Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what size screws to install rocker covers ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I have a 1975 914 and I have the OEM metal rocker covers and the plastic covers that are designed to mount over the metal ones. I know OEM install is to use the plastic rivets but I want to use screws. I'm thinking SS phillips head but need to know the size. By eye they look like a # 4 or # 6 by aprox. 3/8 - 1/2 inch long. I know some of you must have used screws to install these. What did you use ?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jun 22 2011, 03:20 PM) *

I have a 1975 914 and I have the OEM metal rocker covers and the plastic covers that are designed to mount over the metal ones. I know OEM install is to use the plastic rivets but I want to use screws. I'm thinking SS phillips head but need to know the size. By eye they look like a # 4 or # 6 by aprox. 3/8 - 1/2 inch long. I know some of you must have used screws to install these. What did you use ?

Well, the holes are 1/8", so you need to use a screw appropriate for that size hole.

The Cap'n
rjames
Use the plastic rivets. There was someone here selling them, hopefully that's still the case. Do a search.

if you use regular screws, you may be able to see the tops of them from outside of the car when the door is closed. It also looks tacky. I recommend finding the rivets as I eventually did.

Ask me how I know. biggrin.gif

windforfun
sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 22 2011, 03:43 PM) *

Use the plastic rivets. There was someone here selling them, hopefully that's still the case. Do a search.

if you use regular screws, you may be able to see the tops of them from outside of the car when the door is closed. It also looks tacky. I recommend finding the rivets as I eventually did.

Ask me how I know. biggrin.gif

I just sold the rivets I had I didn't care for them. I want to be able to remove them and clean behind them easily hence the screws.
nathansnathan
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jun 23 2011, 04:34 PM) *

I just sold the rivets I had I didn't care for them. I want to be able to remove them and clean behind them easily hence the screws.

It is kind of annoying that you can't get them out, and when you push them through which is the only way, the centers go inside the long iirc.

Check out this link, they sell 'plastic rivots' which is what the stock rivot is, but they have what they call 'snap rivots', too. which seem the same, but have a head that looks like it would make it possible to remove them. -says they are black but other colors on request so I guess they could do white hopefully.

http://www.plasticsfasteners.com/SnapRivets.html
Dave_Darling
Just use screws that will hold in a 1/8" hole, as the Cap'n says. You can use a permanent marker to make 'em black, or you can buy ones that are black oxidized. They'll be much harder to see from outside the car, unless your rocker covers are not black.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.