Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has bought the inner rocker from AA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obscurity
I am curious whether it comes with a zinc coating, just red shop primer, or raw steel

John
reharvey
Never saw one that was zinc coated.
mikea100
You can do it yourself - cheap and readily available. Thats what I'm doing

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-10...mp;ddkey=Search
jaxdream
QUOTE(mikea100 @ Jun 30 2011, 05:50 PM) *

Can this spray be welded to / against the edge ??? I've been using SEM weld through primer , and have to scratch away the primer in the areas that get tacked / plug welded as it really doesn't give a good condutive surface. Really more for corosion protection under the welded layered surfaces of the long / jackpost area that I'm working on to patch rusted out places . That rustolem product would be great to spray up into the longs after the por 15 metalready bath .Gonna have to get some , thanks for posting that product.

Jack
nsr-jamie
Are the inner longitudinal parts that go in the inside of the car? Are they welded to the floor pan? I have seen some people call them inner or outer and am not quite sure....next year I am going to do some rust repair on my car, my outer longitudinals are not too bad but need work but the inner longitudinal on the passenger side is quite bad and I cant seem to find a good replacement...I am talking about the parts that are inside the car that are carpeted and not the outside parts covered by the rocker panels
obscurity
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jul 1 2011, 10:33 AM) *

Are the inner longitudinal parts that go in the inside of the car? Are they welded to the floor pan? I have seen some people call them inner or outer and am not quite sure....next year I am going to do some rust repair on my car, my outer longitudinals are not too bad but need work but the inner longitudinal on the passenger side is quite bad and I cant seem to find a good replacement...I am talking about the parts that are inside the car that are carpeted and not the outside parts covered by the rocker panels

It appears I have made the same mistake. I meant to ask about the outter longitudinal/inner rocker (I have heard both)

The inner longitudinal are welded to the floorpans. It is a relativelt expensive part considering it is a basic box. I bought it because it is hard to bend 16ga steel and it came with the screew hole for the passenger seatbelt.

John
mikea100
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jul 1 2011, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(mikea100 @ Jun 30 2011, 05:50 PM) *

Can this spray be welded to / against the edge ??? I've been using SEM weld through primer , and have to scratch away the primer in the areas that get tacked / plug welded as it really doesn't give a good condutive surface. Really more for corosion protection under the welded layered surfaces of the long / jackpost area that I'm working on to patch rusted out places . That rustolem product would be great to spray up into the longs after the por 15 metalready bath .Gonna have to get some , thanks for posting that product.

Jack

Jack,

I'm planning on doing minimum welding (if any). I'll be using this panel adhesive. The edges need to be clean and thin layer of this product applied, it will act as primer. I bought the adhesive and the gun and now in the process of making templates. Another advantage is that I'm using galvanized steel for all my patch panels. I have a thread on the club site that I'll updating as I go.

http://3mcollision.com/3m-panel-bonding-adhesive-08116.html

Thanks,
Mike
obscurity
QUOTE(mikea100 @ Jul 1 2011, 03:16 PM) *

Jack,

I'm planning on doing minimum welding (if any). I'll be using this panel adhesive. The edges need to be clean and thin layer of this product applied, it will act as primer. I bought the adhesive and the gun and now in the process of making templates. Another advantage is that I'm using galvanized steel for all my patch panels. I have a thread on the club site that I'll updating as I go.

Thanks,
Mike

What panels are you replacing with the epoxy? Nothing structural I hope.

John
mikea100
QUOTE(obscurity @ Jul 1 2011, 03:21 PM) *

Jack,

Thanks,
Mike

John

Inner rocker panels, hell hole patches, small firewall access patch around hell hole, small tunel patch, the passenger side crossmember. Speaking of structual, they gue roofs and beds, I think that's structural.
obscurity
QUOTE(mikea100 @ Jul 1 2011, 03:36 PM) *

Jack,

Thanks,
Mike

John

Inner rocker panels, hell hole patches, small firewall access patch around hell hole, small tunel patch, the passenger side crossmember. Speaking of structual, they gue roofs and beds, I think that's structural.

True but they are not life safety related. The data sheet for that adhesive says that it is not for structural repairs. I would definitely weld anything that is structural.
On a related note as an architect I would only use adhesive based roofs occasionally. I usually spec mechanically fastened roofs.

Sorry if this post comes off sounding the wrong way. I'm just concerned for safety.

John
mikea100
QUOTE(obscurity @ Jul 1 2011, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(mikea100 @ Jul 1 2011, 03:36 PM) *

Jack,

Thanks,
Mike

John

True but they are not life safety related. The data sheet for that adhesive says that it is not for structural repairs. I would definitely weld anything that is structural.
On a related note as an architect I would only use adhesive based roofs occasionally. I usually spec mechanically fastened roofs.

Sorry if this post comes off sounding the wrong way. I'm just concerned for safety.

John

John,
you're absolutely right about fasteners, I consider that superior to welding. I live in NYC area and all the bridges and high rises use fasteners. I was thinking of doing that, but some places are difficult to access with fastener gun. I also consider adhesives superior to welding - this is based on my own research, I've been wrong many times before. They use adhesives on new carbon fiber Boeing 787, Airbus has been gluing tail stabilizers for a while now. The disadvantage to gluing is the wait for it to set and cure - not good for mass production evironment where time is money. In my case it's not a problem.
Thanks,
Mike.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(mikea100 @ Jul 1 2011, 04:45 PM) *

John,
you're absolutely right about fasteners, I consider that superior to welding. I live in NYC area and all the bridges and high rises use fasteners. I was thinking of doing that, but some places are difficult to access with fastener gun. I also consider adhesives superior to welding - this is based on my own research, I've been wrong many times before. They use adhesives on new carbon fiber Boeing 787, Airbus has been gluing tail stabilizers for a while now. The disadvantage to gluing is the wait for it to set and cure - not good for mass production evironment where time is money. In my case it's not a problem.
Thanks,
Mike.

The new Aston Martins are aluminum unibody that is glued together.
They were showing the process on HD theatre (I think) and the engineers said that it is stronger than welding.
mikea100
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Jul 1 2011, 05:52 PM) *

QUOTE(mikea100 @ Jul 1 2011, 04:45 PM) *

John,
Thanks,
Mike.

The new Aston Martins are aluminum unibody that is glued together.
They were showing the process on HD theatre (I think) and the engineers said that it is sronger than welding.

I saw that show and that's where I got the idea and started researching it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.