Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: good deal? VW bus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
What are these worth?
IS this a decent price?

VW Bus on Ebay

I could see using one of these and getting rid of the damn rover!
echocanyons
dont plan on going to fast over 65mph

very cool lookin though
seanery
MDB2.gif Fast is why we have Porsche's!

It looks cool, but I know nothing about them, at all.
It could really be cool.

If I found a good clean arizona/ca car that had no rust, can I
get it rustproofed and drive it in the winter in Indy?
Do they do ok in the snow?
I bet the heat sucks, right?

I know there are v dub geeks out there! Fill me in on the info!

thanks
MDB2.gif
Chris H.
Sean you should really drive one of those before you buy one. It's definitely an experience you either love or hate. You could test-drive one when you are out in LA! I'm sure there are a few for sale there.

As for rust, the older VWs are just as bad or worse for that (ask me how I know!). You'd want to do a full POR-15 treatment on the undercarriage. They drive OK in the winter, and yes the heat sucks. You can get an aftermarket blower heater cheap I'm sure.

Having said that, it's a cool concept! Keep us posted!

Chris
Ferg
I had a 78 camper two summers ago. It had the latter type 4 engine with decent power, but they are very light up front in the snow. Trying to stop fast on snow is an experience unsure.gif . Also, my bus that started out very nice, a AZ bus, with no rust, looked like hell after one Colorado winter. And we don't use salt!!! You will be shocked how fast rust grows, or at least I was... I drove a split window once, not very comfy, and for daily driving I would go with a latter bay window for sure. Ferg.
Mike D.
Right now is a great price for a bus in that condition, $4300. Two days left though, the price will probably double.

I had a '74 camper van when I was a freshman in college. It was awsome, the "partymobile". beer.gif Ice box for beer, sink for puke...barf.gif 19 years old and crusin around with my own bed. Good thing I rarely had to pick up girls at their parents house.

Had a 2.0 T4, red and off white, pop top, and get this, a big yellow smilly face tire cover for the front mounted spare. I drove that thing all over Texas and then to California before it totaly died. I've always wanted another one. Camper that is...

Memories.... rolleyes.gif

Mike D.
Mark Henry
Yep cool. I'm restoring a 67 camper for family fun.

Rust can attack them just like 914's but they won't snap in half. Same layout as a 911. You check the floor, rockers and front for rust. They have a beetle engine, total baby brother to the 4 cyl. 914 engine, easy to work on. Trans is a swing axel with 1.1:1 reduction boxes (if stock) adds tourque and rpm's. Check trans for popping out of gear, including reverse. Will leak oil in exact same spots as a teen. 3/4 ton load rating and it will tow a trailer good. Anything over 65mph and the engine gets buzzy and hot. Heat sucks, some people block off and heat only the cab in the winter. Restoration of a crusty one would cost almost as much as a teen, same pitfalls.

Overall if you can do a good PPI on a 914, the bus should be no problem. If you treat it right it will go and last forever.
If you have more ? ask or you can email me.
beer.gif

Sorry, I don't agree with Ferg on the driving comfort bit, I'd much rather have a splitty. He must of drove a dog.
SirAndy
i had one of those too (when i was young). i had a 2.0L engine in it. moved pretty good rolleyes.gif

heat in the winter sucks big time. i went and bought a gasoline heater (with a timer). that baby would heat the whole bus in 5 minutes ... it was actually a VW option for the bus back then.

Andy
Mark Henry
That bus has a trans problem and something wrong with the brakes.
It should shift smooth up and down. The brakes should not be that bad, not a sports car for sure, but no different from any old truck, I bet the rubber hoses are bad.
Look out for bondo in the nose.
Chris H.
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 21 2003, 11:18 AM)

i went and bought a gasoline heater (with a timer). that baby would heat the whole bus in 5 minutes ... it was actually a VW option for the bus back then.

Shit yeah I remember those. I had one in my '64 bug. You went from -10 to +90 in about a minute and a half!
Mike T
The early Bus's were s-l-o-w. Partially because of the real low gearing. This one has a 1641cc engine which means it has 87mm slip in pistons and cylinders. In my opinion unsuitable for a VW Bus. The walls of the cylinders are very thin and distort with heat and time. Bus engines are stressed a bit more than Bug engines because of the weight. Should be pretty peppy while it lasts. That is if the guy has the 2bbl progressive carb I see there tuned right.

The cooling shroud is an aftermarket item made for it's go-fast kewlness and not good air distribution characteristics. I would rather see a stock factory shroud on it and sealed up properly with all the factory shields and seals in place.

Sounds like stock brakes which equal terrible stopping distances and fade resistance. There are aftermarket disc kits available but for that price I would hope it had them already.

Nice looking Bus though. If you could get it for a good price and didn't mind correcting a few mechanical items it would be a neat driver.

Mike T
my15window
I love mine,It feels like flying an airplane, 2" between your knees and the car in front of you, it's a trip ,that's a combi try to get a deluxe those are a better investment they are going through the roof though the jap's love them Bought a double door for 1800$ took it to pomona and japs paid 5800$ my 15 windows worth about 15,000 now
URY914
I had a '67 Deluxe and it was a blast. Sometimes I wish I still had it. But not for an everyday car. I've seen one get t-boned in front of me and the driver nearly killed. (I held his head until EMS got there, not a good day)

There are several websites, www.samba.com and www.vintagebus.com which is run by "widebody" on the PP 911 board.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(my15window @ Apr 21 2003, 03:09 PM)
I love mine,It feels like flying an airplane, 2" between your knees and the car in front of you, it's a trip ,that's a combi try to get a deluxe those are a better investment they are going through the roof though the jap's love them Bought a double door for 1800$ took it to pomona and japs paid 5800$ my 15 windows worth about 15,000 now

Yes, the Japanese do love the bus.
I sold a 61 kombi to guy in LA last year. He shipped it straight to Japan. All this guy ever saw was pictures.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.