Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sixer that didn't sell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
black 6 on Ebay

It seems even at the buy-it-now price a good deal.
Gint
That's a good question. The seller is on rennlist. And I have seen the car for sale elsewhere for some time now (like 2-3 months or more?). The price keeps getting lower. It seems like a really nice car. Not CW, but a great driver.

I don't get it either.
krk
It does seem like a good one.

But is ebay a good place to purchase this sort of car? I'm not sure quite how to put this.... I have taken chances on "unseen" purchases and the record is mixed. Some of them worked out, but some didn't. I guaranteed you, one screw up, and you learn. The more $$ you pile on, the more risk is involved.

What is a /6 worth today anyway?

kim.
Gint
That car sure sounds like it's worth $14.5k to me. Good question though Kim. It looks like they're worth less than I'll have in mine in a few months.
seanery
I read his RL post and maybe he just needed to add more info and pics to the ebay ad.

I find that you can never have enough pics. Show everything Good & Bad. That way there are no misunderstandings.

I still think, even if it had a little rust here and there that 14.5 is a good price.... wacko.gif

If I didn't already have too many cars I may have bid.
krk
I'm not saying it's not a good car. Far from it. It actually looks very good. And if I had the spare change, I'd probably consider bidding. (Aye... there's the rub.... lots of us will say "if I had the spare change....."....)

But the market isn't exactly kind to these cars. Sure, pristine ones command a good price, tho I don't have the impression that they are moving all that fast lately.

Having been in the market for a /6 for the last couple of years, (and having bought
a couple) I can tell you that waiting and being patient is the right move today. It's more of a buyer's market than a sellers market. And that shows up in auction values.

So there are deals out there if you have some $$ to put into the ring. Again, it does look like a good example of the breed. After it doesn't sell on ebay, take your coin and talk to the dude. Who knows? (Mike knows --- the sound is everything :-) (I got the silver one running today -- yum!)

kim.
Chris H.
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 20 2003, 05:48 PM)
I read his RL post and maybe he just needed to add more info and pics to the ebay ad.

I find that you can never have enough pics. Show everything Good & Bad. That way there are no misunderstandings.

I totally agree. More pics required.

He needed pics of the "floorpan restoration" more than anything. Those types of repairs most people have to get a good look at before bidding. Looks like a very nice car though, and I have no problem with a repaired car. If fixed right I'd say definitely $14.5 is a good deal.

Chris
Gint
(Mike knows --- the sound is everything :-) (I got the silver one running today -- yum!)

I sent to the track today for motivation. Listen......
Bleyseng
I think that is John Watkins car. He had/ did alot of work to get the car to be really nice. But its still just a 2.0l six car as it hasn't been upgraded. I didn't think it was CW type but a excellent driver. He had a nice restored 2.0l 4 cylinder car too. Wonder why he is selling?
Geoff
Gint
It's so easy to drop a bigger motor in a stock 914/6.
seanery
Being JUST a 2.0 6 car isn't a bad thing.
Just about everything up to the 3.2 will bolt right in easily, maybe a fuel pump change and a tweek or two on some electrical bits, but basically in/out and done.
krk
QUOTE(ginter @ Apr 20 2003, 06:15 PM)
(Mike knows --- the sound is everything :-) (I got the silver one running today -- yum!)

I sent to the track today for motivation. Listen......

Mike, for a brief moment, they were both idling together while I was bolting on valences/bumpers/etc. I clearly have carb issues on one as I was high as a kite sucking in the fumes. Good fumes tho :-) Still have the rears to put together for test drives.

Mr Yellow seems to refuse to charge the battery now. Wierd. Not like it's been working overtime or something. Mr Silver is taking the restart process much more happily. Tomorrow is another day! Maybe even a drive!

kim.
Bleyseng
Yeah, but for $15k I want a 3.2 six car atleast. I am not into driving slow in vintage races nor polishing the paint for the CW event.
Mueller's six is looking better and better for that kind of car. Only $10.5K
Geoff MDB2.gif
Porsche Rescue
I assume serious bidders would ask for more pics. and details. One unanswered question is whether or not it is an original black car or color change. He says it needs body and paint work. To most people that says $5000. Now it is $19500. Does sound like a nice car.
krk
jim9146 makes a good point -- most folk can stand messing with mechanicals, but the foray into body work is not something that most of us wanna play with. Certainly in my case, I'm much happier thinking "oh, I just have to rip apart XXX and reassemble it", as opposed to "where's -Rusty???? I have to hack out what????"

kim.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(krk @ Apr 20 2003, 06:49 PM)
jim9146 makes a good point -- most folk can stand messing with mechanicals, but the foray into body work is not something that most of us wanna play with. Certainly in my case, I'm much happier thinking "oh, I just have to rip apart XXX and reassemble it", as opposed to "where's -Rusty???? I have to hack out what????"

kim.

Working with a wrench is far more satisfying that working with sandpaper,
Bleyseng
I have kind of gotten into this "cut and weld" thing that 914's seems to love.
It is messy as hell to cut out rust, weld in new pieces and then paint it.
Tickering with Djet is almost as big a pain in the ass.
Hey wait, why is that what I seem to be doing the most of lately!

I think its time to take apart the transmission.

I thought that the rust had been fixed on that car. He used to have detailed pics on his site (its down). He had the carbs rebuilt after a backfire fire if I remember right.
Geoff
anthony
The floorpan restoration is a big question mark and the ad says "Paint and misc. body repairs needed to complete restoration." It sounds expensive which is why this car didn't sell.
Brad Roberts
I'm am pushed away from cars that have had serious rust repair like this one. Plenty of good solid 6 chassis' running around..no need to purchase a previous headache and continue it.

Reading all the these posts about rusted out sixes is making "Muellers6" look a little better.

I wish we had time to slap a 3.0 or 3.2 in it. I could get 15k for it.

B
Bleyseng
Yeah, Mueller's six is pretty damn nice rust wise. Could use a paint job like RustyWA's the green car at the Seattle Breakfast. Then it would be a $20k car with the 3.2 in it.
Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.