Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Lid Latch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John
My rear trunk lid latch has been getting worse for years and I decided to do something about it.

I took out the plunger and it was worn down.

Click to view attachment
John
I welded it up and ground it down then re-plated and yellow chromated it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
John
Then I re-assembled.

Click to view attachment

Now it works as if it was new.
partwerks
After several adjustments with the plunger, I finally took the spring and bushing out and now it sits down like it should. I also made a manual release in case the solenoid takes a dump.
John
My problem was it wouldn't stay shut.

I do love the Castwell plating stuff. I bought it years ago and am only now figuring out the secrets to make nice zinc plating (and more importantly the yellow chromate).
Tom_T
John, the OE was Yellow Cadmium plating, but it looks very close to what you have done. Nice job! drooley.gif

BTW - Mark W. at Mikey914/914Rubber.com (member vendor on here) sells white Delron seats (in black too) if your OEM nylon one breaks, which looks about the same color-wise, but will last longer. Ditto for the rear trunk rollers in Delron.
John
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 22 2011, 08:00 AM) *

John, the OE was Yellow Cadmium plating, but it looks very close to what you have done. Nice job! drooley.gif

Zinc plating with yellow chromate is as close as I'm ever going to get to original. Ever try Cadmium plating? Most of the time it comes out dark and dull. The bright zinc with yellow chromate comes out close as I can get. It gets the nice hues of greens and blues as well. The yellow chromate helps the zinc hold up better as well as makes it look as it once did.

I plate in buckets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.