Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: There are benefits to not being married sometimes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toolguy
So I started restoring a 914 -6 10 weeks ago. . I'm retired so i can spend 8 hours a day no sweat, I finished the body and lower portion is painted. . . start exterior paint tomorrow. . .

in the meantime I've been redoing all the components and, as a true Porsche guy, don't want them laying around getting dirty so what better place than all over my living room floor. .
My ex would have never allowed this. . too bad. .
RickS
Most excellent use of the living room. Keep us posted on your progress - and my wife does let me bring in a few parts during the winter but not the entire suspension. Very nice work.
messix
i rebuild stuff on my kitchen counter all the time [lots of counter space!]
banksyinoz
My wife is great she let me have a bigger garage, maybe to stop me bringing parts into the lounge biggrin.gif
DBCooper
Ha ha ha, see you that and raise you one... I've got a BMW R1100RS in mine. It lost one cylinder but has spark on that side. This is Houston so it's way too hot/humid and the mosquitoes way too large and athletic for me to work outside.
reharvey
Wow! Nice work. I'm also not married and bring my parts into the house all the time. What better place to keep them safe from harm after they've been rebuilt!
FourBlades

Nice decor! That looks like it will be a super nice /6.

Post some pictures of the rest of your restoration.

John

Jakeodoule
I am married and still have a Ducati in the LR
You just need to get the right wife.

Click to view attachment
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Jun 21 2011, 05:27 AM) *

I am married and still have a Ducati in the LR
You just need to get the right wife.

Click to view attachment

agree.gif
She IS a keeper for sure. But seriously there; It's not like you have any room left in your shop with the other 15+ bikes, cars and other manly offerings. . . You can't let that just sit outside can ya?? biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Nice work on the six; I am jealous. Given that we never use the living room, that would seem (to me) to be a most excellent use of space. Unfortunately my wife is a little less liberal when it comes to car parts in the house.
Tom_T
welcome.png

Looks like an excellent -6 resto from what you've posted. I hope to see it at some of the PCA SDR & other Zone 8 events once done.

My wife has all of HER hobby crapola in our LR & DR - painting, quilting, vintage dishes, etc. - so I get a corner with the latest item being worked on or last shipment from the usual sources! dry.gif

Gotta rework the garage & outdoor storage for more work space out there! Fortunately SoCal isn't like Houston's B-29 sized mosquitos! biggrin.gif
Scott S
This was our dining room in my first place... AFTER becoming single again back in 93-94. I thought it looked quite nice/homey.

The niegbors were not as pleased....
Scott S
here is the new house living room, right after we moved in in 2008. This was my now wifes idea - although I cant actually play it up there (she is no dummy....)
RFoulds
back in the 80's, A dear friend of mine, Had a four car garage full of projects, so he added sliding glass doors to his living room and parked his Ferrari 308GTB there. Looked great!
gandalf_025
As others have stated.. It is all in WHO you marry...
Something to be said about having similar interests..
My wife was at my Mechanics Shop with me all the time when we were growing up.

Her daily drivers over the years have ranged from a
1970 Targa to a Sunbeam Tiger to a 1990 ZR1 Corvette..
Currently an 86 911 and a 99 A4 Quattro.
She learned to drive a standard on my 6 when she was about 16

Then again, I had the luxury of knowing her from when she was preschool.
moparrob
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jun 21 2011, 12:18 PM) *

As others have stated.. It is all in WHO you marry...

agree.gif

Truer words have never been spoken. I am teaching my son that concept at the present...
r_towle
my wife has agreed to never ask about what is in the barn....and nothing comes in the house except books and greasy people....

Rich
Scott S
I both agree and disagree. I think it is a simple matter of respect - I respect what she likes and she does the same with me - to a point - Ha!

I actually would become annoyed with having somone where we shadowed each other all the time. I love my wife and kiddos more than anything, but it is nice to have a quiet moment ot two down in the shop or behind a kit once in a while to shake off the day. Cars and drums are my thing. Triathlons are her thing. Everything else from skiing to traveling to working on the house - and obviously family - are "our" thing. It's great, I feel very very lucky. wub.gif
patssle

That's one aspect, but another aspect is respecting each others interests, even if you don't share them.

Generally speaking, she might not care about cars, but she should recognize the fact that working on them makes him happy. He might not care about clothes and shoes, but he should recognize the fact that she loves them.

My uncle is an original owner of a TR-3. She doesn't care about cars one single bit and has only ridden in it a couple times in the 40+ years they have been together. But she doesn't tell him it's either "her or the car". It's part of who he is and what makes him happy.
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
FourBlades

Is that case half bottom shelf dishwasher safe? biggrin.gif

John
trojanhorsepower
URY914,

Those pictures say it all. Thats awesome.
dw914er
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jun 21 2011, 09:06 AM) *

here is the new house living room, right after we moved in in 2008. This was my now wifes idea - although I cant actually play it up there (she is no dummy....)

My goal is to have a drumset or drum related item in every room in the house. I mean, why not beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Nice kits btw, and to the thread starter, nice suspension!!!
stugray
URY914,

I love it, I might actually try that during my rebuild (I'll send the wife to the Spa;-)

What did you use for detergent?
Simple green comes to mind.

In college, I rebuilt both a Karmann Ghia engine and my 914 engine in my living room of my rented apartment.
For the 914, my roommate was leaving for the weekend and said, "As long as it doesnt cost me any of my deposit".

When he got back on Sunday evening, he looked at the living room and said, "I guess you never got to the engine rebuild huh?".

I said, oh no, we pulled the engine, rebuilt it right there on the floor, and put it back in the car :-)

LOTS of tarps, newspapers, and paper towels.

You get funny looks carrying an engine up the stairs to the second story of a condo....

Stu
reharvey
Click to view attachmentSee---this stuff is nice and safe where it won't get damaged.
Lou W
Yup, I agree smile.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Lou W @ Jun 21 2011, 04:15 PM) *

Yup, I agree smile.gif

Nice Marazzi tile Lou. I have the same stuff.
URY914
My best friend in high school rebuilt his MGA engine in his bedroom. I don't think his mom even knew about it.
URY914
The dishwasher pics are not mine. They were posted on another forum. smile.gif
Niklas
My wife have never been to my garage.
I have had the garage for 6 years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.