Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coil wiring backwards
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonr
I have a 1976 2.0. I purchased a Bosch blue coil . I know the green condensor wire goes to neg #1 on the coil. It wont start this way. When I move it to the positive post it starts. What is going on with this. Crossed wires somwhere else?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(simonr @ Jun 19 2011, 04:40 PM) *

I have a 1976 2.0. I purchased a Bosch blue coil . I know the green condensor wire goes to neg #1 on the coil. It wont start this way. When I move it to the positive post it starts. What is going on with this. Crossed wires somwhere else?

If that's on Terminal 1, what's on terminal 15 ?

I don't believe you can have _both_ points and switched +12 on Terminal 15 so - tell us _everything_ connected to the coil, and to what terminal.
simonr
Green is on + . black and red on #12. Black on #15 thats the only way it will run I think that is backwards. It wont run the correct way
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(simonr @ Jun 19 2011, 05:27 PM) *

Green is on + . black and red on #12. Black on #15 thats the only way it will run I think that is backwards. It wont run the correct way

Terminal 12? Where is that ?

The 'black' wire - where does that go?
Try leaving it off - it's probably the tach (should have a violet tracer...)

Then - black and red to Terminal 15 (+) - first verify that this is your switched +12
And the points wire to Termina1 1 (-).

Are there other wires connected to the distributor? Where do they go...

The Kettering ignition system is dirt-simple, but it does have a few rules...
simonr
Got it !! Thanks for your help . My engine seems to be running cooler too
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(simonr @ Jun 19 2011, 06:44 PM) *

Got it !! Thanks for your help . My engine seems to be running cooler too

Happy to help.
Since sooner or later someone is bound to encounter this same problem - what was where, and what did you do to fix it ?
Where did you wind up connecting the black wire, and what did it do ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.