Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fluid Reservoir to M/C lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kansas 914
Okay it is time to assemble the front brakes of the car.

Restored Calipers from Eric Shea - CHECK
New Rotors - CHECK
New Brake Pads - CHECK
New Rubber Brake lines - CHECK
New Fluid Reservoir - CHECK
New Master Cylinder - CHECK
New connecting lines from the reservoir to M/C - WTF?? $150!!!

It is hard to justify that money... Is there an elegant replacement solution for these lines?

Cheers!
wingnut86
You can make your own, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Reason? 1 kinked line and you have to start over.

You can purchase pre-measured lengths with the ends installed.

Again, you still need a tubing bender or someone who knows the process and will take you under their wing as an intern smile.gif

Usually a couple of hours will get you started.

Anyone close enough to Kansas914 to show him the ropes on tube bending?

Sword swallowing?

Best of luck.

Wingnut86

Cap'n Krusty
What's wrong with the lines you have? If they just look nasty, get some used parts. Many of us stock the blue brake hose that links the pipes to the reservoir and the master cylinder. Me, for one, and GPR is another source.

The Cap'n
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 22 2011, 08:41 PM) *

What's wrong with the lines you have? If they just look nasty, get some used parts. Many of us stock the blue brake hose that links the pipes to the reservoir and the master cylinder. Me, for one, and GPR is another source.

The Cap'n

Hi Cap'n,

The old hard plastic lines were cracked brittle and not useable. The car is just back from paint and hasn't been driven in 25 years. I figured I could get the flex hose but the hard lines are where I stalled.

Thanks!
bdstone914
I have a few sets of good used lines that are still flexible, Let me know if you need them.
McMark
agree.gif go used....
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 22 2011, 10:02 PM) *

I have a few sets of good used lines that are still flexible, Let me know if you need them.

Hi Bruce,

You have once again solved my problem!

P/M on the way!

Cheers!
VaccaRabite
Attaching those hoses to the MC is the worst part of the entire front end brake job. A second set of hands sure makes it go easier. But maybe it's best to have the garage empty when you scream it blue. smile.gif

Zach
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 23 2011, 02:51 PM) *

Attaching those hoses to the MC is the worst part of the entire front end brake job. A second set of hands sure makes it go easier. But maybe it's best to have the garage empty when you scream it blue.

The trick is to remove the lines from the reservoir, then install the grommets into the MC while it's sitting on your workbench and you have all the leverage you need.

Then snake the hoses back up into place as you mount the MC, and reattach once the mechanical bit is done.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jun 23 2011, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 23 2011, 02:51 PM) *

Attaching those hoses to the MC is the worst part of the entire front end brake job. A second set of hands sure makes it go easier. But maybe it's best to have the garage empty when you scream it blue.

The trick is to remove the lines from the reservoir, then install the grommets into the MC while it's sitting on your workbench and you have all the leverage you need.

Then snake the hoses back up into place as you mount the MC, and reattach once the mechanical bit is done.

Nice tip - thanks! The front is empty right now - no gas tank installed yet - makes things easier. But just in case I will make sure the shop is empty in case I feel the need to scream!
Eric_Shea
Indeed, do as Uncle Rich suggests.

In the car = One of the worst jobs on a 914.
On the bench = One of the easiest jobs on a 914.

Tip: Get two rear firewall engine shelf fuel line grommets to run the lines back through the body. Same as the brake line gromets but, when you try to source the brake line grommets they show unavailable.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 23 2011, 05:07 PM) *

Indeed, do as Uncle Rich suggests.

In the car = One of the worst jobs on a 914.
On the bench = One of the easiest jobs on a 914.

Tip: Get two rear firewall engine shelf fuel line grommets to run the lines back through the body. Same as the brake line gromets but, when you try to source the brake line grommets they show unavailable.

Thanks Eric!

Like this........ sunglasses.gif

I thought it might work so I ordered some (6 of them) last week - glad to have confirmation of it - cheers!

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.