Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Part washer solutions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
Just like the title suggests, what cleaner do you use in your parts washers? Engine is out so time to do some spring(summer) cleaning! smile.gif
JRust
Just drop all your crap off at some place & write a check like always poke.gif

happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif Luv yah man av-943.gif
wingnut86
...if you can afford enough of this stuff to make it feasible, PB Blaster (no affiliation/free marketing dry.gif ) works great.

I have a half gallon that has been used repeatedly on old engine parts, brake parts and bits'n'pieces for going on 2 years beer.gif

I left 2 half-shafts with CVs soaking for 3 weeks once - just the last 4 inches or so.

I was shocked at how nice the results were when removed - sorry, didn't think of taking pictures confused24.gif

Note: Visibility of all the nooks and crannies revealed why the PO had discarded as no good. Axles were saved though smile.gif

Good Luck...
r_towle
get a parts washer tank at Harbor frieght.
Use kerosene....it works great.

Rich
underthetire
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 29 2011, 09:23 AM) *

Rich

agree.gif
It can smell a bit though.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 29 2011, 11:11 AM) *

Rich

agree.gif

Smells better than PB!!! barf.gif
914werke
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 29 2011, 11:11 AM) *

Rich

agree.gif

& have you priced Kerosene lately its FREAKIN expensive.
PeeGreen 914
I always take my parts to the shop when I need to clean. It is called a CUDA parts washer. It is like a big diswasher that uses a detergent that doesn't smell bad at all.

http://www.cudausa.com/Top-Load-Parts-Washers.aspx
Dr Evil
I am using kero, but wish to change to something else. Others mentioned Purple Power or some such stuff works real well.
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 29 2011, 03:43 PM) *

I am using kero, but wish to change to something else. Others mentioned Purple Power or some such stuff works real well.

hmmm,
It cleans very well, but you really need to wear gloves.
It does some funky things to your skin and will get in via your pores....I know.

I put a 356 case in a large plastic box and covered it in that stuff.
It was shiny when I took it out.
I fell in love...then started to use that more and more....till it wrecked my hands and more.

I went back to kerosene.....it always works, and it does not rot out metal containers...or hurt parts if left in to long (when life takes over)

You can leave a part in kerosene for a long time...its fine.
With Purple power you need to pay attention...

Rich
dion9146
I learned the hard way (as others have) that Simple Green is a great way to ruin your washer pump, strip paint off of the inside of the washer, and generally ruin a set of 911T heads if left sitting in the solution. Use with extreme caution, and I would not recommend it as a parts washer solution.

Ever since that episode, my parts washer tank has acted as a dry storage bin for used paint brushes and scrapers. smile.gif

Dion
MoveQik
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 29 2011, 09:15 AM) *

Just drop all your crap off at some place & write a check like always poke.gif

happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif Luv yah man av-943.gif

Verrrrrry funny LE Boy! I wish I had wrote somebody a check to pull this damn motor! 113-115 degrees on the days I was doing it.
MoveQik
So kerosene in a well ventilated area sound like the popular choice. I'll look into it.

Thanks guys.
JRust
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 29 2011, 02:06 PM) *

Verrrrrry funny LE Boy! I wish I had wrote somebody a check to pull this damn motor! 113-115 degrees on the days I was doing it.

I did find it pretty dang funny! The parts cleaner is a very good idea though. Been thinking about grabbing one at HF for a while. Yeah I am glad I don't have to deal with that heat. The 80 degrees we had at WCR was perfect
rfuerst911sc
How about paint thinner/mineral spirits ?
stugray
Industrial Purple works great.
You can get it at HD for ~$35 per 5 gallons.

You are supposed to thin it with water but I use it straight up & it works great even with the parts washer pump.
It will remove paint from steel surfaces and you should not use it on aluminum.

dont get it on your hands. you cannot wash it off easily and sucks ALL the moisture from your skin.

For carb parts I use an ultrasonic parts cleaner and denatured alcohol.

Stu
PlaysWithCars
Diesel fuel works pretty well too and is an alternative to Kerosene.
TheCabinetmaker
I use nothing but odorless mineral spirits.
Kirmizi
Sell the parts washer and rent Ferg FERG.gif
Mike
cary
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 30 2011, 04:29 AM) *

I use nothing but odorless mineral spirits.

Ditto. Have been using it in my HF parts washer for about 10 years
MoveQik
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Jun 30 2011, 04:46 AM) *

Sell the parts washer and rent Ferg FERG.gif
Mike

This is perhaps the best suggestion yet.
Prospectfarms
Parts washing solutions:

1. NAPA carburetor cleaner solvent in 1 gallon can with a parts basket. Reusable.

2. Diesel fuel -- excellent for grease, readily available, smells bad.

3. Solvent like WD 40. PB blaster is pretty strong.

4. Detergent based cleaners: Purple power, etc. All contain a strong base and is therefore caustic. Will etch aluminum. OK for steel.

5. Caustic Soda: oven cleaner, drano, sodium hydroxide in solution. Same problems as the detergent cleaners but cheaper. I use it for really old, really greasy steel or iron parts, such as old heat exchanger parts. Treat it like acid.

6. Electrolysis. Electric cleaning in a brine solution with a tank and a battery charger is easy and effective for corroded delicate or threaded parts. Again not suitable for aluminum/alloy parts.

When using a detergent cleaner, be sure to break the surface tension of the residual product be alternating hot/cold water, vinegar water, or scrubbing while you rinse.

brant
surprised no one has spoken up
the best and oldest solution is a naptha based solvent.

go to a petroleum distributor or an old time gas station that sells kerosene and things out of above ground tanks behind their station

ask for "solvent" or naptha

its what parts cleaners were designed to use
it still smells, but not as bad as kerosene
it is less flamable (but still best to treat it safely)
and its what parts washers were designed to use before the enviromental concerns pushed towards water based cleaners.....

geezeee... ask an old guy when you need something answered. lol
John
I like to use :

Stoddard Solvent

Super Agitine (from Grainger used in my parts washer)

Castrol SuperClean (use caution with aluminum)

Purple Power (again use caution with aluminum)

I also use an old discarded dish washer, but have yet to find an aluminum safe detergent so I only use plain water.

If anyone knows of an aluminum safe dishwasher detergent, please let me know.

burton73
Super Agitine (from Grainger used in my parts washer)

This is the stuff that I use in my HF washer and it works great. In California you can not get everything because of the air quality people but the Super Agitine (from Grainger) does the job on grease and does not kill your hands right away. 10 hours with no gloves will dry them out. I still like to use thin cheep gloves that I trash after each use. This stuff is around $80 per 5 gallon with tax. I use a 30-gallon tank. One will be all you need to just get it to work.

Bob B

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.