Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel injection not spraying
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
big wil
i am trying to restore my 1973 914. it has the fuel injected 2.0. i have changed the distributor for an ignition problem that i was having and now i am not getting fuel. any ideas?
Dave_Darling
Forget to plug in the FI trigger points?

--DD
big wil
they are plugged in... i plug the noid test light in to the injectors and get nothing
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(big wil @ Jun 26 2011, 02:32 PM) *

they are plugged in... i plug the noid test light in to the injectors and get nothing

I recently had the same thing happen on a pair of injectors and the cause was the ground for that pair had come off. - its at the rearcenter of engine compartment- should be white.
big wil
there is a wire that is toward the center rear of the engine but it is red i will definitely try and see if that is the problem. any idea where it connects too? it is not very long...
Spoke
Easy way to check trigger points, fuel pump, and injector operation:

Disconnect +12V from the coil.

Remove the dizzy; connect only the trigger points.

Turn the ignition to ON.

Manually spin the dizzy. If the trigger points are working the following will happen:

1) the fuel pump will run; you should be able to hear it.
2) the injectors will fire; you should be able to hear the clicks.

Don't do it too much as the injectors will be injecting fuel with the engine not running.
Dave_Darling
The red wire is likely out the bottom of the Auxiliary Air Regulator. It would be plugged in to the circuit that runs the pump. One of the white wires with a plastic box connector on the end is where it plugs in.

The AAR is not necessary to start the car. Make sure it isn't internally shorted (resistance between the red wire and the cannister should be about 13 ohms, definitely not zero!) before you plug it in, though.

Let's see. The ground connection is at the back of the motor; you usually have to move stuff out of the way and look around all of the intake stuff to see it.

The MPS also needs to be plugged in, or you won't get any injection pulses.

--DD
Hammy
agree.gif

Check your engine case grounds, and make sure your MPS is plugged in.
Also, what's the condition of your engine wiring harness? Any brittle/cracked/broken wires leading to the trigger points?
big wil
QUOTE(Hammy @ Jun 28 2011, 12:24 AM) *

agree.gif

Check your engine case grounds, and make sure your MPS is plugged in.
Also, what's the condition of your engine wiring harness? Any brittle/cracked/broken wires leading to the trigger points?

the harness looks good towards the trigger points but towards the rear fire wall at the back of the engine is a wad of wires that come together that are skinned up and some that are bare. i am starting to think about a webber conversion. the conversion price is comparable to the price of a replacement harness.
swl
you need to deal with them whether you have fuel injection or webers.

Spoke - brilliant!
big wil

agree.gif
Hammy
Fix the bare wires. I'd definitely reconsider the Weber swap idea. Many here will tell you the same; the stock FI (when functioning properly) definitely wins in the overall drivability department. You'll probably have less power too, if the engine is stock. And the Webers and carb linkage will require constant adjustment...........
big wil
QUOTE(Hammy @ Jun 28 2011, 08:54 PM) *

Fix the bare wires. I'd definitely reconsider the Weber swap idea. Many here will tell you the same; the stock FI (when functioning properly) definitely wins in the overall drivability department. You'll probably have less power too, if the engine is stock. And the Webers and carb linkage will require constant adjustment...........

i would really like to keep the car all original as much as possible, the webber swap is just an idea i am keep around as a "last resort" option
Mike Bellis
Put a 9 volt battery to the injector. You should hear the injector click. If so, check the trigger points. Most likely where your problem is. yes fix the bare wires with some shrink tube and see if you can get it to fire.
big wil
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 28 2011, 10:59 PM) *

Put a 9 volt battery to the injector. You should hear the injector click. If so, check the trigger points. Most likely where your problem is. yes fix the bare wires with some shrink tube and see if you can get it to fire.

i like that idea i will try it and see what i come up with
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.