Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: body work question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I am new at doing body work. My question is: do you wet sand before the initial primer?
914.SBC
I am no paint expert but I have done two cars and never wet sanded. I never even thought to do that. Wet sand after primer before paint and color sand after paint then clear coat.
914itis
QUOTE(914.SBC @ Jun 30 2011, 03:08 PM) *

I am no paint expert but I have done two cars and never wet sanded. I never even thought to do that. Wet sand after primer before paint and color sand after paint then clear coat.

Thanks for the info.good enough.
Andyrew
Primer Epoxy? No.

Sand down with 80 grit, sand (if possible) to 180+ prior to spraying primer epoxy (an etching primer used to get a good adhesion base layer to start bodywork on.

Dont put water on the car until you are wet sanding the paint. (Unless your sanding primer sealer down to say 600 for a metalic color)

scotty b
Dry sand until the final coat or two of primer/sealer depending on how nice you want the job to be. Wet sand the final coat of primer to 600. You can get away with 400 especially on a solid color, or on single stage paint, but 600 is best. When you go to wet sand the clear or final coat of single stage ( only on soild colors ) start with nothing harsher than 1500 if this is your first time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.