Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 12 volt source for cooler fan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonr
Just installed a fan equipped oil cooler. I need to power the fan with an ignition switched 12 volt power source. Where is the best place to do that? Thanks for the help. Im hopefully looking forward to cooler temps
Mike Bellis
add a relay powered from the battery and use the coil + to switch it on/off.
simonr
I just want to find a wire to patch into
Cap'n Krusty
Like somebody already said, hot from the battery to a relay, trigger from the coil. Ground it through the thermoswitch you installed in the oil line so the cooler only runs when you need it. Don't want to EVER overcool the oil.

The Cap'n
Series9
First, where is the cooler installed? How about a picture?

Second, is there an oil thermostat installed?
yeahmag
My fan is low enough amps that I tied in to the fuel pump with a thermostat inline to trigger it.

Like this: http://www.etrailer.com/Radiator-Fans/Derale/D35022.html
Mike Bellis
There is no circuit on a 914 that can handle the extra load from a fan. I'm assuming your fan draws 5 amps or more. Install a relay and be done.
simonr
Relay it is !!
simonr
what is the type of relay I should use. Im new to relays
Mike Bellis
Here is a great relay book/pdf. download it and save it!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/500-001.pdf
simonr
I got everything wired up but only can find a 12v 30 amp relay . the thermoswitch says it has a 15 amp max continuous. can I still use this relay. It seems all the relays a 30 amp I cant find a 15 anywhere
Jeffs9146
Thats MAX amps it will work fine as long as the source is properly fused!
Cap'n Krusty
That's "capacity", meaning you can us "up to" 12V-30A pretty safely. I use 40A for most applications, cause they're readily available from Bosch and other VW/Audi and Porsche parts suppliers.

The Cap'n
ArtechnikA
I bought one of these: ThermoSwitch Relay for a non-Porsche application.

The thermoswitch is adjustable, the relay is 40A, it has output leads for two fans, and includes the remote thermo sensor. Price is right.

It also includes an 'override' lead that's traditionally wired to an AC clutch but can be used for anything you like.
iamchappy
I ran my oil cooler thermostat from unswitched relayed power, that way it will run on after the car is turned off until it is cooled, usually only takes a minute or so.
SLITS
agree.gif

I run mine thru a thermostat controlled, fused switch directly from the battery.
Drums66
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 29 2011, 07:18 PM) *

agree.gif

I run mine thru a thermostat controlled, fused switch directly from the battery.

idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.