Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-paint Targa Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LotusJoe
I saw a post where someone had repainted their Targa. I've searched but am unable to find the thread. I think it was a plastic type product, maybe Colorbond?? They had done it several years ago and the top still looked pretty good. Mine is in pretty rough shape and need of some attention. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Joe
PeeGreen 914
I use SEM's Landau Black in the rattle can. Looks very close to the original color and it easy to touch up if you need. beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
First: get it really clean and make sure all the silicones have been removed. I washed mine with Simple Green 2x then wiped it down with MEK which is sold at Home Depots.

Second: my top was is reasonable good condition, so I took 000 steel wool to lightly scratch it; this may not be necessary, but it was recommended

Third: Bought a small can of Interlux bootstrip paint at local marine store and rolled the paint on with a foam roller. Let dry then rolled a second coat. The marine paints are self-leveling and leave a remarkable finish.

That's what I did--I've seen a lot of other tops done in different ways and they all seem to come out good.
Joe Owensby
I had to repair a hole in mine from a fallen tree branch. After replacing the fiberglass and smoothing out the top, I needed to match the grain look. I just sanded the entire top, which is a good thing so that there is a fresh surface. I then used a paint roller to roll on some trunk liner stuff from advance auto. I then applied a final spray coating of the proper color of black. It looks great, and you would be hard pressed to tell from the factory top. It has been about 3 years since this, and it still looks goodl Joeo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.