Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pistons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
I purchased a set of Mahle pistons and requested flat tops. They sent me dished. I am keeping the engine stock [it's a 2.0 FI] and I figure I am only picking up about 3 hp with the flats so I may just put these in. I was told the dished also run cooler...any tuth to that?

Peter
Jake Raby
How big is the dish (cc wise) have a pic?
seanery
non-educated guess here:

Do the dished run cooler because the compression is lower?
Jake Raby
There are different dished pistions.. Bus pistons have a 13-15cc dish. US Spec 914 pistons have a 7cc dish. Euro pistons have a 3cc dish, and some are totally flat.

LOWER CR DOES NOT RUN COOLER! The combinations of CR and camshaftare endless. Lower CR runs just as hot because it kills efficiency. Bus engines used lower CR mainly to get rid of cylinder pressures- a bus weighs near 5,000 pounds.
Part Pricer
Peter,

I'm not sure who you purchased these from, but if you decide to keep them you should make sure that they compensate you correctly. There is a dealer cost differential of $39.38 per set. IMO, they should offer you at least $50 to keep them.

BTW, I wouldn't keep them. Insist that they send you what you paid for and have them pay shipping to return the wrong item they shipped.
Mark Henry
agree.gif

The big dish are bus pistons, if you paid for euro's (flat tops) then that's what you should get. Also the shipping should be on their dime if you ordered the euro's.
newdeal2
Well the owner will replace them with Flat Tops on his dime. If they don't run "cooler" ... I don't want to sacrifice compression.

Thanks guys
Jake Raby
How can you prove they run cooler??

ALL the engines tuning will change with these, as the efficiency has been changed by about 20%.
SirAndy
dude, 3 (or even 4) threads for one question ???
can't you keep it all together?

i'm getting all confuzzeled,
laugh.gif Andy
newdeal2
Andy,

It's under control. Won't happen again smile.gif))
Pnambic
Dang, I thought at first that this thread might be about the DETROIT PISTONS humiliating those left coast Lakers in the finals this year.
boldblue.gif lol2.gif w00t.gif

Go PISTONS!!!
newdeal2
OK, West Coast Core is sending me a set of AA Forged Flat top pistons. He says there are good pistons but then I am not sure who to trust.

Any opinions?
Part Pricer
AA? Others will chime in here, but I believe that those are the ones that are made in Japan and are of questionable quality.
Mueller
for the money, the AA import parts are a decent deal(inspect them carefully)

not too sure they offer forged pistons or not, my euro 2.0 flat tops from them are cast

Go PISTONS!!!
Mark Henry
Hmmmm.....

Sounds like someone that should be avoided. <_<

If you paid for Mahle's you should get Malhe's.

I'd most likely send it back and say forget it dOOd.
Part Pricer
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 15 2004, 12:57 PM)
Hmmmm.....

Sounds like someone that should be avoided. dry.gif

If you paid for Mahle's you should get Malhe's.

I'd most likely send it back and say forget it dOOd.

That's really good advice.

I would send the seller a note stating something like:

While I don't believe you intentionally listed this auction item fraudulently, it was an incorrect and negligent listing under Ebay guidlines. Since I did not receive what you advertised, I am return shipping it to you and expect you to return my $xxx.xx total costs plus an additional $yy.yy for return shipping costs which I expect will be the same as the original. This would make a total of $(xxx.xx + yy.yy). On receipt of your payment, I will consider the auction transaction complete and will leave you a positive feedback indicating you quickly resolved a problem and stand by what you are selling on ebay. As I notice most of your transactions are selling, this should be of help to you in all future transactions. Please reply.
Mark Henry
Can we have the link to the ebay auction you won?
newdeal2
Here's the auction link. The pistons he sent were Mahles...they were in the original "kit" box. As you will see in the description he says add $70.00 for the flat tops. Somehow he missed it and sent the dished [bus] pistons. The owner has been very cooperative and also refunded the extra cost to ship them back. He is sending me AA flat tops and that's the only question at this point...will they be as good or equal to the Mahles.
newdeal2
Let me try that again...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWN%3AIT
Mark Henry
Found it before you fixed it...

