Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squirt my ride!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ductech
Alright all you suby guys! Stay tuned. I just acquired a megasquirt 1 with ver 3.0 mainboard! This came with a wideband lc-1 controller. and the home made harness from diyautotune. all for 300 bones! SO here is the spec of the project.

Ej22 cold air intake, easy breathing exhaust. Currently running the stock ecu.

Plan to upgrade the megasquirt with a zeal engineering vr conditioner board so that the squirt can run off the stock subaru timing scheme.

Once upgraded I plan to start working on just piggybacking the squirt and developing a fuel map.

Just gotta by a bunch of parts for all of this to work. Has anyone setup a megasquirt on a subaru 6/7 scheme engine on here? Mostly i was hoping someone had some decent parameters for the sensor's. that way i wouldn't have to pull my temp sensor and boil it to get the specs on it.

Any who wish me luck guys.
scotty b
I don know bout the rest of yooz but I was spectin sumptin else rolleyes.gif
DBCooper
You might want to check out the Megasquirt information in page 13 or 14 of THIS thread. He replaced the stock trigger wheel with an STI 36-2-2 wheel, for something like twenty bucks from Subaru. Good trick, should make everything a lot easier. He also mentions an Autotune feature that must be new in MS. I also saw mention in another thread (Conversion Perversions on the Shoptalk Forums) that he'd switched to all GM sensors, but no big deal.

Elliot Cannon
We talking about a car here or a computer? Seems lately you can't talk about one without the other. lol-2.gif
Ductech
Yeah DBCOOPER You know whats going on. I have considered converting to the wrx wheel. and then also for 30 bucks you can get a vr conditioner circuit added to the megasquirt, that will allow for the two sensor setup used on non wrx motors to work.

As of now i think after more researching i will run the squirt in simultanuos injection mode with just a tach signal off the stock ecu to tell it ignition pulses(stock subaru ecu for ignition). This is the most basic of ways to run the megasquirt. and then i would have to get the vr conditioner or a wrx wheel then i can do sequential injection that would more try to time the injection in realtion to the intake stroke.

Right now im looking up numbers on my engine... Gotta do my motor maths

and get specs on my injectors.

Thanks for chattin about this crap guys
Ductech
Ugghh upon futher investigation There are 2 routes that can be taken. Get a sti crank trigger and drop my motor to take the timing belt off and r&r it. Or wire up the two stock sensor's, and do a secondary vr conditioner with a lot more scope time to set it up(gotta make sure the squirt catches the right signal edge)

That is one cool bug in that post..... almost makes me want a bug again. Hell I don't even have five lug on my 914 .. damn kid has it on his trick little bug.

I think I'll get the sti crank wheel and pull my motor and refresh my tranny at the same time.

smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
Ductech
Oh and the Autotune feature is something that turned me onto the Megasquirt. From the manual it reminds of using the nemesis ecu's that I was tuning at the Ducati dealership.

And let me tell you Autotuning with a wideband is some fun and surprisingly easy
Mike Bellis
I know we are all CSOB's, and this idea is more money, but... Have you considered the Apexi Power Commander? It's plug and play to your subaru harness and has a hand programmer,fuel cut defender, boost controller and more. I almost bought one for my Turbo Rotary conversion. But alas, I went with a Haltech. I have used MS in the past. Nothing wrong with it. I made my present choice only because it is advanced technology over the MS and is has built in spark control for the rotary dual spark split. I have a MS ECU in the garage and it's a PITA to make it work with a rotary engine.

Good luck with your project. Post lots of pictures and document it well. I'm sure many will come after you and look to your thread for inspiration. beerchug.gif
Ductech
Heh Now anything that has power commander in the name reminds me of throwing power commanders on bikes and dyno tuning. Power commander like piggyback systems only do well where they are tuned in my opinion, mostly because of atmospheric changes. And this all depends on whether or not you build in an atmospheric pressure compensation map in that thing or not. If it's a true piggy back then it will only change fueling so much from the stock ecu and if the stock ecu goes leaner or rich cause of atmospheric changes it could throw things off more.

I have had people tune there bikes with piggybacks and as soon as they get up the mountain they feel as though the bike is not as smooth.

Right now my biggest problem with fueling is during the warm up routine while the engine is below 160' F During this time the motor runs really lean and pops, has no power etc. If I used a piggy back unless it could tell the car was cold and had a specific cold correction map then it would be useless. Oh and as soon as i get a new camera I will document the install of the squirt. I also want to post tuning screen shots and maybe some tutorials for the more advanced stuff that may help squirt converts Subaru or type 4 or v8.... The pineapple motors take some wierd tomfoolery to get the ignition pulses correct, mostly to do with the secondaries i believe. Although i tend to believe if someone wrote code to run an odd fire 90' seperated ducati twin with megasquirt im sure some dork figured out the rotary.
Ductech
Oh never mind seems the apexi is a simple plug in and go tune setup at quite the price.

I tend to like more cobbly Look at this crazy shit when it comes to my FI(only if it runs well). DIY is more up my alley.

Mike Bellis
I hear ya! My Haltech has a built in MAP just like the MS. It also has an input for almost any additional MAP sensor. I'm using the RX7 turbo MAP and using the onboard for atmospheric compensation. I'm also going with a wide band O2 for the "self tune" aspect. The one thing the MS is missing is sequencial injector timing. You can do it now with another module. You can also do spark with another module. MS is good stuff for the DIY tuner.
Ductech
kg6dxn I have found over the last couple of years that since FI is resonably simple to modify there has been a rash of different fuel management systems and they all sorta vary on their abilities depending on really what you the consumer will put up with as far as install and use hassle. Me I always wanted to be a mad scientist when it came to electronics. So thats why the squirt is up my alley, its like one of those "first circuit electrical kits" your mom got you as a kid. Oh except this one allows the use of boosted tuning on my motor! 130 dollar upgrade and the squirt could do seq inj and full ignition off of my stock ej22 pickup sensors(cam and crank)

So I am about 85% done with my cheese dick wiring harness and its connector to the existing harness on my car(Subie ej22 stock legacy wiring gutted and reassembled) The PO of this megasquirt had questionable wiring skills. Not that I would say I'm much better, I have yet to have a major electrical problem with this car. Infact the original subaru install went really really smoothly.

Also the PO of my megasquirt had a couple of mods done in the box that are particular to his ignition pickup setup he was running. These had to be removed for my setup (pulled a pullup resistor)

Now here is my last thought for the day. How would you guys like to see this crap. I borrowed a camera from a friend the other day. And I currently had a mushroom cloud of starting to replace my front bushings and it grew to ball joints and tie rods so i'm not in a super hurry to get the squirt installed and tuned. Would you guys be interested in me posting up a bunch of install pics and what the interface is like and maybe my over drawn out views of how it all works?

You never know maybe I could make it into the classics section.

We could call the thread " hows to megasquirts about damn near anythings" by a hick.

Ok Let me know here guys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.