valy
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 17 2011, 10:43 PM) *

i don't like i'd worry about the head as much as what dropping that engine did to the cylinder registers and the rest of the case.

looks like this head is all the damage. It was hit just in the corner and not too hard but the walls are thin so they broke.
The valve geometry looks intact.
messix
QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 17 2011, 11:18 PM) *

looks like this head is all the damage. It was hit just in the corner and not too hard but the walls are thin so they broke.

and the head sits on the iron cylinders and they sit on the aluminum case that has problems with holding the proper register spec [ this is the place where the cylinders mount in to the case and are not supported very well to take a hit] to begin with. this can cause problems with how the cylinders sit in relation to the case and the head [keeping the angles squared]. it can make sealing the heads to the cylinders a problem.
Valy
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 17 2011, 11:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 17 2011, 11:18 PM) *

and the head sits on the iron cylinders and they sit on the aluminum case that has problems with holding the proper register spec [ this is the place where the cylinders mount in to the case and are not supported very well to take a hit] to begin with. this can cause problems with how the cylinders sit in relation to the case and the head [keeping the angles squared]. it can make sealing the heads to the cylinders a problem.

I understand what you say and I've checked the case. Besides, I have a spare good case so I don't worry about the case.
My question is solely about the cracked head that costs much more than the case sad.gif
VaccaRabite
Everything is fixable the question is how much do you want to spend? My guess is that the head is probably not worth fixing though.
Mark Henry
Yes it can be fixed, I have one here with similar issues that has been fixed, but the cost will most likely be more than finding a good core and having it rebuilt.
HAM Inc
The cost to repair that damage would far exceed the replacement core cost. These heads aren't that rare yet.
McMark
Listen to Len. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.