Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need to find my Dads old car....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Yesterday, my Dad started talking about a 73' he had around the time I was born. It was kinda weird actually, because he doesn't talk much about any one car in particular, so for him to bring it up, I know he misses it.

Car was apparently a black 73' with early chrome bumpers (no tits), deep 6 Fuchs, and a big type IV engine, like 2.2 or 2.4 with 48 Webers and and a performance clutch.

Apparently, he had to sell it to help pay for our first house (I was 2 or 3 at the time and would have completely objected had I known) when we moved from San Pedro (LA area) to San Diego in the late 80's early 90's. He said some Japanese guy in Gardena basically stalked him for a year asking over and over again if he would sell it, and eventually, he had to and ended up trading the guy for his 914 plus cash.

Anyone have any idea about this car or how I could find it after 20 years? Anyone ever had a situation like this?
MoveQik
A VIN would be a great start if he has it anywhere. Good luck!
mepstein
Can you get info from the DMV?
Does your father keep old paperwork in a file?

He might not think about it if he built up the orange car biggrin.gif

When are we going to talk about an east coast Drive Skills?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 29 2011, 08:22 AM) *

One would assume that with all the parts my Dad has stashed over the years for a 'just in case' scenario, that he is a meticulous organizer..... He is not.

Ever seen an episode of that show 'Hoarders'?

I'm hoping I can look it up through the DMV, but my objective is to keep it secret. I did ask him about a VIN, but no luck there.
RiqueMar

Wait a second..... Mark! Who let you outta the garage?!

Get back in there and get to work on your 3.2! poke.gif smash.gif welder.gif slap.gif
Tom_T
Rique,

Your Dad's old records for bank loans, etc. may have the VIN - if he has any of that stashed in boxes in the recesses of the attic or garage (us old guys do that, then forget about due to our half-zymers doncha know biggrin.gif ).

If you can find the VIN, then go to AAA & they can probably do a look up on the system to see if it's still registered & maybe in which town, but may not give you the owner's name due to privacy concerns. If you're not a member, send me a PM or email & I'll call for you to see what I can find.

If it's in the system still, then DMW also has an info request form pdf at their website where you can send in the VIN & a small fee to get info, then they send to the POs & current owner to get a release to send out the info.

Then maybe your Dad could start stalking that guy again!!?? biggrin.gif

shades.gif ... hey, that's my old 914! ...... driving.gif ... come baaaack! blink.gif
lol-2.gif
r_towle
yup, you are gonna need to find the VIN
mepstein
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jun 29 2011, 11:45 AM) *

Wait a second..... Mark! Who let you outta the garage?!

Get back in there and get to work on your 3.2! poke.gif smash.gif welder.gif slap.gif

Work on cars? You must have me confused with someone else. I clean up parts, make them look pretty and drive them to Scotty B.
RiqueMar
Ok guys, small update. I've been looking for history on this car and I'm going through every document we have. I'm combing 3 buildings, 2 houses and 4 business to find anything that will lead me to this car, no luck yet.

However, my Dad did stumble on this yesterday, which only motivates me that much more. It's picture of me in said car when I was probably less than a year old. Man, I didn't even have a chance at liking another car, I swear I was setup from the beginning!

IPB Image
Drums66
......I need to find my dad's ole' car(model T) poke.gif
bye1.gif
ewdysar
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jul 21 2011, 10:36 AM) *

......I need to find my dad's ole' car(model T) poke.gif
bye1.gif

Me too. Wait a minute, it's in the enclosed trailer in the driveway... biggrin.gif

I'm in the process of recreating the title (Dad appears to have misplaced the paperwork at some point since the Model T was last registered in 1967). I just got the car back from Loco Larry at the Tin Shed, where he installed Rocky mountain brakes (got to have better brakes rolleyes.gif ), a new fuel tank and an electric starter (not a stock item until 1919). Now I'm going through the front end to reduce the "low speed shimmy", a wild ocillation of the front wheels at close to 9mph. It's weird how many reproduction parts are available for these cars, they're much easier to get parts for than a 914.
jim_hoyland
I've been trying to locate my -6 as well, lost all VIN info and haven't gotten anywhere. You might try the insurance company if your dad uses the same one today.
NJ914Guy
Since he doesn't have the VIN, buy a '73, paint it black, put some 48 Webers on it and a big red bow biggrin.gif

Just joking, hope you can find her beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.