Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tool to cut Guide Bosses for Dual Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I have a couple sets of heads that I needed the valve guide bosses cut for dual springs. I sent one to bug patch- they were nicely done. I need the other set done however I would really like to do it myself. I am a tool junkie and this looks like a fun opportunity to buy more tools.

I have seen that bug patch sells a tool for this purpose however I am looking for other options. Does anybody know of a tool to use to cut the guide bosses? I was considering getting a valve spring seat cutter which would probably work for this purpose.

Any ideas?
r_towle
post a pic of a before and after seat.

Rich
tornik550
Here are some pics from one of my head with the guide bosses cut and one before any work.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
do you have a mill?

Could be simple to weld a piece of tool steel to an old valve head and grind it to the proper radius/diameter both inside and out.

Jig up the head in the mill so the seat is level and use the new tool like an end mill....just missing the middle.

the other alternative would be to get an end mill and chuck in on the lathe, the remove the middle. that is not a cheap way of doing it, but it would work.

rich
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 18 2011, 10:49 PM) *

do you have a mill?

Could be simple to weld a piece of tool steel to an old valve head and grind it to the proper radius/diameter both inside and out.

Jig up the head in the mill so the seat is level and use the new tool like an end mill....just missing the middle.

the other alternative would be to get an end mill and chuck in on the lathe, the remove the middle. that is not a cheap way of doing it, but it would work.

rich

I think buying the cutter would be easier.

Do a google search for Goodson.
ME733
For the Spring Seat cutter use ...K-LINE .625 X 1.350 You will need to purchase Pilots for this cutter in whatever size valve stem size(s) you will use. 8mm, 9mm, 10,mm.......Cutting down the valve guide (length) requires a simple stright cutter also with a appropiate sized pilot....K-LINE will have all the head cutters/tools you will need. You will need a valve guide reamer and cleaner to deburr the inside of the valve guide. Remember If you are going to have a much higher lift camshaft, you should use valves with approximately .100 ths longer LENGTH., and valve springs which will not coil bind in compression. Dual valve springs are the only way to go for an engine built with quality. Head work is tedious, but is one of the KEY sources of H.P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.