Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Shifter Knob Graphic - Why the "Bump"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skaufmann
It's probably common knowledge to everyone except me. Searching didn't produce anything.

So, what's the purpose? To tell the driver they can shift from 1st to 3rd?

IPB Image
Mike Bellis
Spring loaded stop at that location.
skaufmann
Makes sense.

The funny thing is there's no way I would have figured that out with the condition of my shifting. The spring loaded plate doesn't engage till half-way to 4th/5th. I found out why (no the car hasn't been driven in 8 years... yet)

IPB Image
matteyp
is that the shifter console or at the back of the trans? If thats in the shifter console That peice should not be there
skaufmann
It's the ball cup bushing that the shifter sits in (tail shifter). It's just unrecognizably trashed.
injunmort
replaced that bushing last night, hope to have 1st and reverse now.
Tom_T
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 24 2011, 11:33 AM) *

Spring loaded stop at that location.

agree.gif
AKA "Reverse Lock" - but in this case it also "locks out" 1st. Put in there to guard against accidental downshifts into 1st or R, esp. when racing - form which this 901 shift pattern was derived (from Porsche race cars' transaxles). It means you have to push a bit harder to get into that gate..
SLITS
QUOTE(matteyp @ Jun 24 2011, 11:45 AM) *

is that the shifter console or at the back of the trans? If thats in the shifter console That peice should not be there

Tailshift has a cup up front too; sideshifter does not.
matteyp
Ohh I was wondering, that makes sense since mine doesn't have that cup up front.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.