Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTF is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
Never seen one like this... what, if you can't hammer it off, cut it? Am I going to need a new spindle?

I just wanted to change a set of wheel bearings (I couldn't tighten the slop out of the wheel) and this is what I found....

java script:emoticon(':WTF:', 'smid_8')

Click to view attachment
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(porscheless @ Jun 26 2011, 09:51 AM) *

Never seen one like this... what, if you can't hammer it off, cut it? Am I going to need a new spindle?

I just wanted to change a set of wheel bearings (I couldn't tighten the slop out of the wheel) and this is what I found....

java script:emoticon(':WTF:', 'smid_8')

Click to view attachment

That is a great example of a DAPO sawzall-smiley.gif and a quick release spindle. Lucky you found it in time.....bet your going to check the other side now!
Thanks for the wake up call on old cars owned by many people.
Porschef
Incredible. The cut measures out at .189 max depth.

"Gee, I don't know what happened! All I did was turn to the right and the wheel fell off!"

Time to look for a used strut....
70_914
Siezed bearing race + owner with a cutoff wheel and too much beer = this.

Porschef
Sheesh, and I thought plumbers were dangerous with Sawzalls....
ArtechnikA
what side?
I'm pretty sure I have an orphan 914/4 strut.
Yours if it'll help you.
jk76.914
I'll make the same offer. I have the front struts from my '76. They have good rubber bushings at the top, but the shock inserts are shot. Coincidentally, I'll be on Long Island on July 5-7 and I can meet you somewhere and hand them over. That is, if the driver side is off in time. The passenger side is off now. Hopefully, I'll have the other one off by then. Let me know.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.