Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to 914 World
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Bryan
Howdy! New to the 914 scene and am very excited about being part of this community!

I found a very nice 74 2.0 914 that was stored in an airplane hanger. I actually was looking at a motorcycle and saw this in the corner. The deal was made and the tow truck hauled it away. Varnish in the tank, fuel pump non-operational, and typical decay from sitting for over 10 years.

Pulled the tank and dumped the old fuel, ran new fuel lines, changed out oil/filter, had the original fuel pump rebuilt, popped in a new battery and she lit right up!! Drove it around the block, put new tires on her and off I went. Drove it 60 easy highway miles. Can't believe there were no real glitches as far as the motor goes.

And here we go! Not used to the sloppy shifter!! Is this normal? At first, shifted fine, but as the miles racked up, couldn't find first without grinding. Second and third, no problem, but fourth, couldnt find it. Fifth could be found if I swung the shifter back across the pattern to first then dumped it in fifth.

Where do I start? at the shifter or the transmission? The shifter just feels as loose as a goose. Any ideas or directions appreciated!!!

914Bryan
914junkie
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif welcome.png Congratulations! Sounds like a nice find. biggrin.gif
rktmn247
welcome.png A 74! Nice! That would be a side shifter tranny. My 72 has a side shifter also and I think it shifts great. Most likely an easy fix, maybe bushings and adjustment. Lots of threads about that here. Your in the right place!
saigon71
welcome.png

Sounds like a great find!

On the shifting issues, I would start with the shifter bushings.

You have come to the right place. Lots of helpful people and knowledge on this site.

computers4kids
welcome.png Nice find, I'll give you 1k for it. biggrin.gif Just sounds like the bushings. Go to pelican.com and you'll find what you need. There is a bushing at the firewall and one inside the plastic cover at the tail of the transmission. The bushings probably were brittle and began breaking-up once you started to drive it around.
Mark
Dr Evil
Look below in the 31 pages link in my sig for adjustment and trouble shooting details regarding the shifting/transmission.

Short answer, it should not shift poorly. Good bushings, set screws, and a gear box in good shape shift wonderfully smile.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 25 2011, 05:21 AM) *

Short answer, it should not shift poorly. Good bushings, set screws, and a gear box in good shape shift wonderfully smile.gif

How about a shift diagnose video? You could probably sell a ton of bushings.
EdwardBlume
Oh and.... welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
Gustl
welcome.png ... from far, far wawy biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
The original bushings are plastic. They break down over time. There are bronze bushings available cheap. They are much better than plastic.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

welcome.png
Strudelwagon
welcome.png
Can't wait to see some pics
Dr Evil
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 25 2011, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 25 2011, 05:21 AM) *

How about a shift diagnose video? You could probably sell a ton of bushings.

I already covered it in writing. I can't see a video working well confused24.gif
johannes
Welcome from far away too ...

welcome.png
Lennies914
welcome.png

Let's see some pics!
Tom_T
At this point in time you'll definitely will want to get a full set of shifter bushings & change them out, and also check that the engine & transaxle mounts are still solid & not giving you movement in the drivetrain as you shift.

If you're wanting to do most of the maintenance/rebuilds yourself & the transmission issues aren't solved by the above, then get Dr. Evil's DVD on rebuilding them, or you can ship it back to him in the Pittsburgh PA area or catch the nearest next Tranny clinic.

If you get stuck on mechanical stuff here in OC & want to stay closer, try Bill Brewster in San Clemente who works on my buddy's 71 914/4.

welcome.png ... and treat us all to some px of your new acquisition! shades.gif

PS - also add your 914 to the VIN registry by adding it at your "My Controls" panel, even if the prior had it listed, as it helps track the ownership. TIA
poorsche914
"very nice 74 2.0 914"

And as we wait for pictures and VIN, could it be a Can Am? idea.gif

popcorn[1].gif
914Bryan
Click to view attachment here it is after a long wash and polish!!
dion9146
Very nice looking 914!
tod914
Looks real nice.
Spoke
welcome.png

About the trans, did you change the oil in it? Check the clutch adjustment. If you don't have a repair manual, buy or borrow one.
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Jun 26 2011, 05:07 AM) *

drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
Nice find welcome.png
ripper911
Someone removed your tits.

Looks nice! Is that bahia red?
eric9144
Very nice Bryan!! (post more pics)

Maybe you'll have to join us for one of our Dawn Patrol runs in the future...we're generally scaring other drivers and pedestrians in the Temecula/North San Diego area's but it's not too far from the OC and it's always a good time.
Chris Pincetich
Score! beerchug.gif
Upgrades for the 914 shifter and mechanism can be found at JWest Engineering.
Just refreshing the stock bushings will be a huge improvement.
Nobody mentioned transaxle mounts. Lots of them are broken after 30+ years, which will make all that rear-end shifting sloppy. You can't really tell if the "structural rubber" in the mounts is cracked unless you remove them (easy w transaxle supported).
I have the WEVO mounts, but I am a sucker for racy parts!
Have fun!
welcome.png
914Bryan
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jun 27 2011, 12:32 PM) *

Very nice Bryan!! (post more pics)

Maybe you'll have to join us for one of our Dawn Patrol runs in the future...we're generally scaring other drivers and pedestrians in the Temecula/North San Diego area's but it's not too far from the OC and it's always a good time.

I am interested in the Dawn Patrol and followed your last thread; it looks like a lot of fun! The way I look at it is that is to join you, I will HAVE to drive Ortega Highway over the mountain to get to the jump off point biggrin.gif Be sure to post your next outing and I would like to join the group. Thanks!

Bryan

rick 918-S
Nice find! drooley.gif welcome.png
computers4kids

Bryan, that looks just like a 74 that I owned and sold a couple years ago to Barret Jackson back east. What is the VIN or some more pics. Looks exactly like the bahia red I had painted it-Single stage buffed and polished. The fuchs are real and painted like the fake ones?
Mark

I had changed to chrome bumpers before I had sold it.
IPB Image
SirAndy
here it is after a long wash and polish!!

Your drivers side turn signal lens is upside down. shades.gif

Looks like a nice car! bye1.gif
914Bryan
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 29 2011, 09:17 AM) *

here it is after a long wash and polish!!

Your drivers side turn signal lens is upside down. shades.gif

Looks like a nice car! bye1.gif

WOW! You have an amazing eye to catch that in a pic!!! Funny thing, I am chasing down a short in that very light that keeps popping a fuse every time I turn on the headlights..Turn signal works, but the short is in the running light wire (I guess).
914Bryan
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 29 2011, 07:27 AM) *

Bryan, that looks just like a 74 that I owned and sold a couple years ago to Barret Jackson back east. What is the VIN or some more pics. Looks exactly like the bahia red I had painted it-Single stage buffed and polished. The fuchs are real and painted like the fake ones?
Mark

I had changed to chrome bumpers before I had sold it.
IPB Image

It might be similiar, but this has been in a airplane hangar for years, so I doubt it was in a Barret Jackson event. I dont know if they are real Fuchs or not; I am just learning the 914 World and am a complete novice. How would I be able to tell if they are originals?

I do know this, I want to change the bumpers out to the early chrome ones. Anyone know of a supplier? I hate dealing with Craigslist crap.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.