Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: thinking of guying a 72
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
superdad88
Sorry it's supose to say thinking of buying a 72, wont let me go back and fit the title.

My uncle own's a pawn shop here in town and I was out there today visiting. We were putting things away in his wearhouse and I noticed a blue 914. I knew what it was because i have always liked the looks of them.

I asked him about it and he said the guy pawned it and made the monthly payments so he wouldnt loose it. Well he lost it. I asked my uncle what he wanted for it and he sid he would take what he had into it which was 1500.

I looked at the car but I know nothing about them. It is in great shape. No rust two dings one on each door but nothing bad. Interior is perfect. The only problem is now it wont start. He said he has been moving it around the wearhouse for the past 3 years and just last month it decided not to start.

Probly something simple because it will turn over but wont fire off. Not sure of the motor size. How do I find that? All i remeber seeing is a badge on the back that said 914. And it is all original.

My question is. are these older cars a money pit? I would love to have it to cruze around town and maybe do a few trips in it with the top off.

Thanks
Jason
SLITS
'72 will be a 1.7 unless a motor change was done. Will also be a tailshifter. Passenger seat will not likely be movable.

No more of a money pit than the rest of them.

Read up on where they rust .. or take someone with 914 experience with you to look at the car.

If starter doesn't turn, could be dead battery, bad ignition switch, yellow wire disconnected from solenoid, etc .. etc

Get a camera and take pics ... post 'em and let us tear it apart. biggrin.gif
superdad88
It will turn over just wont start. Is a 72 a desiarable year to have? I was planning on going out their tomorrow and will roll it out of the garage and snap a bunch of pics.

I did look around at the places I figured older cars like to rust and didnt see anything.

Also whats a tailshifter?
jmill
You can change the title if you edit your first post.
SLITS
Tailshifter ... Porsche's answer to "I wish I knew what gear I was in". Shift mechanism is at the end of the transmission.

Look below the battery tray ... called the "Hell Hole" .... look at the rear edge of the rear trunk and corners ..... you would have to pull rockers to check the jack posts ... others might chime in with other areas.

If it won't start, does it have gas?
Fuel pump could have gone out.
With key on, you should hear fuel pump run for about 2 seconds.

Check for spark
superdad88
Thanks for the info so far. I will stop out there tomorrow and take a better look.
Cairo94507
Take your camera and shoot a bunch of pictures and post them. Make sure to take pictures of the underneath of the car too. Shoot the door jambs trunk and hood jambs, stuck the camera in under the battery and point it in all directions and take some pictures. Engine and interior pictures too. Note the VIN number, should be a metal plate along the drivers side windshield post.

You may have come across a nice deal if you are really interested in having a 914.

Good luck and we are all popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 24 2011, 08:03 PM) *

Tailshifter ... Porsche's answer to "I wish I knew what gear I was in".

Porsche's answer to "how do we teach people how to feel each gear before they shift"

Rich
championgt1
There is rust. You just have to find it!
barada
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jun 24 2011, 11:41 PM) *

There is rust. You just have to find it!

Yep
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.