Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: newbie oil change question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
potomacmidget
All,

I just ordered the oil strainer gasket kit/crush washer + a mahle filter from pelican, and I read a string from the Cap'n on how to change the oil (I have had my 71 1.7L for a couple of months) but noted on pelican that they don't sell the washer for the drain plug anymore. Will I be able to re-use the washer on the drain plug? (assuming there is one on there) and/or who else should I buy one from? As I am new to this car (I have an MG as my other toy) what other vendors should I look up online? Any advice appreciated.

thanks
Reg
NORD

Thats right nobody sells them. I had to go to the Porsche Dealer

told him I wanted 6 ea. He gave me 6 ea. for free and told me

if thier wrong come see him. They were the gaskets for the

strainer kit. The plug is a little more wider driving.gif

welcome.png
potomacmidget
QUOTE(NORD @ Jun 18 2011, 03:12 PM) *

Thats right nobody sells them. I had to go to the Porsche Dealer

told him I wanted 6 ea. He gave me 6 ea. for free and told me

if thier wrong come see him. They were the gaskets for the

strainer kit. The plug is a little more wider driving.gif

welcome.png

Thanks Nord - off to the local dealership next week...

Reg
type47
One source I use for type IV stuff that is "close" to us is bus depot in PA. Not worth it to just order drain washers but when you get a few items and that makes the shipping worth it. McMaster-Carr also has a nice selection of hardware.

busdepot.com

I've also used Pelican, GPR, AA, autohausaz, bus boys, others that don't come to mind
potomacmidget
QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 18 2011, 06:42 PM) *

One source I use for type IV stuff that is "close" to us is bus depot in PA. Not worth it to just order drain washers but when you get a few items and that makes the shipping worth it. McMaster-Carr also has a nice selection of hardware.

busdepot.com

I've also used Pelican, GPR, AA, autohausaz, bus boys, others that don't come to mind

Thanks for the resources Jim, I will check them out, guess your just down the road from me, I use to live in Burke years ago...
type47
Where are you now? There is probably a teener in your area that would give you a drain washer biggrin.gif I have a few
Cap'n Krusty
Since I always remove the sump and never the drain plug during an oil change, I've never needed an extra drain plug gasket. The gaskets are the same for both, and should never be reused.

The Cap'n
bandjoey
Www allzim com. They have one I've used for a couple of years. They had these made. Works fine.
potomacmidget
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 19 2011, 03:32 PM) *

Www allzim com. They have one I've used for a couple of years. They had these made. Works fine.

Bill - thanks for the response, I will check them out.

Reg
Cevan
Any copper crush washer of the correct size should work. I bought 20 of them online a few years back.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 18 2011, 08:42 PM) *

busdepot.com

Good place! Nice folks. Dedicated. Recommend them for bits & pieces!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.