Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ROAD TRIP TIME
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
mueba.gif OK all,

I'm finally picking up the white car. It's getting a sideshifter this week. I'm flying to LA on Friday and picking it up. I'll be there for a week or so with work then I'm gonna drive it back to Indy.

I'm gonna take a tool kit with me,
what should it have with it?

My route is gonna be
LA I-10 East to I-15 North to I-70 East. Early in Colorado, I'm going south to go through Ouray and then I'll go back north and head east on Colorado 50? I think that's it. I'll take that to Pueblo and then cut across eastern Colorado up to I-70 and then home to Indy.

It usually takes me 2 or 3 days depending how I drive, I'll probably take my time and stretch it out to 4 days, but who knows.

I've done this trip in my Alfa, but nothing older than my 951.
Any hints on doing it in a teener?

Thanks!! mueba.gif
URY914
My advice would be to only use roads which go downhill.
Gravity can be your friend in a 914. cool_shades.gif

Good luck,
Paul
seanery
HAHA URY, Gravity saved my ass driving my 356 home the first time. I was cruising down the grapevine and all of a sudden I've got now power, oh, I've got no pedal....WEIRD...the engine is still running. I call my buddy Paul in front of me a mile or so with my little cheapo FRS radio. He pulls off the offramp and stops traffic and I coast down the mountain and into a gas station. A half hour later we're back on the road...the throttle linkage popped off! mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
seanery
Roughly here's the route:

Part 1:
Pasadena to Ouray
seanery
Part 2:
Ouray to Pueblo
seanery
Part 3:
Pueblo to Indy
Gint
Why the detour off I70? Very scenic, but you could have some snow or other weather issues. I'd stay on 70 and head straight through.

Wanna stop by my place? You could crash here even. I'm 9 miles north on I25 from I70 and then just 2 miles east of I25.
seanery
Ouray is one of those places that I try to stop whenever I do this trip, either east-west or west-east. My grandmother took all the kids and grandkids on a trip to Colorado when we were each 16. I fell in love with Ouray and try to go by and have a sandwich or whatever and take a couple pics.

My grandmother passed last August and we're trying to get the whole famdamily there for her birthday July 6 which is cool cause they do a cool July 4th thing there.

AND, I love the drive east on that little Colorado highway!

Thanks for the offer, you never know, I may need a place to stay ohmy.gif or a tool or two ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
rick 918-S
Cool route! I love road trips. I need to sell something so I can fly out west and drive something back. aktion035.gif driving.gif
Gint
I understand completely. Killer nice down there. I like to stay in Silverton at the old hotels.

Lemme know...
seanery
I'll be driving the car around LA for a week, so I should have a good feel for how it's gonna do. If I think there may be trouble I may alter my plan or start taking phone #'s and addresses!
Gint
I'll be here, grinding, sanding, cutting, etc............................
Bleyseng
Aren't you planning a layover in Vegas? Atleast one night... lots to do there.
Geoff
ChrisReale
Yea dude Vegas.
Ok, now to the topic. Make sure your spare tire is in good shape, as well as your jack. Wrenches in useful sizes, a torque wrench, alt. belt, wire (in case you need to re-do someting), extra oil, points and condensor. Id even bring a digital muli meter. Make sure your wipers work well, as well as your lights
seanery
No trip to Vegas!

I spent 10 days there earlier this year, I'm Vegased out for a while.
tryan
wolf creek pass is pretty cool. southern colorado not to far off your line.

4cyl?....a spare set of trigger points. just in case.
Jeffs9146
While in LA you should swing by my families restaurant for a drink! It is worth the detour!

Yamashiro Restaurant Hollywood

Jeff
seanery
I used to work in Hollywood. Never ate there(your family's restaurant), though.

Do they have parking, that part of town can be tough to park. Awfully touristy!!
Bleyseng
Hey cool site and restaurant! Music is kinda corny but what the hay....
Geoff
seanery
The garden area looks nice.

Maybe I'll stop by with my buddy and his wife.
brant
what dates will you be driving part 3...

you'll be passing through lamar, colorado....
where my 914's are and where my father lives.

brant
seanery
I'm not sure when I'm leaving LA.
I'm done with work on the 3rd of May, but I may stay and hangout and work on the race car for a couple days. I guess it depends when all of my friends get sick of me, or when I get sick of them. OR, more likely, when my sister gets sick of watching my dog!
brant
Seanery,

On part 3... in south east colorado...

If you run into any problems, my fathers house is available..
Also, I will be there (in lamar) on the weekend of 5/3-4, doing race car work.
And, on the weekend of 5/10-11 there is a local pca drivers education in LaJunta Raceway (also on hwy 50, about 50 miles west of Lamar) and I will be there instructing but without a car...

If either or anything is convient or useful... feel free.
brant
seanery
Brant,

Thanks for the offer.

I'll try to get on the BBS while in LA. I'll track the route at night.
And look for phone/address of those that could be in my next "break down" period.
Curvie Roadlover
When I did my X-country 914 trip last November, this was suggested to me (I didn't do it, but still not a bad idea): But a big complete Craftsman tool set at Sears when you get to LA. Take it along, so you'd be sure to have any tool you may need. If you don't use it by the time you get back to Indy, return it to Sears.
kdfoust
I don't usually haul much in the way of real tools (not like I'm gonna do a rebuild on the shoulder of the freeway or anything):

Wire ties, small, medium,large (sometimes referred to as "spare handcuffs").
Vise grips, small, medium, large
Duct tape - good duct tape by 3M, not that no-name no-stick stuff.
Bailing wire.
Tire plug kit.

Have fun,
Kevin
need4speed
I highly recommend the following detour:
Between Barstow and Vegas - take 40.
Right around Needles, there's a branch of "old 66" that heads through the desert, some abso-frickin-lutely beautiful twisties. There's a weird little mining town called Oatman, where the highway turns into their main street, and they have donkeys wandering around. It's a real trip. I take that leg to Arizona every time I can.
seanery
sounds good, i may do that one
Dave Cawdrey
That Yamashiro Feast sounds scrumptious clap56.gif
Do you deliver? laugh.gif
Jeffs9146
"Do they have parking, that part of town can be tough to park. Awfully touristy!!"

It has Valet parking and yes it is a touristy place. But the food and ambiance is exceptional! We have spent a lot of money bringing it up to world class status over the past 5 years.

Jeff

PS: sorry no delivery! lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.