Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need new Tires - Opinions needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eric9144
I'm sure I'm opening the flood gates on this one but here goes...

I run 205/60/15s on 4 bolt Fuchs, I've always thought the 60 series looked a little more 'correct' for street use than the 50's so I've tried to stick with those...Well looks like that market is drying up a bit and it's been a long time since my last set of tires so I need to know what's good.

I'm in sunny Southern California so I generally go for a high performance tire and am not so concerned with wet weather performance...I also have a second set of Fuchs for auto-x tires so I'm not looking to put DOT race tires on for street use--they generally suck for street driving too--So far it seems like these are probably my choices:

Goodyear Eagle GT
Falken Ziex ZE-512
Kumho Ecsta ASX
Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid
Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position
BFGoodrich g-Force Sport

I'm sure there's others I haven't listed too, so let the opinions fly... poke.gif
MoveQik
I have the BFG G-Force KDW's and love them. Having a narrow bodied 3.2 I need all the gription I can get and these tires have been great.
Als914
I have run the Potenza RE960 P205/65/R15 for many years on my daily driver with great performance. Used to use Michelins but like the longevity of the Potenza.

I may even be switching to Bridgestone golf balls next. biggrin.gif
KELTY360
I'm running Bridgestone Potenza RE960 195/60/15 on my 4 lug 2L. Not impressed. There is a lot of flex in the sidewall which gives a soft ride but cornering is compromised. They are quiet. Hoping the addition of a front sway bar will tighten things up. I will chose differently next time around.
willamp
I'm running 195/60/15 eagle GTs on original 4 lug fuchs and very happy with street performance. Turn in is quick with no noticable flex. Both back country road and highway ride is excellent. Also very quiet. Initially I thought they looked too wide on the wheels but have gotten used to the look.
Ian Stott
I also went with the Bridgestone Potenzas, 205/60 15, like them a lot.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
dlee6204
I'm currently running 205/60/15 Eagle GT's on mine and are very pleased with them. Good dry/wet traction, good cornering, and overall great tires for everything I throw at them.

Click to view attachment
ArtechnikA
Conti Cross-Contact UHP, 385-50/18.
Oh - for a 914? I have no idea...
914 shifter
205 60 15 eagle gt good all around performance.
eric9144
So far the Potenza's and the Goodyear's seem to be the way to go...No bad comments on the Goodyears so far, mixed bag on the Potenza's...

Great pic 914 shifter!

Anyone else?
thelogo

i also have 4 bolt fuchs , and

use , 195-60 15 's

pirelli 's

in the front and

continental pro contact . in the rear ,

and this tire combination is hard to beat .
Chris Pincetich
if you are willing to roll 195/55 or 205/50 then go with these Dunlops
I luv em beerchug.gif
Read the reviews, use the $80 discount
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...rt+Z1+Star+Spec
stugray
I agree with the eagle GTs.

I ran them many years ago, and they stick like you wouldnt believe.

The only downside is that the compound wears quickly, but in 914 years, you will probably wear out the car before you need to replace them.

195s look more stock, but 205s fit without rubbing.

Stu
eric9144
Anyone tried the BFG G-Force sports?
DanT
Had them on my 964C2 and a good friend had them on his RSA.
Pretty good all around tires and nicely priced.
We both used them for street driving and street tire class AX with very good results.

Would not hesitate getting them again for street tires.
Good traction, not noisy, and decent in wet weather.
thelogo
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jun 22 2011, 05:12 PM) *

use , 195-60 15 's

pirelli 's

in the front and

sorry i meant nitto in the front , nitto nt460 premier touring 195-60-R15

and conti touring contact 195-60- r15 in back

i didn't buy these came on the car , but are super and I'm going to get the same set up on my

mazda protege

Drums66
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jun 22 2011, 05:12 PM) *

use , 195-60 15 's

pirelli 's

in the front and

.....Pirelli's or dunlop 309.gif
wertygrog
I have the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires in 195/55/15 and I definitely recommend them. They stuck like glue on Palomar Mtn. biggrin.gif

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...e+Oval+Indy+500

hot_shoe914
I got some round ones 205/50/15, they work very well. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.