Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help puget teeners!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matteyp
Hey I know everyone seems to be busy but I could really use some help tuning up my car. Its got some timing issues and I would really love if someone could come over and help me get it running properly. The car is pretty much finished and i would really like to drive it this summer. Can someone come over? Im in the beacon hill seatle area. Thanks!

Matt
matteyp
Free beer/burgers? Money?? Can someone help me out this week? I just wanna drive my car....
rjames
Unfortunately, I'm knee deep in my own 914 projects for the next few weeks. Where in the process of timing your car are you at? Do you have the Haynes manual?
matteyp
Never done timing before. Everyone has opinions on how the timing is done but ive never done it and I just want someone to show me. Once i see how it's done I'll know how to do it in the future. Plus it may not just be a timing. Seems like it backfires a lot and generally has no power at all. Could be an injector or timing or something else. I really have no idea. I'm betting it's something simple. Probably someone who really knows what there doing could solve my issues in a couple minutes.
TheCabinetmaker
You can do it yourself. Do you have a light? how bout a dwell meter? dwell and timing is very easy. There are hundreds of folks here who can walk you thru it. I recently walked a young guy thru removeing distributor, and changing points and condensor in a walmart parking lot on the phone. It was his first time too. Hell, you don't even need a dwell meter. Just a .016 feeler gauge.
matteyp
Well maybe you could walk me through it or give me
Some step by steps on here. I don't have a light or anything but maybe i can just go pick up a cheap one at harbor freight or something
76-914
Is this a first start up? A known runbner? Any history i.e. it was fine until???? Yes youu need to get a timing light. HB has one that is cheap and has an advance built in. < $40. .016" is pretty much on but you'll need a dwell meter to dial it in if you run points. If you run Pertronix or equivalent then you wont need to bother with setting the dwell. Pull your distributor, check the axial play, the advance plate, ground strap connection. Can't tell you much more w/o more info. Important things like is it FI or carbs, etc. beerchug.gif

Edit: there is a current thread on how to time so no need to mention here.
matteyp
ok so the car is a 73 1.7 fuel injected. ran good before it was pulled. Pulled the motor and put it in my car. Havent driven it all. just got it running last week. Had some electrical issues but got those all worked out. I'm not running petronix right now I just want to get it running well before I mess with anything else. When your saying to check the axial play and and advance plate i dont know what that means can you explain? thanks
76-914
QUOTE(matteyp @ Jun 19 2011, 06:22 PM) *

ok so the car is a 73 1.7 fuel injected. ran good before it was pulled. Pulled the motor and put it in my car. Havent driven it all. just got it running last week. Had some electrical issues but got those all worked out. I'm not running petronix right now I just want to get it running well before I mess with anything else. When your saying to check the axial play and and advance plate i dont know what that means can you explain? thanks

Is there any noticeable play in the shaft of the dist.? There is a plate beneath your points that can swivel or move. That is your centrifical advance. Does it snap back into place? Does it move freely ie no sticking? So it was running fine right after you hooked it up in your car for how long? I mean was it fine for 5 mins, 5hr's ????? I'm trying to figure out if your problems began immediately after the install or later. If so how much later?
jsaum
Matt,
I haven't worked on fuel injected engines mine are all carbs but I do have a timing light and dwell meter and would be willing to stop by one evening this week and take a look. PM me with your phone number.

Jsaum
matteyp
J, that would be awesome. I sent u a pm.
There is play in the shaft, and it doesn't really snap back at all. The car was driven a distance to riches house, then we pulled it and put it in my car several months later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.