Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacation on the Oregon Coast
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
A&PGirl
I guess I should come clean. smile.gif

My Dad and I will be vacationing on the Oregon coast during Job Corps annual summer break.

The general plans are leave Thurs/Friday depending on if an alignment can be done and somehow end up on the Oregon coast Sat/Sun/Mon.

Pre-planned stops:

Salt Lake City-me for the speed skate shop (either coming or going)
JRust's place in Corvallis
Beach
Roseburg-Parker's Metal Working
One of the museum's

Where we'll stay:

Oregon coast?
All have the bonus of being near Jamie's place while being on/near a beach.

What else should we see/do?

Right, well it obviously didn't work out to leave yesterday or today. wink.gif The manuals are seriously lacking. rolleyes.gif Hopefully, we can launch sometime Sunday.
drgchapman
How about the WCR in Medford. Jamie is the organizer. Gonna be a blast on Friday at the autocross.
URY914
We went to the coast after the '06(?) WRC. It was great. You gotta go to the Tellamook area.
Elliot Cannon
If your A&P stands for airframe and powerplant you might want to check out the Tillamook Air Museum.
A&PGirl
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 19 2011, 05:13 PM) *

If your A&P stands for airframe and powerplant you might want to check out the Tillamook Air Museum.

It does.
Comanchepilot
Also add the McMinnville\Evergreen Aviation museum. The Spruce Goose along with many other spectacular aircraft/spacecraft are there.
JRust
QUOTE(Comanchepilot @ Jun 19 2011, 03:48 PM) *

Also add the McMinville\Evergreen Aviation museum. The Spruce Goose along with many other spectacular aircraft/spacecraft are there.

I was going to recommend this also. I have yet to go but I have heard great things about it. It isn't to far north of my place either. About an hour to an hour & 15 minutes. Let me know for sure when you will be coming by. I am sure we can get some BBQ going. Maybe even scrounge up a few of the teeners in my area.
Mike Knox
Hello from Southern Oregon!!

You wrote:

>My Dad and I will be vacationing on the Oregon coast during Job Corps annual >summer break.

>Salt Lake City-me for the speed skate shop (either coming or going)
>JRust's place in Corvallis
>Beach

Where we'll stay:

>Oregon coast; either Agate Beach State Rec park, South Beach or Beverly Beach >State Parks, last resort KOA. All have the bonus of being near Jamie's place >while being on/near a beach.

>What else should we see/do?

The northern Oregon and Southern Oregon coasts are very different. I agree with the previous suggestions for you to see Tillamook and the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville. Do McMinnville first then head to the coast and see Tillamook. Head south on Hwy 101 try your hand at kite flying in Lincoln City. Then stop at Newport for the Hatfield Marine Sciences Center. Also in Newport have lunch at Mo's Clam Chowder. It's the best there is. Keep heading south, stopping at the Sea Lion Caves, the only roosting place for Stellar Sea Lions on the mainland. Then just south of Coos Bay go to Shore Acres State Park, which is a botanical garden on what used to be a family estate. Continue heading south to Bandon, and artist colony and big time golf destination area. Continue south to Gold Beach, and take a Jet Boat ride UP the Rogue River from it's mouth. Keep heading south through Brookings, then head EAST on Hwy 199 a GREAT 914 road. That way you'll get to see the giant redwoods of Redwoods National Park, and Jedidiah Smith State Park. Be sure and stop at STOUT GROVE. To get there you'll go through a gothic arch covered bridge made entirely out of redwood. This is the area where one of the star wars movies was filmed. Camping is abundant but try to stay at Cape Blanco State Park or Harris Beach State Park, or Jedidiah Smith State Park.

Hwy 199 goes inland and will connect you to I-5.

If you're heading north on the coast, be sure and stop at Ft Stevens State Park (camping available), which is where Lewis and Clark wintered over. Walk on the beach there and you'll see the remains of a big ship that ran ashore during a storm many years ago. Go to the mouth of the Columbia River and see the war between the ocean and the river, one of the most treacherous crossings on earth. Then head inland on Hwy 26 which will get you to Portland. There you can take I-84 up the Columbia River. There are many areas to see, but don't miss Crown Point, Multnomah Falls, and The Dalles Dam. As you head east on I-84, be sure and take the underground tour at Pendleton. Just past Pendleton there's a small wayside with a Conestoga Wagon demonstration. It will show you how these rigs were the precursors of modern RV's in their creativity. In Baker City stop at the Oregon Trail Museum. Camp at Farewell Bend State Park, where the emigrants to Oregon said good bye as the trail split.

If you're heading back east, let me know and I can plot a route for you back to I-80 that will treat you to some other rarely seen areas.

I'm not a travel agent, just a 5th generation native of Oregon, who really loves my state. I've been all over this place, so ask any question you want. I'll try to answer it.

Mike
Tom_T
Not sure what you're driving, but camping out of a 914 is a blast! biggrin.gif

Take a drive up Mt. Ashland driving-girl.gif - fun twisties that make the Cookson Hills look tame! w00t.gif
A&PGirl
Thanks for all the positive replies!

Tom_T: We're driving a Fleetwood Tioga hauling an 18ft trailer behind and pets stashed inside.

We haven't left yet. wink.gif We're putting all new ball joints, bushings, tie rods, shocks, springs and sway bars on this thing because its well over 20 years old. It also gets a new radiator, hoses, belt & alternator.

Engine easy- 4 hrs est.

Front work- headbang.gif ar15.gif headbang.gif beer.gif smash.gif smile.gif Profit

Out of curiosity, does anyone want me to bring some of my hardware kits along? I need to know so I can find a place to stash them in the motorhome.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.