Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking Brake light won't go out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jzdu
My car is finally driveable and I'm working on a few issues. My parking brake warning light just flashes. Are there any common problems with this? Where should I start? Oh yeah, the button is pushed in.
70-914nut
Check the wiring to the switch, probably bad connection.
McMark
Check the wiring under the parking brake and make sure that's all looking good. When I'm troubleshooting the blinking light, I pull the P-brake switch and disconnect it so it's out of the equation. Then I go fiddle with the wiring on the M/C until the light goes out, then add in the parking brake switch and make that work.

Sometimes the switch on the M/C seems to like the wires one way or another. Also, those switches can fail. Use an ohmmeter to check continuity between the two connections with the wires unhooked, and check continuity between each connection and the body of the switch. None should be connected. If any are, your switch is probably bad. But the good news is that you can swap the switch without needing the bleed the brakes (unless your M/C has a failure).
jzdu
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 21 2011, 03:48 PM) *

Check the wiring under the parking brake and make sure that's all looking good. When I'm troubleshooting the blinking light, I pull the P-brake switch and disconnect it so it's out of the equation. Then I go fiddle with the wiring on the M/C until the light goes out, then add in the parking brake switch and make that work.

Sometimes the switch on the M/C seems to like the wires one way or another. Also, those switches can fail. Use an ohmmeter to check continuity between the two connections with the wires unhooked, and check continuity between each connection and the body of the switch. None should be connected. If any are, your switch is probably bad. But the good news is that you can swap the switch without needing the bleed the brakes (unless your M/C has a failure).

Wow very informative. I'm decent with mechanical stuff, but I suck with electrical issues.

Thanks, Brian

thelogo
but I suck with electrical issues.

Thanks, Brian
[/quote]

had the same problem , drove with it for a couple of weeks no worries ,

my well paid ' mechanic fixed it with a zip tie , go figure

swl
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 21 2011, 02:48 PM) *

When I'm troubleshooting the blinking light, I pull the P-brake switch and disconnect it so it's out of the equation.

The parking brake switch switches to ground. If the problem happens to be the feed wire being pinched by the seat mechanism (it runs back and joins the harness at the rear of the center tunnel) the light will still flash even with the switch removed/disconnected. Took me a while to find that one.
flipb
QUOTE(jzdu @ Jun 21 2011, 05:04 PM) *

My car is finally driveable and I'm working on a few issues. My parking brake warning light just flashes. Are there any common problems with this? Where should I start? Oh yeah, the button is pushed in.

"the button is pushed in" = the button below the e-brake that the handle depresses?

What about the reset button/switch on the MC? Simple fix if that's all it is... Could be just that based on the light flashing. You just need to find the little button on the side of your MC (right next to where one of the wires attaches) and press it to reset.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.