Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling the Subagurus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FourBlades
I really like the subaru conversions being done here lately.

Got me wondering how hard it would be to adapt the subaru AC components to a 914.

I realize that new barrier hoses will be needed because of the length.

The ac console may not fit either.

Where does the AC compressor sit on the motor and would it fit in the 914 engine bay?

Thanks,

John
DBCooper
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jun 24 2011, 04:38 AM) *

I really like the subaru conversions being done here lately.

Got me wondering how hard it would be to adapt the subaru AC components to a 914.

I realize that new barrier hoses will be needed because of the length.

The ac console may not fit either.

Where does the AC compressor sit on the motor and would it fit in the 914 engine bay?

Thanks,

John

In the stock location the compressor sits right on top of the engine along side the alternator. Plenty of space and no problem with fit. I left mine ready for the compressor to be put back in, left space in front of the radiator, and have a 914 underdash AC unit. In theory with a dryer and a set of custom hoses it should all work together. I intend to put it in One of These Days, but haven't done it yet.

Alternatively with the stock compressor Classic Air in San Antonio has a "Hot Rod" system that looks pretty slick.
Tom_T
John & DB -

Unless you're getting the Subie AC essentially free to modify & install (& not even pick-a-part gives them away), and use caution with the aftermarket conversions which are usually worse butcher jobs than some of the less conscientious Porsche+Audi dealers did on the 914s back in the day & all too often never working properly (i.e.: the local AC shops & car modder shops).

Otherwise IMHO, you're better off getting the updated new R134 system (by same guy who designed the original DPD 914 AC) & install it, since it's all specifically designed & set-up for our 914s & is pretty much a bolt-in unit/system. I don't know if their available directly from the mfgr. &/or other suppliers/retails, but AA carries them in 2 flavors:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?Part...l_number=184681

http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?Part...l_number=184680

I think that when all is said & done, you'd spend more dough in mods, parts & the Subie or other Hot Rodder AC plus your extra time to modify everything - price your time at what the shop charges or what you could make working extra, or to pay a shop to do so - than the cost of these plus less time to install it. shades.gif

Hope my 2 cents & the links above are helpful. smile.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
charliew
THe 134a stuff needs a bigger condensor to work like the r12 did. A bigger condensor and new lines with a new drier might work with the 914 under dash unit if the temp control sw is still good along with the suby compressor. I agree that a vintage air hot rod in the dash unit might look better though and I also might go that route. If you are a diy guy thats the way it might be done but as tom says the big money way is easier for a beginner. My 914 underdash unit has a possibly bad temp control sw and it uses a wierd shaft that I can't find new so I will need to change both switches to get matching knobs I think. I really like the in the dash stuff hot rods have with nothing hanging under the dash. Also if you compare the new units for a super beetle they are very similiar but about 1/2 the price of AA's.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 24 2011, 12:34 PM) *

John & DB -

Unless you're getting the Subie AC essentially free to modify & install (& not even pick-a-part gives them away), and use caution with the aftermarket conversions which are usually worse butcher jobs than some of the less conscientious Porsche+Audi dealers did on the 914s back in the day & all too often never working properly (i.e.: the local AC shops & car modder shops).

Otherwise IMHO, you're better off getting the updated new R134 system (by same guy who designed the original DPD 914 AC) & install it, since it's all specifically designed & set-up for our 914s & is pretty much a bolt-in unit/system. I don't know if their available directly from the mfgr. &/or other suppliers/retails, but AA carries them in 2 flavors:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?Part...l_number=184681

http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?Part...l_number=184680

I think that when all is said & done, you'd spend more dough in mods, parts & the Subie or other Hot Rodder AC plus your extra time to modify everything - price your time at what the shop charges or what you could make working extra, or to pay a shop to do so - than the cost of these plus less time to install it. shades.gif

Hope my 2 cents & the links above are helpful. smile.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif

Thanks, Tom, appreciate the links but there are problems with that option. I'll never buy from from AutoAtlanta again, so it's a non-starter for me, but beyond that those AA prices are three times (!) the cost of a complete Vintage Air system (I called it "classic" air, my mistake, sorry). And we're talking Subaru's so we all already have a radiators in the front, meaning most of the AA kits wouldn't fit anyway. For a regular 914 that may be a good option (as long as you can deal with AA), but not so much on our cars.

It's actually simpler for us. We usually get the the compressors, pulleys and brackets along with the engine, so you don't even need the whole kit. With their mini-unit (the 914 cab isn't big) you just need an evaporator that fits the space in front of the radiator, a dryer and the underdash unit. All 134a. Since the radiator's already there the only complicated part is getting the custom hose lengths and running them. We already have cooling hoses in our cars too. I ran mine underneath my car, but since the A/C hoses don't get as hot as cooling hoses I intend to run them through the cab, so even that is pretty easy.

Pretty easy in theory, anyway. Like I said, I haven't done it yet.

willamp
Check out Gilmore Enterprises in Florida. They do complete systems for vintage VW's and have developed one for the 914. There's no info about the 914 one on their website so you would need to call. I spoke with them at a show and Ed mentioned that you do not need to cut the cernter console short. Their evaporator housing goes past it in front of it and continues with air outlets on the drivers side. I was told system cost was in the $1600 range, so lower than some others. Their system installs similar to the original dealer systems so it can be fit to cars that either did or did not have the original dealer systems. Uses a modern rotary compressor and r134.

I have no real experience with the system, just am keeping it in mind if I add air.

http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net

FourBlades

Thanks for all the info, that is helpful.

I forgot about the r134 switchover. That happened in 1996, right?

My idea was to buy a complete, wrecked subaru and use the engine and all the
air conditioning parts. Get new barrier hoses to deal with the front engine versus
mid engine issue.

So I would need to find a subaru model year after the r134 switch.

Gilmore enterprises also looks like a good bet.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.