Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TIG welder recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type11969
Tried searching because I'm sure this has been covered before but . . . I'd like to get in to TIG welding, I know I'd enjoy it, so I'd appreciate any advice about what to look for, options, models, etc. Definitely want to be able to weld aluminum.

Thanks,

Chris
a914dude
Go brand name. My Hobart has been good to me.
aircooledtechguy
I have a Lincoln Precision TIG 185 and absolutely love it. I think they have discontinued it now and I believe the lowest amp AC/DC machine they have is a 225 amp which is more expensive. Mine has an air-cooled torch so there's no water coolers to hassle with, but on the higher amp settings it does heat-up. So if I ever find myself doing lots of thick stuff, I may upgrade to a water-cooled torch.

If you want to be able to TIG aluminum and other non-ferrous metals, you must have a machine with AC. DC only machines are much less expensive, but you can't do everything with them.

Buy the best and cry once. Do not be tempted to shop Harbor Freight for a welder; you get what you pay for. . .
phatnine11
Chris,
Like everyone has posted, go name brand! Lincoln or Miller, Hobart is owned by Miller and it's good stuff. Spend the bucks and get a 220/240 volt machine. This will serve you well. I have a Miller Syncowave 200 and so far, I have been able to do any project that needed welding. If you plan on doing any welding above 150 amps, I would recommend a coolant cooled torch. Practice, practice, practice and when you think you're done, practice some more. Any metal supply house will have scrap metal that they sell by the pound, so have at it. Miller's site has some great info on doing all kinds of metal. I purchased my unit from an Internet store in Kentucky, and it was drop shipped out of Los Angeles, I received it 2 days after purchase. The deal was free shipping and no tax due the shop being out of state. Good luck with your search.
Phatnine11
plymouth37
The site's search engine doesn't like 3 letter words, search TIG* and it will pull them up along with a ton of other crap you don't want like TIGhten and TIGer but it works.
I really like my miller but like the others have said you can't go wrong with any of the big names, also go with a 220V so you can melt thick stuff properly.
rohar
I'd generally agree with the brand whoring in this thread. My big mig is a miller unit. Last year I bought a smaller 110v mig 'cause it was there and the price was right. Besides, I get a call from a friend to come over and weld up something at least 6 times a year so a smaller unit seemed to make sense.

I've got a whole new respect for Forney. Solid little unit, smooth as hell. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the mini mig.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.