Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First/Reverse Grind When Hot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
project-914
That's right

My car runs surprisingly smooth when first started, but when it warms up, first and reverse are a noisy chore

I just finished redoing the clutch cable tube at the firewall by adding a small plate (don't worry, this car is by no means concours)

I adjusted the cable and shift linkage accordingly (done it a thousand times)

When in gear, the car starts lurching about an inch off of the floor (no pedal board)

But, when it is hot, first and reverse grind a little bit and sometimes a lot.

Could this be because my cable runs right by the header and the cable stretches due to heat? I feel like my pressure plate it grazing the clutch disc ever so slightly.

Why is this only when the car has warmed up? My bushings are all ok (even on the fork pivot)

Johnny
Mike Bellis
Your cable is too loose. The clutch should not engage an inch off the floor. Add another 1/2 turn at a time until it does not grind in reverse. No syncro for reverse.
Spoke
Your clutch should be adjusted to have about 1 inch of play when at rest.

How far can you push the clutch in until you feel resistance?
jcambo7
QUOTE(project-914 @ Jun 19 2011, 11:06 PM) *

That's right

My car runs surprisingly smooth when first started, but when it warms up, first and reverse are a noisy chore

I just finished redoing the clutch cable tube at the firewall by adding a small plate (don't worry, this car is by no means concours)

When in gear, the car starts lurching about an inch off of the floor (no pedal board)

Could this be because my cable runs right by the header and the cable stretches due to heat? I feel like my pressure plate it grazing the clutch disc ever so slightly.

Why is this only when the car has warmed up? My bushings are all ok (even on the fork pivot)

Johnny

That is awesome you finally got that thing running. Now adjust the clutch cable like the other two guys said. Hopefully it's not something worse man. How is the drivers door? Did you get that fixed?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(project-914 @ Jun 19 2011, 11:06 PM) *

That's right

Johnny

Change your oil. 80-90 GL5
project-914
OK

So, I tightened the cable nut two full turns, and it fixed it. I really think the heat was stretching the cable! WOW!

I will tighten it some more when I get home

No, the driver's door is still wack, but it was a year ago now that I saw your beautiful 6-cylinder on the way to work. Now another teener drives down broadway!!!
rick 918-S
I know you said you tightened the cable but double check your clutch tube. I could be cracked free and flexing. Sometimes the cable adjustment cures it for a while. Maybe it's fine but if it continues it may be somethng to check.
jcambo7
QUOTE(project-914 @ Jun 20 2011, 08:59 AM) *

OK

So, I tightened the cable nut two full turns, and it fixed it. I really think the heat was stretching the cable! WOW!

I will tighten it some more when I get home

No, the driver's door is still wack, but it was a year ago now that I saw your beautiful 6-cylinder on the way to work. Now another teener drives down broadway!!!

That sucks. Maybe you should save up for a decent rust free roller that's straight and one car. Yeah that was awhile ago. Hard to believe I'm no longer in Oklahoma. Thought I was going to be stuck there for a long time. Oh and my car is running again thanks to my brother in-law and the guy that built the engine Jeff. What color is the teener you keep seeing.
project-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 20 2011, 09:17 AM) *

I know you said you tightened the cable but double check your clutch tube. I could be cracked free and flexing. Sometimes the cable adjustment cures it for a while. Maybe it's fine but if it continues it may be somethng to check.

It already tore through the firewall so I had a plate fabbed and welded. I'd be surprised it is tore through again

BUT YOU NEVER KNOW! poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.