BRAND NEW TYPE IV/PORSCHE piston and cylinders in the box ready to go set of 4 piston and cylinders 94mm,MANUFACTURE IS MAHLE. new piston, cylinders, rings, keepers, wrist pins. supplies are limited so purchase while at this low price. check my other auctions for: A complete engine gasket set $39.95 3)Pair rebuilt TYPE IV HEADS $359.95 exc. we also have ever thing to rebuild your complete motor in stock for immidiate delivery. ALso these are dished pistons if you would like flat topped add $70.00 to final price. thanks for looking, bidding and purchasing in advance. WEST COAST CORE 661-726-9915

If you paid $229.95 for your pistons, then yes, you bought bus pistons.
If you added the $70. you should get Mahle flat tops.

The AA's will work, just not as as good quality wise. Look for defects and I believe Jake said they're heavier. Get them balanced.
newdeal2
Hmmm. balance them...sounds expensive. What's the advantage? blink.gif
Mark Henry
If they’re way off it’s not good.

Try Fisher Buggies in Tampa, or ask Sundance Bugs in Tarpon Springs to help you out.
It should be under $50.

Or if you have a dope smoking buddy with scales…. smoke.gif
Jake Raby
BALANCE EVERYTHING!

Engines are reciprocating and rotating all the time. Out of balance conditions can rip the engine apart, make everything vibrate loose, wear bearings and COST HP!

I spent 40K bucks on my balancer- because balancing is a MUST!

You should see just how far out assemblies can be, and some pistons (Mahle's) have been out 23 grams in one set!
newdeal2
OK...sounds like a must. So what do they do to balance them? Remove/add material on the inside?
newdeal2
Will I need to do anything else to the cylinder/pistons [they are a kit] before installing?
Jake Raby
Material is removed from the pistons, for balance purposes.
TROJANMAN
i just found this thread on a search, because i am rebuilding my engine. i too contacted West Coast. the guy told me that the mahle's were unavailable in the flat tops, then tried to push the AA pistons on me. he said it was an NPR company, or something like that, and that is what people were using at the local track. any thoughts? he did say they were forged and made in Japan.
Part Pricer
QUOTE(glstrojan @ Jun 23 2004, 11:02 AM)
i too contacted West Coast. the guy told me that the mahle's were unavailable in the flat tops

bs.gif

Mahle Euro P&Cs are available. There are plenty in the distribution channel.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Jun 23 2004, 08:11 AM)
Mahle Euro P&Cs are available. There are plenty in the distribution channel.

any recommended place to make the purchase? what's a good price?
Part Pricer
any recommended place to make the purchase? what's a good price?

The price that you will pay depends on how much you want to work.

The lowest price on the net is from Boozak. Their price for Mahle 94mm non-dished P&Cs is $467.82 shipping included. Search on part number and enter A2042-35386.

If you want to work a little bit, contact drivewire. They have a policy where they will beat other people's prices by 5%. Point them to product # A2042-35386 on the Boozak site and they should give them to you for $444.43 shipping included. BTW, the drivewire catalog has them for $480.02.

It really doesn't matter who you order them from. They'll be drop-shipped from the same warehouse.
TROJANMAN
beer.gif thanks
seanery
HIJACK ALERT

I've got a question regarding size. If I've got 94mm Euro Pistons and switch to 96mm flat pistons will there be a noticeable difference? Other mods already done are a webcam 494, dual IDF 40s, SSIs...

thanks.

/HIJACK
TROJANMAN
FYI _this place was the cheapest i found for p&c prices. parts
Mueller
FYI _this place was the cheapest i found for p&c prices. parts

a few problems with that find:

no mention what kind of pistons/cylinder for the smaller size, and the shipping from Germany could offset any savings.....for cheap import P/C's, AA Imports is still the cheapest (not automobile atlanta)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.